Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Buying bulk powder

Merlin Orr

Merlin,

What type of "bulk" are you asking about? I understand or heard that no conventional carriers will carry powder in a container holding more than 8lbs. You can have a box with several of those 8lb containers in it but they must be individually boxed. In other words, I heard you can't buy a 50lb drum of powder or anything like that. So, what I call "bulk" is kind of out. Just a big box with a bunch of small containers in it.

However, powder valley does a really good job normally. They will ship you 48lbs in one box. We have an order in right now, with shipping & hazmat added $40 to the cost. Less than $1/lb. Saved $50 over Graf's prices even though they pay the hazmat when you buy enough.

MLM

Some years ago, I saw a dealer selling powder out of the keg at a gun show. Bring your can and he would weigh out a pound at a time. I wonder how he had it shipped in, though. Fed-UP wouldn't handle it, and I don't know how much he would have had to buy to make it worthwhile for the freight company to placard a truck for it.

I used to buy 700X for trapshooting by the 10 lb can, but our club got deliveries direct from the distributor in their truck.

Well... "A guy told me that a guy told him that his brother in law...." ;)

I was told that commercial reloaders buy powder in 32 and 50 lb kegs. If true - thats what I am looking for.

That would be nice, wouldn't it? Keep digging, then share with us if you find out anything, ok? Now I am curious. I know ammo manufacturers get large quantities. I am sure they don't get 10,000 1lb jugs at a time. Gotta be a way, just is it worth it, that is another question. I'd like a couple of 50lb kegs of vihtavouri! Oh yeah!

MLM

• 2 weeks later...

Western powder in Montana is a big distributor and they have a trucking company that make a power run. When I was looking into it the would make a run to SLC about every month or so.

BTW Western Powder is the Ramshot and Acuurate powder distributor & repackager All you need is an FFL and you can buy it by the ton.

Scott

Saint Marks Powder Company in North Florida and Alabama is where Atlanta Arms,Georgia Arms and Zero get their powder from in 32# cardboard kegs. SMP does Winchester,Hodgden and IMR that I know of for sure.

They also have a plant in Garland,TX-Link to SMP locations

Link to SMP main site

What powder are you looking for? I can ask Curtis at GA Arms if I could pick a keg up and bring it to Benning for you.

Edited by 00bullitt