Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

I Had To Put My Dog Down Today!

lynn jones

My chow crossed the line once to many times saturday. i was going to give the dog a bath. no big deal, done it before. i lean down to pick her up, "WHAM" bite to the face and eye. she has had "hot spots" in the past, a clear sign not to mess with her, of course. not this time. i was so pissed off, it took lots of self control not to go get the blaster and blast her. my face looks likes like i was beat up by my wife. anyway i took her to the vet today and had her put down. i really like that dog, but you just can't have a dog that is unpredictable and bits the hand...

sad day for the jones.

Sorry to hear about that.

Aren't Chows kinda strange anyway?

A friend of mine had a 80lb German Shepard and a 40lb Chow. They were both mean dogs, but there was something about that Chow. He just looked right through me....he seemed too smart. <_<

thanks guys for the support.

this was the second chow i owned. the first chow was so sweet and nice. she would rather you pet her than eat her food. this last chow was too much "ALPHA FEMALE". i still have a shelty collie, but i need another dog, any suggestions? chows excluded.

AikiDale

I can recommend the Bullmastiff

that kind of dog would eat me out of house and home, and poop me out of yard! :D

Lynn,

As a fellow dog nut (I like most dogs better than most people...) I'm sorry to hear about your dog problems and glad you weren't hurt worse.

Breeds? I have an australian shepherd mix right now, and she's almost too smart...she had food guarding issues as a pup, but we got that straightened out before it got out of hand.

Had a Dalmation in high school and she was great too, but very high maintenance...needed lots of excercise

to prevent restless mischief. (a tired dog is a good dog :))

Have you considered a pound rescue? Lots of good dogs in there, and many won't need housebreaking...although most want a puppy.

I would definitely reccomend an Australian Shepherd for a purebred. that'll likely be our next one. Good size, extremely intelligent. They have herding instincts around small kids, but that's easily trained out.

Good Luck in your search,

SA

Sorry to hear about your loss Lynn, We lost one of our dogs a couple of weeks ago as well. Unfortunately the old girl had lost most of her hearing and could not get out from under my sons bronco fast enough. The good news is that there was quick. We are looking at Labs because of the short hair (we live in a grove that is full of stickers) and the nice attitude around the kids. It looks like EricW may lean towards them as well. When I was a young buck my best friend’s dad had an Australian shepherd and she was a great dog. I think that most breeds of dogs can be taught to be smart, loyal, and friendly pets. It has a great deal to do with the upbringing that you give them. Good luck and let us know what you end up with.

Jim

Lynn,

I used the personality test to pick my dog. I rolled her on her back to see how hard she fought and how insecure she was. I also did the "shaker can" (a pop can with a penny in it) around her to see if she spooked easily. My pup chased the can. The rest of the puppies whimpered and ran off. That's how I knew who my dog would be.

You need to do the test several times - maybe over a couple of visits. It will become apparent which pup is the right one for you and your family.

[Wrongness Mode ON]

I know this is totally un-PC and I'll get the hell blasted out of me for it, but I won't deal with pound puppies just because of the unpredictable temperaments. Rarely do pound puppies work out well. They almost always have some type of insecurity or have suffered abuse or deprivation which leads to biting, fear agression, submissive peeing, or whatever. I would cough up the dough and find a very reputable breeder to work with. It's not a guarantee of good temperament, but it's an excellent baseline. The money spent on good bloodlines is the cheapest part of buying a dog, so you might as well get your monies worth.

Get your puppy at 7 weeks - no later than 8 so you and your family can really bond with it. Most people think this is way too early, but there have been studies that this is the best time to get a dog to get it to bond with you.

That said, I'm hooked on labs. I had kids riding my dog like a pony over New Years Eve. Both the kids and the dog had a wonderful time. :)

[/ End Free and possibly bad advice mode]

I'm with Erik on this one. Labs are great dogs, though they often need lots of excercise. Generally speaking, the breeds used for hunting are pretty cool. They're reliable, non-agressive and just pretty easy to have around the house. Of course, the owner can make or break a dogs behaviour. But since you all sound like dog nuts :) (I too like most dogs better than most people), I don't think that will be the problem.

Well if you want harmless excitement , get a Siberian Husky. We've had three and they're people lovers. They like to play and they like to run. They have a protective streak but it's not the uncontrollable type that some shepards get. And not a flame but my daughter picked up a black (and I mean black, including tongue) Chow/Akita mix puppy from the County Pound and he is a blast. The amazing thing is he doesn't have a mean bone in his body. No aggressive or mean tendencies and he house trained in a day. He and the Husky male we have now play until they drop.

On the down side of the Huskys, they blow a coat twice a year. It can be really ugly! :D

Sorry for the edit, I seem to be losing my spelling ability. :rolleyes:

Lynn,

You have my sympathies. Best of luck.

Well, I'm gonna have to put in a vote for pound dogs. Having grown up with pure breeds and buying our first dog as a pure bred, they are all great dogs. Shipster - I have to agree with you on the Labs, what an animal they are. Anyway, we picked up a pound dog (puppy) and she has been just the greatest thing. We think she is Springer Spaniel and Border Collie, but who really knows. She's a lover, who doesn realize that she's bigger than she thinks she is (or simply doesn't care). Lot of great dogs go to the pound, you may have good luck.

DP

Wow, I kinda freeked out when I first saw this thread _because_ a good friend, WFMFT, called today to say that he might be coming by for a visit this weekend because, he had to put his dog (Akita) down (old age) yesterday and he might be driving to Tucson (from SLC!) to get an eight month old (Akita) puppy.

I felt so bad for him because I know how much he and his wife loved their dog, Zuma. (Yes, the Neil Young album.) So, I'm very sorry to hear about your loss, Lynn.

Best of luck to you in your (dog, or just in general) future.

be

thanks brian and everyone,

funny, i was thinging of getting a akita. i kinda like having unusual dogs. one of the funny things about chows and akitas is that they are clean, meaning they find one spot in the yard to poop in. field dogs go where ever.

the aussie shepard is interesting, but there isn't a breeder around here.

labs are great, i know, but the can be a handful. labs seem not to grow up for about 2 years.

i'm going to wait awhile on a new pup, i still have the sheltie collie. this sheltie is high maintance, thyriod problems, skin problems, but she doesn't bite. :D

again, thank for the advise.

lynn

labs are great, i know, but the can be a handful. labs seem not to grow up for about 2 years.

Yup. If you don't have a huge fenced yard, or don't have the extra hour or two a day to run your dog, a lab isn't for you. I work my dog morning and evening, then take her for a 3 mile run, stop mid-run to let her play in a field because I don't run fast enough....and she still isn't tired when we're done.

Sounds like my Dalmation...

When I was in high school, we'd go for a 3mile run in august ( Ohio august is 95 degrees with 95% humidity)

We'd get back and I'd put her in her kiddie pool to cool off, I come back out and she's swimming across the lake chasing ducks...They are not for the lazy.

SA

A former employer of mine still has her chow dog. Nasty and snippy thing. I just keep my distance. <_<:angry:

Lynn, I'm really sorry about YOUR dog, though...... :(

SA--

re: Dalmatians ("they're not for the lazy...") Ditto for the Giant Schnauzer. Range owners here have one and it turned out to be much more than they bargained for! :o

My current employer has a golden Lab. Never seen anything so passive. But he's harmless. Gets hurt every time he goes out to run. The boss brings him to the office and he becomes out CCO (Chief Canine Officer) for the day. They also go out for lunch and run thru the local Willamette River. Dog comes back smelling like rotting garbage but happy for the run. :P

My personal fave dog: Just GOTTA be the Doberman. :wub: GOTTA be. Never known a bad one--ever. B)