Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Turned my AR into a Club...now what?

ChrisStock

Had a friend load up some ammo for my AR this past week, as he has the equipment and has loaded 1,000s and 1000's of rounds for his. I load pistol for him, as I am setup for that. I have put a few hundred of his through my rifle so far without issue. I am on vacation with my Dad, and he wanted to fire an AR for the first time. Here's where it went south. Quickly.

First shot he took..seemed a tad loud to me, but I put it off to using just plugs, as Dad had borrowed my muffs.

Second shot, loud again, magazine flies out of the bottom...follower in pieces, and the magazine body looks like someone tried to stretch it out and use it for a shoe. Loose ammo everywhere rolling around on the floor. I dropped an F-bomb, and asked if he was ok, he said yes. I then cast an eye on the rifle.

Unable to pull the charging handle to the rear at all, I flipped the upper over and can see that the bolt is now colored gray instead of black, and is firmly wedged in the chamber. Actually, firm isn't the word. Dad is built like a gorilla, and he couldn't budge the charging handle either. This isn't looking good at all. Got home and attempted to use a wooden block against the charging handle with a hammer providing the force. After 6 whacks and completely destroying the piece of 2X4, I gave it up and came here.

Anyone else have suggestions before I haul it off to the 'smith to sigh over? I imagine that the bolt is ruined, and possibly the chamber as well. I have a 5 hour drive home, but will check here when I get home. I'll be able to upload pics at that point as well... sigh... gonna be a long ride.

Try using a punch (brass if you have it) against the bolt carrier rearward to unlock the bolt.

Then you MAY be able to pull the carrier annd bolt out.

The times I have seen this ...it was a barrel obstruction.and most if not all of the upper was ruined

The last one I saw was a bushmaster...and the bolt split the carrier locking the whole thing solid <_<

Jim

This does not sound good.... :ph34r:

Does you buddy also load some type of handgun ammo on the same press? Did you by chance find and look at the first piece of brass from the shot that sounded "funny?"

I would run a cleaning rod down the barrel and see if it goes all the way down to the bolt.

I have the upper and lower separated, and ran a rod all the way down, measured it, and it appears that I made it all the way to the bolt. Gave the carrier a few smacks with a punch and only managed to whack my hand once when the head of the hammer peened off the punch into the meaty area of the muscle between my thumb and 1st finger on my left hand. I don't have a steel rod of the appropriate diameter/strength to pound it out from the muzzle end, so I get to deal with the grimace that my 'smith is going to have when I walk in with a swollen hand and fused shut upper.

My buddy only loads rifle, and I am only loading pistol... we have a barter system worked out. Or maybe had one for the last 2 months. The load I have been running from him was 55GR Hornady bulk bullet, 24.5 GR 2230, WSR primer, 2.235OAL.

Just got off the road after 5 hours of white knuckle traffic and my choice of hellfire, hillbilly or hiphop radio stations. Yes, my 6 disc in dash changer took a crap on the way up to visit the old man. I am worn out. The camera is packed away, but I will get pics in the daylight tomorrow AM

Thanks for the suggestions so far, folks.

Chris, try the guys over on AR15.com too. More ideas can't hurt. I haven't seen that before (thank heaven). Just glad your Dad's ok.

What a shame - you just got that thing together a month or so ago didn't you ?

JimInFL

Typically, to get a bolt carrier unstuck: While pulling down on the charging handle, smack the butt-stock down on a hard surface all at the same time. Use the energy from the hard strike on the but-stock to help you pull the charging handle. This will not be a gentle process. Now, if the charging handle is messed up or the bolt is broken and locked up in the barrel extension, might not work. That is what I would do though.

Chris,

Keep in mind that the bolt cannot back out without turning, therefore you cannot put a rod down the bore and pound it out. You need to pull the carrier back so that the bolt can rotate, unlock, and then back out. If you had a "slide hammer style dent puller" you can try to attach it to the carrier and have at it.

Good luck

Chris Martin's technique helped me get it started enough to get enough of the bolt carrier out to work with ;) Once I had it protruding out enough, I used the pivot pin block on the rear as a fulcrum, and used an open end wrench as a lever to work the carrier and bolt out.

The carrier looks new, and fits in fine now. The bolt, OTOH is a paperweight at this point. It seems that I had a piece of brass disintegrate into a half dozen or so pieces and it bent the extractor into the chamber causing the lockup. It looks just like I had attempted to pry the extractor out of the boltface with a screwdriver. Ruined.

I had a nice long talk with GentlemanJim on the phone, and he pointed me to a few other things I needed to check before I remove myself from the gene pool permanently. Thanks, Jim, you came through and saved me further grief. I'll owe you a dinner if we meet up :cheers:

I sat down and checked most of the questionable rounds with my reloading buddy, and everything looks to be in place so far. It appears to be a shoddy piece of personally 1x fired Rem brass that disintegrated. It looks like the head just flew into 5 pieces lodging in all kinds of bad places guaranteed to ruin my day.

I have a few more things to look at to insure further safe operation per Jim, and I'll be back in business.

Thanks everyone for the pointers that got me moving forward again..you guys are the best! :D

Chris

If it was defective brass it would have come apart the first time it was fired. Pull a couple bullets and weigh the powder charges and examine the look of the powder to see if it looks like the right powder, also check the crimp, looking for possible bullet setback. This was caused by an obstructed bore( my bet since the first shot sounded wrong), too much powder, the wrong powder or extreme bullet setback.

....Just got off the road after 5 hours of white knuckle traffic and my choice of hellfire, hillbilly or hiphop radio stations. Yes, my 6 disc in dash changer took a crap on the way up ....

Put down the rifle, and get your priorities straight.

http://www.sirius.com/ :cheers:

If I had to give up my AR or satellite radio, I'd give up the AR. Really.

OK, I know that doesn't help the original problem, but it will at least let you fret less on those long drives.

....Just got off the road after 5 hours of white knuckle traffic and my choice of hellfire, hillbilly or hiphop radio stations. Yes, my 6 disc in dash changer took a crap on the way up ....

Put down the rifle, and get your priorities straight.

http://www.sirius.com/ :cheers:

If I had to give up my AR or satellite radio, I'd give up the AR. Really.

OK, I know that doesn't help the original problem, but it will at least let you fret less on those long drives.

Don't give up on that AR just yet. Today Sirius XM radio announced a 4.88 billion dollar 3rd qtr loss. Stock price has dropped from a $2.74 high in July to today's price of 25 cents. The talking heads on CNBC seem to think bankruptcy is in the near future.

Bill