Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

.243 Win and Winchester 748

Joe4d

748 falls square in the middle of the burn rate chart for several powders I have used with good results in my 18" barreled .243. Previously my powder of choice was 4064 as I didnt loose much velocity in the shorter barrel like I did with 4350 and I was single loading with weighed charges, now I am using a 550 and need a 100-200 yard predator load. I have a supply of 65 gr hollow points and 100 gr Grand Slams(for deer). Any way I have a bunch of Win 748 and checked the chart and find it surrounded by powders listed by Hodgdon, Speer, Lyman, etc but no data anywhere. I'm gonna go on a limb and assume Hodgdon and Winchester know way more about powder than I do but dont get why a powder listed as good for 308, 223, and a bunch of other medium and light centerfires and with a burn rate where it is wouldnt make a fine 243 powder. Any body know anything ?

When I first moved away from 4064 in favor of easier measuring ball powders 748 was what I used. This for the 7mm O8 in Silhouette rifles that are fired a lot. 3000 per year average. It worked fine but finally settled on Varget because you can buy in big jugs and my local dealer stocks it.

If you use Ball powders like 748 weighing is not required, measures throw it just fine. Conserding the chance of error weighing measures are probalby better

Boats

Even if the parent case is the same, ie. .308, the bore diameter is a factor for correct burn rates. .243 likes slow powders with heavy bullets. The 748 may be fine for light varmint bullets, but, not the 100+ grain.

Look at powders for .223. H335 is great for up to 55 grain bullets, but not if you want to shoot 75 grain. Go to Hodgdon's website, they list pressures in the load data pages.

By the way, I found out about heavy bullets with fast powders in a way that makes me believe in the information. ;)

Edited by Dan Sierpina

• 2 weeks later...

My 243 has an 18 inch barrel the faster reccommended powders gave the same velocity with less powder than the slower. I am not going outside published loads. Several powders faster and slower than 748 are reccommended for the 100 gr bullet. From everything I see about 748 it seams like it should be a good powder but I see no published data. Currently I fell back to 4350. I also have new H4350 thats labled as better metering so will probably break into that. I just have an unopened can of 748 and dont need it for .223 at the moment as I got lazy and stocked up on loaded ammo for the wifes AR.

RE-19 and 100 grain plus bullets in .243 is your friend . The problem with Ball and small flake powders is temperature sensitivity (hell 4064 is even temp. sensitive) . I would have to look up the load I use to use in my tactical .243 but using RE-19 and the 105 AMAX it was a hammer .

Today, high 50's, winds 5mph or less, high humidity. Load is 43g of 4831sc and nosler 100g BT's and gave me a 10 round nickel sized group at 100 yds. Gun is a Rem700 26 in. barrel with some accurizing done and a Leupold 12x. I'm fairly happy with it at present, have some Sierra 107gn coming in next week to try out.

Today, high 50's, winds 5mph or less, high humidity. Load is 43g of 4831sc and nosler 100g BT's and gave me a 10 round nickel sized group at 100 yds. Gun is a Rem700 26 in. barrel with some accurizing done and a Leupold 12x. I'm fairly happy with it at present, have some Sierra 107gn coming in next week to try out.

Ken,

Is the barrel a factory barrel? The Sierra 107 Match Kings need an 8 inch twist. Don't be surprised if it keyholes unless the barrel isn't from Remington.

I know your looking for info on 748, But I though I might add my 2 cents, having loaded for 243 and 6mm for years. I finally settled on Win 760 for 70 grain bullets. Anything heavier then that, I go with H 4350 or H 414. I really like H 414, since it meters so nice. 4350 for some dumb reason is just a shade more accurate.

I tried 414 in 3006 for better metering in a Dillon measure. Even with the small variations with 4350 it was still more accurate than 414. I have some 100gr Grandslams loaded with 4350 I just havent shot them yet. If it works out I can eliminate a bunch of powders as I know 4350 works best in 3006 and if it works in 338 Winmag and 243 it would be the only rifle powder I would need. So far though 4831 has been better for me in 338. It just surprised me that everything I know about loading my 243 pointed to 748 being ideal for my application, based on its burn rate and metering properties. I was just surprised no data existed for it.

• 4 weeks later...

Ken,

Is the barrel a factory barrel? The Sierra 107 Match Kings need an 8 inch twist. Don't be surprised if it keyholes unless the barrel isn't from Remington.

Yeah, factory barrel. Guess I should stick with pills in the 90 gn weight family...

• 1 month later...

Ken, I have a 700 SPS 24" that I believe is a 8 1/2 twist. Fitted it with a Cooley brake and Badger BM for the wife. With 105 hor amax and 47.5 accurate magpro , I'm getting 2950 fps and sub minute accuracy at 200. Haven't tried it out farther yet. It's a ball powder and meters well on my 650.

Ken, I just checked my barrell and it is 1:9 1/4. so much for memory. The Hornady Amax 105 is listed on the box for 1in 9 twist though. bc on it is .500, pretty close to the Sierra. You might try a box and see. Also had good results with Win WMR, though this no longer made. Jim