Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

CHA-LEE's Tale

CHA-LEE

Sean> Thanks for the feedback. I totally understand where you are coming from. As I stated in my match overview on this, I need to video myself shooting steel using the "Pick a spot to aim at" method so I can get a true understanding of how long it actually takes in real time. I know that there are many situations where my "this is taking forever" observation during a stage run is actually nonexistent while watching the video later. This shooting review process is more of a confidence builder to confirm that I am not wasting time by over aiming at the steel. Once I can confirm that I am not wasting time by over aiming I will be able to stop worrying about the "Observation" mid stage run that I am taking forever to shoot the steel.

The brain is a funny thing to work with. Or at least my brain is. I continually find that what I observe or experience during a stage run in association with how much time the task at hand is taking rarely matches real time. For me, its more of a process of being OK with my brain incorrectly interpreting the time things take and simply let the task at hand take as long as it takes and KNOW that it is fast enough without needing to inject additional urgency into the situation.

The better I get at this stuff the more I realize that the primary road block(s) are not associated with mechanical gun handling, physical shooting process or movement but instead artificial mental road blocks or making the wrong decisions based on invalid or imaginary observed/experienced feedback. I don't know if its possible to fully understand the subconscious and its physics defying observations. But its a fun voyage trying to understand what is going on at the subconscious level and attempt to nudge it in one direction or another.

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The brain is a funny thing to work with. Or at least my brain is. I continually find that what I observe or experience during a stage run in association with how much time the task at hand is taking rarely matches real time. For me, its more of a process of being OK with my brain incorrectly interpreting the time things take and simply let the task at hand take as long as it takes and KNOW that it is fast enough without needing to inject additional urgency into the situation.

You are right! visual patience/when your sub-conscience it telling you to go fast, or you are too slow is sometimes hard to teach/understand and achieve from a shooter just starting off, or it may take years to understand it, and I think it takes this understanding to move forward. Because we both know that the only thing that is concrete is the reading on the clock. The easy answer which is used a lot is "shoot your sights" but you are beyond that. I would be interested in knowing what else you find out.

This weekend I shot two local USPSA club matches. Its nice to get back into the normal swing of things of attending local club matches. On Saturday I showed up early to the match with my buddy Conrad and we worked hard to setup the stages. This match only had about 30 shooters in attendance and we did three squads so there weren’t a lot of shooters on each squad. I think our squad only had 8 – 9 shooters so we all had to work non-stop ROing, taping, brassing, and what not to churn through the stages. I was trying to focus on picking an aiming spot for steel and had mixed results. It worked good on some stages or parts of stages, then I would revert back to my old ways. I think a lot of that was simply not having enough down time before shooting the stage to properly program the stage and I felt like I had to “Wing it” quite a few times. ROing or taping targets right up until its your turn to shoot will do that. I wrote off the match as a failure all together because I simply wasn’t focused.

On Sunday I attended the Pueblo USPSA match and had more fun and down time before shooting the stages so this allowed me to shoot the steel better. On the first two stages of the match I was thinking about way too much crap while shooting and my performance was really clunky. I am finding that trying to think about shooting or performing differently during a match is not the best situation to be in. I really need to dedicate a few solid practice days to testing out different methods of shooting steel then burn in the proper method. Trying stuff out during stage runs during the match isn’t good and all it does is build frustration. About half way through the match I made the decision to stop trying to change or command things and simply revert to my known methods and my stage runs overall were better. I gave away quite a few match points on the first three stages of the day, but performed pretty solidly on the next three.

With fall officially “here” in Colorado the weather is starting to get colder and unpredictable. So getting good weather to practice or attend matches will be harder to come by. I want to spend a day and about 500 rounds with some steel some time soon. Hopefully this can happen next weekend.

This past weekend I shot two local USPSA club matches. The first one on Saturday was the monthly match that I serve as the Match Director. So it was an early morning and a lot of work putting the match together and getting everything ready to rumble. The cold fall morning weather is here and it was in the low 30’s during setup. I worried that the cold would drive away a lot of shooters as the first few “Cold” matches of the fall usually don’t get a lot of attendance. We ended up with 33 shooters total which was down from the 45 – 50 we usually get. But there was enough shooters and helpers to make the match run smoothly.

I was focused on making sure that the match ran well and not so much on my own shooting. This showed in several of my stage runs. Mainly in sloppy shooting and poor on target hits. I had 2 misses and 6 D’s for the match which is really crappy. Its amazing how much harder it is to focus on the shooting and stage plans when you are worried about the match actually running smoothly. The good thing is that the match went well and everyone had fun. I like it when a match happens with no drama and runs smoothly.

On Sunday I attended the USPSA match up in Ft Collins. The weather forecast called for cold temps in the morning with a high of 45 and rain at around 2PM. When we got to the range it was super windy. So windy that a couple of stages had to be reconfigured to remove walls because they couldn’t be kept from blowing down. Then it was drizzling on and off most of the day making it even more cold. We basically bundled up in full winter gear. Then when it was your turn to shoot you tore off your coat and gloves, made ready and shot the stage as quickly as you could so you could get back to wearing your coat and gloves. The gray overcast skies made seeing my sights a challenge and I ended up point shooting quite a bit of stuff through the match because I couldn’t pull my focus back to my sights. I should have swapped the front FO rod to a Neon Orange, but the FO rod I had was a little too big and wouldn’t fit properly in the holes of the front sight. I shot an ok match given the weather conditions but it wasn’t anything special. Running the trigger fast and breaking clean shots with frozen fingers is a hard challenge.

Tonight I am going to the indoor USPSA match down in Colorado springs. I switched my front FO over to the Neon Orange color in hopes of being able to see my front sight better at this indoor range. I also want to use the Orange FO for a couple of normal outdoor matches in order to get use to it for the Area 2 match where I WILL need to use it early in the morning. Maybe it will really make a difference, or maybe its just something different to think about or pull my attention to because it is different? It will be fun to see how it affects my shooting in both good and bad lighting conditions.

Last night I shot the indoor USPSA match using an Orange Fiber in the front sight. This was an interesting test. On all stages the different color was distracting in the sight picture as I was really not use to seeing orange in the place where green should be. But the important thing is that I was actually able to see the orange where as I usually can’t see the green very well indoors. So being able to see something instead of nothing is a plus. I had to rely on my index quite a bit as seeing a clear front sight and rear notch was not happening. I could see an orange dot though and simply put the orange dot on my target and used that to call my shots. I had several called marginal or bad shots which I made up and totally needed when looking at the targets. It is going to take a while to get use to seeing an orange dot in the sight picture though as it is strange and kind of distracting. But maybe that is the whole point in it working good. It is distracting and pulls my attention to it better because it is different? The mind is a strange tool to work with.

I am going to leave the orange FO in the front sight and give it a try at this coming weekends outdoor matches. In my past testing with the orange FO it was way too bright outdoors and all I could see was the FO and nothing else. But I have an idea of using tinted lenses in my shooting classes to slightly mute the bright orange FO. That is at least my idea on it. We will see how it goes. I am planning on doing some testing this week after work in my back yard to see which lenses work the best for full day light combined with the orange FO.

My primary goal is to come up with a front sight setup that will allow me to see something first thing in the morning at the Area 2 match. They start super early with the sun just starting to come up when the first stage starts shooting. The morning stages at the Area 2 have been my Achilles heel because I couldn’t see my sights in the low light conditions. Hopefully I can come up with a good solution for this and get use to shooting with it before I head out to the match.

As you know, I love the orange FO. But if the bulb is left too big, it's too bright outdoors.

Yeah, I am using the smallest "bulb" possible. I am actually pretty excited to give the Orange FO a try this weekend with sunglasses instead of the clear lenses I have been using. Maybe it will work and be better or maybe it will suck and I won't be able to see my sights at all. We will see how it goes.

This past weekend I used the Orange FO in the front sight with my photochromatic clear shooting glasses. The match on Saturday had a bunch of “Shadow” targets and this new FO/Glasses setup worked great. On the really shadowy targets I could clearly see the FO in the front sight even though I couldn’t see the edges of the iron sights very well. In some situations my only sight feedback was the FO dot to use for calling my shots so I had to rely on my index to ensure that the sights were actually aligned, but I was at least able to see SOMETHING instead of nothing so I was able to call my shots. The sunglasses got just dark enough to keep the orange FO from being overwhelming so I could still see the edges of the iron sight when the targets were not in the shadows. Seeing the Orange colored FO in the sight picture was different though and slightly distracting. It is going to take a little while to get use to seeing an Orange FO in the sight picture instead of the Green. During the match, I didn’t have any shooting penalties but I did rack up 5 D zone hits. It sucks to have so many D’s but the cool thing is that I called every one of those shots marginal and they were exactly that. There wasn’t much steel in this match but one stage had six big poppers and I was able to quickly pick an aiming spot on each popper and shot them all aggressive one for one. Cool stuff!!!

On Sunday I went out to the range to get a bunch of live fire practice in on both paper and steel . I brought about 700 rounds with me and was able to shoot it all up doing various stage runs and steel drills. Shooting that much in one day is a lot for me but it was well worth the time and effort. By the end of the day I was getting use to the orange FO in the sight picture so I wasn’t as distracted by the different color of it. I am really liking the Orange FO used with the photochromatic clear lenses. The shooting glasses get tinted just enough to mute the bright orange FO so its not overwhelming. Its also a lot easier on my eyes having tinted lenses while at the range all day.

The only bad thing to report during the training session is that I had a failure to extract error once while doing some super fast shooting. This happened once before a couple of weeks ago while screwing around shooting a popper really fast. I think that my extractor spring is getting a little weak and its causing the issue. Since its been about 2500 rounds since my last detailed strip and cleaning I decided it would probably be best to do it after the practice session. When I got home I fully disassembled the gun and inspected everything. I didn’t find any abnormalities like cracks or excessively worn parts, which is a good thing. The extractor spring did feel a little weaker than normal so I replaced it while putting everything back together. There are only a couple of weeks left before I head out for the Area 2 match so I want to make sure everything is working properly before I leave. Hopefully I will be able to get enough shooting in between now and the Area 2 match to get fully use to the orange FO in the sight picture.

Are your shooting glasses corrective lenses? If so, I'm curious if you've ever used contacts vs glasses? I've worn contacts for over 20 years but lately I seem to be having some trouble focusing quickly from near to far and back. I've been wondering if switching to glasses might be better. I know some top shooters like Manny wear glasses and I've always wondered why not just contacts, assuming you can wear them?

Are your shooting glasses corrective lenses? If so, I'm curious if you've ever used contacts vs glasses? I've worn contacts for over 20 years but lately I seem to be having some trouble focusing quickly from near to far and back. I've been wondering if switching to glasses might be better. I know some top shooters like Manny wear glasses and I've always wondered why not just contacts, assuming you can wear them?

My shooting glasses are not corrective lenses. I got LASIK done a few years ago so I don't need corrective lenses or contacts any more. The shooters I know that do use corrective lenses prefer to use Glasses verses Contacts at the range simply due to the reduced chance of dust in their eyes causing issues with the contacts. I have seen many shooters start out with contacts but then switch to normal glasses due to the dust issue and needing to deal with contacts at the range.

This is shaping up to being a very busy “Weekend” of shooting. On Friday night I attended the annual “Halloween Match” at the Boulder Rifle Club indoor range. This match is hosted by the Indoor Combat Pistol club and the match is basically an IDPAish style match with time plus scoring. The stage was one large 60 round course of fire with very challenging skeleton targets and one “Boss” to engage in each shooting position. The “Boss” was a famous horror movie bad guy like Jason from Friday the 13th or Freddy Kruger from Nightmare on Elm street. You had to shoot the skeletons in the white part of the bones and the bosses had a normal USPSA style target that was covered by a shirt. The skeletons were pretty hard shots in normal lighting but they decided to make the stage a low light condition as well which made it a very difficult shooting challenge. I initially wanted to shoot the stage with my Limited gun but I brought my M&P 45 with night sights just in case they did a low light stage. I was SUPER glad that I brought the M&P 45 as it was needed for the low light shooting conditions. I shot the stage solidly and got all of my hits, which only about 2 – 3 shooters were able to do. But I engaged one array of targets out of order from what was required and ended up getting a 60 second procedural as a penalty. It sucks to get a procedural like that due to a simple target engagement order error, but it is what it is. It was fun shooting my M&P 45 and its night sights worked great. The hardest part of the stage was actually shooting the white part of the skeletons as my brain kept screaming “IT’S A NO SHOOT!!!”. It’s hard to force myself to actually shoot at a white target.

On Saturday I did some training with two local shooters. The bays that I normally use for the training to setup a specific field course stage were being used so we had to improvise and use a different bay with a limited set of props. Even though we didn’t have a ton of props to work with we were still able to get a lot of good training done. I was able to help each shooter identify multiple issues and provide solutions. The weather was nice but windy that day so it was a decent day at the range. If it wasn’t windy the weather would have been perfect. It was fun doing some training with these guys and its always cool to see the light bulb go on when they make a discovery.

On Sunday I attended a local USPSA match at the Aurora Gun Club. This was an interesting match in the way that every single stage was very accuracy biased. There was hard cover and no shoots all over the place and head shot only targets on every single stage except for the classifier. If you were not giving these difficult shots the respect they deserved you were going to get killed by racking up a bunch of shooting penalties. This was an Open gun friendly match with all of these difficult shots and it showed in the overall match results. I was using my new Orange FO front sight with Photochromatic sunglasses setup and this worked very good. Given the time of year and the angle of the sun in the sky almost all of the targets in the match were in a “Shadow” condition and this mixed with a boat load of hard cover made for some marginal sight pictures. There were a couple of stages that all I could see on the heavy shadow targets with hard cover was the orange FO in the front sight so I had to rely on my index to make sure that the front sight was lined up in the rear notch properly. This bit me on one stage where I pulled a shot into the hard cover but didn’t even call it a bad shot and then ended up with another miss on a head shot that I called marginal but it ended up being a miss. Having two misses on one stage pretty much sunk my chances of winning the match against the open shooters. But I am happy to report that on the classifier I was able to shoot the steel very aggressively and call each shot on a specific aiming spot. I really think that the slightly more distracting Orange FO allowing me to wait for it to be on the proper aiming spot on the steel before breaking the shot. I am also getting use to seeing the Orange FO in the sight picture so its not really distracting any more keeping me from shooting in a subconscious state.

I am going to attend the indoor match down in Colorado Springs tonight. This is my last opportunity to get some match shooting in before I head down to Arizona for the Area 2 match. I replaced all of my magazine springs again last night so this indoor match will give me a chance to test out the new springs and make sure that everything is working properly. I hate going to major matches with untested gear or gun/mag components. So hopefully I can get a chance to prove that all of the new springs will work properly tonight.

Last night I attended the Whistling Pines Indoor USPSA match. It was 4 stages of blasting entertainment. My experiment for this match was to use my Photochromatic clear glasses instead of the standard clear lenses. The Photochromatic clear lenses are a little darker than the standard clear lenses and I could tell on every stage. I was barely able to see the orange FO on the front sight on most of the stages and if the lighting wasn’t just right I was left with pretty much nothing to look at while shooting. So that test was a fail, but a good test to do.

The third stage into the match was the classifier stage and I had a strange failure to extract jam. A spent case basically hung around the ejection port and got stuck backwards in the chamber area. This is the same type of inconsistent extraction jam that I have seen before and thought that replacing the extractor spring would resolve. I was able to test fire about 40 rounds through the gun, simply blasting into the back berm and watched the ejection of the brass. Most of the brass would fling out properly at a high velocity but then a few would just dribble out of the gun. I have been using the same 8lb recoil spring for at least 2500 rounds now so I am thinking that it has probably softened up to 6 – 7lbs and there is a crazy amount of slide velocity as the slide cycles back. This mega jam pretty much sunk my overall match performance so I shot the last stage crazy and ended up with a miss to dig the performance hole deeper.

When I got home I put a new 8lb recoil spring in the gun and it felt a little stiffer when manually cycling the slide, so the recoil spring has in fact lightened up. Then I took the extractor out and took a close look at the hook on the tip. The edge that pulls on the rim of the case was really slippery when compared to a new extractor so I think there may be a situation where the extractor is actually slipping off of the rim of the case at some point in the middle of the extraction process. I put a new extractor in the gun and did a bunch of manual cycling of rounds through the gun to make sure it works properly on the bench. It should work properly but I still have to live fire test it to prove that it will work properly. Swapping the recoil spring and extractor right before heading out to the Area 2 match is making me nervous. I am going to do my best to get to the range sometime today or tomorrow to test this blaster out to make sure it will actually work properly.

This past weekend I attended the Area 2 match down in Phoenix. Right before leaving for this match I was battling an inconsistent failure to eject jam on my new Limited gun. I tried replacing the Extractor and Extractor spring then did some live fire testing but it kept jamming inconsistently. When I got home after testing it I looked at the brass and noticed that the there were sharp nicks on the extreme outer edge of the brass where the ejector prong was hitting. I looked at where the ejector prong height where it enters the breach face and compared it to my backup gun and noticed that it was lower on the new gun. I replaced the Sear Cage with a new one as the ejector prong is integrated into the sear cage. The new sear cage had a higher entry point for the ejector prong so I hoped that it would fix the issue. But I didn’t have time to live fire test it before flying out to the Area 2 match. The next day we flew to Phoenix and checked out the Stages. After checking out the stages I went up to the public range and shot 40 rounds through the gun and it didn’t have any failure to eject issues. I was only able to bring 40 extra rounds with me to the match due to the limitations of checking ammo on the plane, so I could only hope that it would work properly during the rest of the match. I did inspect the brass fired and there were not nicks on the edge of the rim like it was before so I was pretty confident that the issue was resolved. I was happy to find that the gun ran flawlessly through the whole match and that was nice.

The stages at this years Area 2 match were very accuracy biased. There were hard cover and no shoot partial targets on every single stage. There were also some tricky swingers and clam shells to deal with which is normal for this match. I think that the biggest surprise for me was the amount of ports used on the stages. Every single field course had walls with ports and most of them were at varying low heights that were just below my normal shooting stance. This meant that a lot of shooting was done from a strange crouched or hunched over stance which was pretty awkward. Shooting from this more crouched or hunched over stance really changed how the sights tracked during recoil so I ended up shooting a lot slower than normal in a lot of these port positions. I am going to have to do a lot of live fire testing in this crouched lower than normal shooting position to see if I can fix the inconsistent sight tracking issue.

My new Orange FO sight setup with Photochromatic sunglasses worked ok on the first day as we started in the afternoon, but I kept them the sunglasses on one stage too long as the sun was going down and the lighting was getting worse. I switched back to the clear lens glasses and used those for the rest of the match as we were on the morning schedule the last two days of shooting. The Orange FO worked out well for the less than optimal lighting conditions and shadow targets. But I finally realized my primary “sight seeing” issue at this match. I could call my shots well in the very early morning or late evening when the lighting was the same on all targets. But once the sun came up and some of the targets were fully in the light and others were still in the shadows, that is when I really had a hard time calling my shots on the shadow targets. On the shadow targets I would end up with a hard target focus and couldn’t pull my focus back to the sights. This rapid transition between engaging fully lit up targets and other targets in heavy shadows really screws with my focus on the sights. It also does not help that a lot of the “Shadow” targets had a lot of hard cover on them already making them even harder to see in the shadows. All but one of my misses for the match were on these shadow hard cover targets which I ended up point shooting because I couldn’t focus back onto the sights. I am not sure what the solution is going to be for this type of target lighting situation. For local club matches we usually don’t end up with this kind of lighting because we shoot in the prime lighting part of the day. Maybe I will have to try to replicate this kind of lighting situation inside my house and test it out in dry fire.

Due to the shadow / hard cover target misses I was racking up shooting penalties at an alarming rate. All together I ended up with 5 misses and 3 No Shoots. Given that I was racking up at least one miss or no shoot on multiple stages in a row I was getting pretty bummed out on my overall match performance. This lead me to start shooting some stages way more conservative than I normally would and this did yield a shooting penalty free stage, but a slow stage time. I know I could have shot at least four of the stages a second or two faster by simply shooting more aggressively, but some times you have to simply survive a couple of stages to bring your moral back up.

In the end I finished 7th overall in Limited at 83% of Nils Jonasson. Nils DESTROYED everyone at this match by a huge 7% margin over second place. That is a crazy ass beating to put on everyone in this difficult match. I guess there is a reason why he is the Limited National Champion.

I was able to get all of my stage runs on video and I have uploaded them to my YouTube channel. I wanted to thank Brandon DuBois for taking awesome video of every single stage run. He is a great guy and really fun to shoot with. Hopefully we can do some more matches together in 2014.

This past weekend I did my duty as Match Director for the local High Plains Practical Shooters club match. We setup 6 fun stages to shoot and the weather was decent from a temperature perspective but pretty crappy from a wind perspective. The wind came up not too long after setup was done and it got steadily worse as the day went on. We were able to get all of the stages shot before the wind started ripping up stages so that was good. But being blasted by wind all day really takes it out of you.

As always in these matches that I MD I really don’t have time to check out the stages from a competitor perspective before the start of the match so I had to figure out the best plan for each stage as we got to the bays while shooting the match. Since I didn’t have a ton of time to break down the stages and burn in a stage plan I reverted to using pretty basic plans and keeping a hard focus on my sights. I used my Orange FO sight setup with the Photochromatic sunglasses and it worked out well. I only needed a couple of make up shots on steel by rushing shots but I was able to call all of my paper shots without any issues. For the match I ended up with 5 D’s which isn’t good, but I didn’t have any misses or no shoots which was good because we had a bunch of partial targets in the match.

For this match I was also using a new set of shooting shoes called the Fellraiser from Salomon. I was using the Salomon Speedcross 3 shoes which work great but they can feel a little squirmy on hard surfaces due to the ultra soft rubber cleats. I tried a pair of Salomon Fellcross shoes which have a slightly stiffer rubber used on the cleats. Those worked great in both soft and hard surfaces but they didn’t fit my feet very well from a width perspective and my feet would start hurting pretty bad after a match day wearing them. Salomon just released a new version of shoe called the Fellraiser and this shoe has the same stiffer rubber for the cleats but has a wider build. I used these new shoes for the first time at the Area 2 match and they worked and felt awesome over the four days that I wore them. They also worked great at the club match this past Saturday. The only complaint I have is that they are not very weather resistant and may not work well in the really cold/wet range conditions as they will allow my feet to get really cold or wet. But in normal range/weather conditions the Fellraiser is my new “Go To” shoe to use for matches. I listed a link below to them on the salomon website. I am going to try them out tonight at the indoor match that has really slick concrete. The Speedcross 3 shoes have great traction on the slick concrete but they feel really squirmy when settling into shooting positions. Hopefully these new Fellraiser shoes will produce the same amount of traction and eliminate the squirmy feeling while running around on the slick concrete.

http://www.salomon.com/uk/product/fellraiser.html

I shot the indoor match last night using the new Fellraiser shoes and they worked great. They made good traction on the slick concrete and didn't feel squirmy when I would enter or exit shooting positions aggressively. I shot "ok" for the match. I had two misses over the four stages and both were uncalled misses. Seeing my sights indoors continues to be a challenge.

I was ROing a shooter on a retreat stage and he decided to turn up range while moving to the next shooting position and point his gun right at me. This is the second time in the last two matches that I have been swept by a loaded pistol by shooters who have ZERO muzzle awareness during stage runs and ended up pointing their gun straight up range sweeping the RO's and the rest of the squad. I just don't get how shooters can be that delinquent in their muzzle awareness.The extra crappy thing about the incident last night, is that the shooter was pissed after it happened, packed up his stuff and left. No apology or even recognition that he screwed up. That to me shows that this guy really doesn't care that he screwed up or how his screw up affected others on his squad. Needless to say I will NOT be shooting with that guy any more. I don't want to be around people who are that careless and don't give a crap about others.