Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Singlestack Mags for Trojan

smokshwn

I am trying to decide between

Tripps 9rd 10mm mags

Wilson 500 Series Tactical Mags

Wilson 47NX mags with the extended basepad

I know any of the mags has a good history/reputation of reliable feeding and function. However my concern is finding the right combination of magazine and base pad configuration to allow smooth reloads and no interference between the mags and the Techwell SP.

Thanks in advance, Craig

I use the Tripp. With that being said I am sure any would be excellent. As to interference... Any of the "newer" style mags with the big angled base pad has to be judiciously touched upon with a scotchbrite wheel to fit my magwells (SVI). Mostly at the front part of the sides and around the "nose" of the base pad. When you are contouring the basepad be sure to press it in as far as you can with your thumb to ensure it has clearance just a little past what is required to latch it.

My .02 :)

Edited by Merlin Orr

The mags, pads, slidestop and bullets all need to be set up together for a 40 SS to run the way you want it. Tripp 10mm 9 round mags look great but nose dived rounds alot with the 1.130 ammo I had to use because the Edbrown Barrel would only accept very short ammo. Metal form extended 40 mags (spacer) worked well. When I set it up for IDPA I ended up reaming my barrel to accept 1.170 ammo that my Para and STI run now I am using Metal form 10mm normal length 9 round mags I imagine with the longer ammo Tripps word work now, But I pretty much have a combo that works for me. Best advice is to figure out what ammo you want to run then beg borrow steal or buy one of each figure out what works for you.

Hello: Metalform 45 mags work great if you load to 1.180. I like the ones with the round top steel follower. Thanks, Eric

O/K If we are going there,my favorite 40 mags are the old 7 round ( CHEAP! ) 45 mags!!!

They hold 8 rounds of 40, NO need to count ( 9 rounds after the LMR will send you to open ) very little work if any to make these run 100% with 40 cal

Kevin

Edited by blue edge

When I bought my Trojan I got a Tripp 9rd 10mm system mag, Wilson 47NX, and McCormick 9r 10mm mags, plus a couple of others I can't recall. I used the DE basepads on the Wilsons and trimmed the front to fit the box. The Tripp just needed a touch of trimming up front to have a little margin of error in the box and I used a standard basepad with a plastic spacer to make the McCormick long enough. All function in the gun and work fine except for one problem.

If I loaded the Tripp with 8rds, put it in the gun and then shot one or two rounds it wouldn't drop free from the gun...or from slide lock, if I put it in the gun, dropped the slide and hit the mag release it would hang up. What was happening was that the top round mas moving forward just slightly and this was spreading the feed lips out enough that they'd drag on the inside of the frame. It's not frequent, but there are times when you may have to do that shooting single stack...maybe you went to slide lock and have a long run so you reload, release the slide, dump that mag and insert another so that you won't have to go to slide lock every single array afterwards. Try that with the Tripp's and you're stuck pulling a stuck mag out with your fingers.

After all of that I bought a bunch more Wilson 47NX's and they've been great. R,

When I bought my Trojan I got a Tripp 9rd 10mm system mag, Wilson 47NX, and McCormick 9r 10mm mags, plus a couple of others I can't recall. I used the DE basepads on the Wilsons and trimmed the front to fit the box. The Tripp just needed a touch of trimming up front to have a little margin of error in the box and I used a standard basepad with a plastic spacer to make the McCormick long enough. All function in the gun and work fine except for one problem.

If I loaded the Tripp with 8rds, put it in the gun and then shot one or two rounds it wouldn't drop free from the gun...or from slide lock, if I put it in the gun, dropped the slide and hit the mag release it would hang up. What was happening was that the top round mas moving forward just slightly and this was spreading the feed lips out enough that they'd drag on the inside of the frame. It's not frequent, but there are times when you may have to do that shooting single stack...maybe you went to slide lock and have a long run so you reload, release the slide, dump that mag and insert another so that you won't have to go to slide lock every single array afterwards. Try that with the Tripp's and you're stuck pulling a stuck mag out with your fingers.

After all of that I bought a bunch more Wilson 47NX's and they've been great. R,

+1 to this. I have had the exact same experiences.