Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

STI Rear Sight(Adjustable)

cybrosh

I had this problem too. What a pain! I worked it out with the manufacturer and they replaced the sight. Loctite did not work long for me either. You could try replacing the pin with a new one form the HW store. Or call them and see if they will correct the issue.

Good Luck.

Here's the deal... In the middle of that pin there is a microscopic spring that rides in a detent in the middle of the pin. If that spring was not installed, or installed improperly, the pin will never stay in place no matter what you do. Look at the front of the sight that's closest to the ejection port. Do you see a round hole? That is there so the spring can be depressed when the pin is installed.put the gun on a big white towel and push the pin out beyond the center hole. If the spring is in there then it's probably rolled over sideways. shake it out, reinstallit and while compressing it with a tiny punch, push the pin back in.

I have fixed two like this already.

Gary

I have seen that here and there too. I don't think locktite would ever work permanently since the sight pivots on that pin. I think you could peen the ends of the pin with a sharp pointed punch.

So far I have just pushed mine back in. I tried to peen mine a little but didn't have much success. It is hard to find something that you can set the gun on that will isolate the sight from the slide so you aren't moving the sight in the slide when you are tapping on it.

edited to add- Gary's plan sounds a little better...

Edited by bofe954

WARNING, NOT MY PROFESSIONAL ADVICE, NOT STI'S, AND NOT SHOOTERS CONNECTION'S!

That said, when it happened to one of my STI's, a contact in customer service at STI told me to take my brass hammer and strike each front corner of the sight body enough to bend in the corners near the pin. It worked, and didn't damage the gun or the sight. He had said I could send it to him, but this was a much easier fix.

USE A BRASS HAMMER, DO NOT BEAT IT WITH A 10LB SLEDGE.

Edited by fomeister

I have seen that here and there too. I don't think locktite would ever work permanently since the sight pivots on that pin. I think you could peen the ends of the pin with a sharp pointed punch.

i just did the same and fixed the problem...

Hey everyone,

Thanks for the great replies.

Tried Gary's method. The spring that locks the pin in place is broken. Could only get the part that broke out though :angry2:

Now I need a replacement spring AND to find a way to get what's left of the spring out through that hole.

:angry:

I had this same problem and ended up replacing the solid STI pin with a roll pin of the same size. I have no idea whether the tiny spring and pin are still in there or not. Doesn't matter with the roll pin. Hope this helps.

Scott

Just a standard roll pin???

Yup, standard hardware store, non-gunsmithing specific roll pin. I took my calipers to the store and found a slightly larger pin in the 1/16 inch selection. It fit properly and compressed down when installed. I just measured the pin on an STI sight that is not installed on a gun and got 0.079" The pin design seems to have changed just a bit. The one I replaced had a small head on one end that fit flush with a counterbore. That prevented it from walking out one direction, but not the other. The newer one seemed to be a press fit, and is the same dimension across the length. The design may have changed slightly over the years, or a different subcontractor may have produced these. If you decide to use a solid pin made of drill rod, or a drill bit, make sure it is sized correctly to provide a good press fit. On my sight, a 1/16" drill bit would have just walked out if I had tried that repair.

The one I replaced used to walk sideways out of the rear sight as I was shooting. I got tired of seeing the side of the pin in my sight picture as it came halfway out of the pivot, and checking it after every stage. Haven't had a problem since replacement.

Best,

Scott

• 1 month later...

I bought a used trojan with a broken rear sight pin at the Austin Gun Show last weekend.

Called STI today and told them my problem. They asked for the serial number and when I gave it they said "that's a really old one" (it's a 2XXX serial number). They gave me three choices:

1. They could send me a pin.

2. They could send me a new rear sight which has a larger pin

3. I could send them the slide and they would replace the sight.

I chose #2. They gave me an RMA# to send back the broken sight back, but said they are were sending the new sight without waiting to get the broken one.