Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Why do I shoot a revolver so much better?

Matt Griffin

I guess the quick answer is that I'm shooting faster than I can see with a semi; the revo. slows my down to .22 at fastest, which may be the difference. But if you could, and if you've experienced this, I'd like to hear some more specific aspects of shooting that would be the first things to go with small speed change. FWIW, I shoot Glocks and revolver, have a long, light trigger in the Glocks and about a #6.5 in the revo.

I'm starting to wonder if I should experiment with slapping the semi trigger rather than riding the reset, perhaps a longer smoother stroke would give my brain time to adjust the sights accordingly. I also seem to suffer from target focus a lot more with the semi.

Any insight appreciated.

H.

edit: This sounded like a backdoor brag; the time listed is just my absolute fastest trigger manipulation time, I can't use it on anything but a target two feet away. The main point is that my shooting feels equally fast with both guns, but my hits are always so much better with the revo.

Edited by Houngan

It is because you ONLY have 6 shots with the Revolver so you make them count.

AND

Since you know you have to have more trigger discipline with the REVO you watch and make sure where the sights are when shooting it. compared to the Auto.

Just take it for what it is worth.........

coming from just a dummy that shoots. :wacko:

Hop

In some ways I also find a revolver easier to shoot accurately at speed than an auto pistol. For me the biggie is that, in contrast to the auto pistol where the sights whip back and forth on the slide with every shot, with the revolver that doesn't happen. I perceive the sights are "just sitting there" - relatively, anyway - thus I find them MUCH easier to track in recoil.

It's probably because the rolling action of the wheelgun gives more of a surprise break. I have to really concentrate on my trigger pull with a single-action auto, or I'll start yanking it.

I yank on the trigger no matter what gun it is!!! LOL

I will have to agree. It seems like revolvers tend to bring me back to the real world...

It's probably because the rolling action of the wheelgun gives more of a surprise break. I have to really concentrate on my trigger pull with a single-action auto, or I'll start yanking it.

That's why I use a light trigger... by the time I get to yanking it the bullet is already gone. :P

That was it for me. The long DA trigger pull in a way forced me to place all my attention on the feeling of rolling the trigger straight through at the same speed. Beware of slowing down the speed you pull the trigger as the shot gets closer to breaking. Once you start pulling the trigger at a certain speed, don't change that speed until the shot breaks.

That's one way to do it anyway.

be

That was it for me. The long DA trigger pull in a way forced me to place all my attention on the feeling of rolling the trigger straight through at the same speed. Beware of slowing down the speed you pull the trigger as the shot gets closer to breaking. Once you start pulling the trigger at a certain speed, don't change that speed until the shot breaks.

be

With a Semi-Auto it's "Picking" the spot on the Target and jerking the trigger causing a poor hit.

With a Revolver it's "Picking" the spot on the Stroke (Staging) and finessing it, causing a poor hit.

At longer range some do it and it works. In practice I've noticed if I try to "Stage" the trigger my hits start sliding around the target and it's harder to call the shot.

In actuality the same theory should apply to both action types. Once the pull is started go straight thru and just focus on the sights, it's just the length of the Revolver stroke forces you to do it. Riding the reset on the Glock may be leading you to milk the grip or jerk the trigger rather than smoothly letting the shot happen? FWIW when I shoot my best, with any action type, I'm rarely aware of much but where the sights/targets were. It just seems the trigger is working on it's own and I could be shooting a 1911 or a Revolver and it just seems the same.

Maybe you need to increase your Glock Trigger to equate more with your Revolver? How much time can you save on a Slap vs. a Roll with a Glock?

be

I made it out to the range to test this, and as usual, it's a bit of both. If I change my trigger press to a longer, smoother stroke with no attention to the sear, I was getting more consistent calls. However, because I wasn't paying attention to the sear, my attention on the sights went way up, and also increased my accuracy. One interesting thing is that from the start of the session I was running .32~ splits at 25yds, about .1 faster than my previous timings. Something has obviously clicked in dryfire practice.

Long and short, I have trigger control problems that I need to work out. Unfortunately this seems like one of those problems that is only fixed by a few thousand practice rounds done properly.

H.

+ another.........

and during a double action stroke if one has less than perfect front to rear trigger pressure it becomes noticeable as the trigger is being pressed or pulled, thus providing feedback that you may need to steer the muzzle, while continuing the pressure, in a direction to cause the shot to more likely break in the intended area of the target. With a SA trigger which breaks very crisp, it is often too late to correct the shot your shooting, that has to wait for the next shot! I find in DA you can fix the shot your shooting, in SA this is more difficult, thus you fix the next one......maybe.

Also kinesthetically in DA you can feel the trigger moving, and as long as the trigger is moving you know that you have enough pressure on it to make it eventually fire by simply keeping it moving. In SA one has to apply slightly increasing pressure until enough pressure is provided to cause the gun to fire. We often get impatient or panic thus making it break instead of letting it break. This makes a 10 a 5 real fast.

MJ