Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Commercial ammo question

SMSI

So, Federal's defensive ammo is the same primer it just needs ran through the priming portion of a press or hand primer to get proper ignition with a competition tuned revolver?

Edited by 20nickels

For only my second post, I hate to disagree with Mike, BUT I get very nervious whenever I have seen anybody reseat a primer on a live round. If something goes bang, it will be a much bigger bang with powder and a bullet in the case.

Take a primed but otherwise empty case. Take your hand priming tool and try to get it to go bang.

I know I've seen S&WIowegan use factory Federal ammo that's had the primers pushed further with a hand primer in his Carmonized 627 with success.

One minor correction. The ammo Squibs saw me shooting was factory Winchester white box .38 Special (does NOT make minor) with the primers handset. The gun was a fully-Carmonized 627(I believe Mike's got the triggers down to 1/2# now, right?). That may be the ultimate beauty of hand-resetting primers in that we can use factory ammo.

Bob.

A16841

For only my second post, I hate to disagree with Mike, BUT I get very nervious whenever I have seen anybody reseat a primer on a live round. If something goes bang, it will be a much bigger bang with powder and a bullet in the case.

Take a primed but otherwise empty case. Take your hand priming tool and try to get it to go bang.

Yeah, Les, I know some folks worry about setting off the primer on a loaded round that way, and although I suppose it is theoretically possible, I believe the chances of it happening are infinitesimally small. I know I have reseated the primers on many thousands of rounds over the years with no loud noises--I hand reseat all my match ammo because I just don't trust my old press to properly crush-seat the primers to below flush.

That said, I would not reseat primers--or perform any sort of shooting or reloading activities--without wearing glasses. A round going off outside the chamber of a firearm ordinarily does not present any grave danger to life or limb, but it could certainly create serious eye injury if shrapnel were to go in the eyes.

Bottom line--a steady squeeze with the hand priming tool does not create any real hazard, in my opinion. But everybody needs to make his own decision, I guess.

+1 to the safety glasses. You can get an ANSI Z87 rated pair of safety glasses at your local hardware store for as little as $5. Well worth it. When I was disassembling my first 1911 for the first time, I was looking right at the recoil spring plug when I turned the bushing, not thinking to hold onto it. That sucker came flying right at my eye. If I hadn't been wearing my glasses, shooting would be real difficult now.

I have had a Federal large pistol primer go bang in my press. It took a portion off the adult diaper years of my life.

I guess I posted without thinking, I'm sure once I got the live round close to the press (if I got that far) to reseat primers I would have thought better of it. :unsure: Always wear safety glasses. Hand primer all the way. I also agree with Mike that although extremely undesireable, a round going off outside of a gun is not the devastating thing one would think .

I have had a Federal large pistol primer go bang in my press. It took a portion off the adult diaper years of my life.

I guess I posted without thinking, I'm sure once I got the live round close to the press (if I got that far) to reseat primers I would have thought better of it. :unsure: Always wear safety glasses. Hand primer all the way. I also agree with Mike that although extremely undesireable, a round going off outside of a gun is not the devastating thing one would think .

I was fetching more beers from the fridge when a friend set off about 50 primers in the primer tube of his Dillon 650 by poking in it with a piece of welding rod to free the primers which had hung in the tube. He got about 25 stitches in a couple fingers (and Dillon replaced the parts for free). Made a pretty good bang. Never seen a primer go off where an impact wasn't involved.

Is there a decent source for factory or commercially reloaded ammo that is tuned revo friendly? Round bullets, Federal primers, etc?

If you're looking for .45 ACP, the Federal American Eagle is the way to go. If you're looking for .38 Special for use in USPSA/IDPA, I've heard one person claim that Federal American Eagle makes minor from their 6" gun, while everyone else's experience (including mine) is that it doesn't. I understand that it's permitted in ICORE anyway though.

Man, there might be a niche to be filled here....... :roflol:

Seriously, if anyone needs .45 brass primed with Feds and crushed lemme know, I have a 1050 and know how to use it..... :cheers:

I too am a little skittish on seating loaded rounds in a press, but if I was at a match and was down to doing that with Federal factory ammo I would be just fine wearing some welding gloves and holding the round straight upside down so no powder fell into the primer area......FWIW

DougC

I was fetching more beers from the fridge........

I always love handloading mishap stories that start this way!! :roflol::cheers:

It's good to keep things in perspective. Alchohol enhanced stupidity.

I used to know a guy that did virtually all his handloading with a lit cigarette dangling from the corner of his mouth.

Has anyone tried Atlanta Arms and Ammo .45? The 230 Gr. load clocks in at 169PF according to AAA. Not sure on the bullet profile or primers. I know Danny has been pretty good about making small runs of ammo if demand is there. Just curious if anyone has experience with this before I ordered some.

I was fetching more beers from the fridge........

I always love handloading mishap stories that start this way!! :roflol::cheers:

I used to know a guy that did virtually all his handloading with a lit cigarette dangling from the corner of his mouth.

While drinking? :cheers:

Has anyone tried Atlanta Arms and Ammo .45? The 230 Gr. load clocks in at 169PF according to AAA. Not sure on the bullet profile or primers. I know Danny has been pretty good about making small runs of ammo if demand is there. Just curious if anyone has experience with this before I ordered some.

I haven't chronoed it but the regular AA 230 gr doesn't ignite consistently in my Carmonized tuned up 625.

I knew a guy who reloaded while chain smoking. He also carried loose live primers around in his pocket along with his loose change. When he'd dig out money for the coffee machine, there would be live primers mixed with the change.

He has passed since, too much smoking. Literally.