Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What gear do you use at the range?

mjohns930

I am looking to see what you all use at the range as far as a few items go. Specifically these things:

Range bag - Why you use the one you do? I will only be toting one gun to the range (for now) so expandability and flexibility are important, but I don't want it to be a huge duffel bag looking thing.

Brass bag - Do you use a compartment of your range bag or a completely different bag?

Hearing protection - Active noise canceling ones or plain old wal mart muffs? Do you use double protection?

Eye protection - I have a wide bridge on my nose and a really long distance to my ears, most glasses to not fit me properly or comfortably. Also color, I will only be shooting limited for the time being so do you use a particular color for iron sights?

Thanks for any input on this. Also if you have any recommendations if you could provide me with a web link that would be great.

Edited by mjohns930

Range bag: I use a Blackhawk backpack. Plenty of room for a gun, mags, ammo, and tools. It's also a hydration pack so it works great in the summer.

Brass bag: I use a separate brass bag that came with another range bag. I clip the bag to the backpack using a carabiner.

Hearing protection: I've used Radians and Howard Leight and both have crapped out on me. I currently have a pair of MSA Sordins.

Eye protection: Rudy Project Rydon Shooters Pack. Comes with 5 sets of lenses for any light condition. Mostly I use the Racing Red or brown lenses.

Hope this helps.

I use some no name range bag that I bought for $60 at a gun show- but it does have 2 removable pistol liners and plenty of pockets. I use an ammo bag with a divider that I won at some USPSA match in the distant past. It fits very nicely into on pocket of my range bag. My ears are big and blue, with the highest NRR I could find and my shooting glasses are Beretta $12 specials that I bought at Sportsman's Warehouse. Through the years I have owned all of the latest gear, but it never lasted any longer than the cheap stuff. I have 4 pairs of $100+ shooting glasses that I don't wear anymore since they are scratched, broken or the lenses don't snap in anymore. I have 2 pairs of amplified ears that leave my ears ringing and a $200 range bag with one of the carry handles torn loose.

I also wear jeans and a T shirt... heck I don't even own any 5.11 gear.

I'd like to say that I don't care about the accessories, but I do carry a $150 pen and a $350 pocketknife... :unsure:

Bag: $20 Gander Mountain POS. It fits more crap than I need, but less than can - so it limits just how much I can torture myself walking around the ranges.

Brass Bag: Cheap camping mesh ditty bags from walmapart. They've held up surprisingly well, they pack small, and are CHEAP.

Eyes: I use Rudy Rydon's. Nice, but not really worth the crap-load they cost. Find some cheap ones you like. However, the Rudy's are very adjustable to fit odd shaped heads. For lenses I run clear/light gray and sometimes racing red. All work well.

Ears: Cheap yellow rubber plugs with the blue cord. I used to run foamies under Peltor Tac6s, but muffs just aren't my thing.

Shooters connection bag

Zip lock bags for brass and ammo

Peltor muffs when its cold, cheap orange plus on a blue string when its hot. I don't double plug unless I'm RO's somebody shooting a really load open gun.

Eye protection, Oakley M Frames w/smoke lens and a cap, I like my eyes in the shade when I shoot wether it be open or limited.

I'm like VegasOPM, no "tactial" clothing just jeans (or shorts) and T shirts...but I have a $900 knife :D

I've got a "Workforce" open face / bucket style tool "bag" (not really a bag, but rigid) for about 15 dollars at Home Depot.

Works great, and I can find stuff in it from 10 feet away just by looking.

It's got pouches all the way around it inside and out, for: mags, timer, ammo, staples, loaders, pens, calculator, rags, oil, multi tool, grocery sacks for brass, holster, mag pouches, and whatever else you can think of.

Bag: CR Range Bag's it's just the right size to stay organize, I have a back pack when I travel with out the car

Brass Bag: with mesh botton....various supplier

Eyes: Oakley MPro clear indoor, Oakley Juliet with dark polarize lenses....they are prescription lenses...

Ears: Molded plug outdoor, and Proears electronics with foam plug indoor

I always use CR pant's/shorts that way my jean don't oil stain (jean cost more compare to CR Pants) and golf shirt from matches....

Range bag - A backpack/bookbag that I bought on clearance after shool starts for kids. It's well made, has several padded compartments, and can be carried over one shoulder or both.

Brass bag - The backpack has a mesh front compartment that is perfect for holding brass, while allowing the dirst/sand to fall out of the mesh.

Hearing protection - Regular earmuffs

Eye protection - Regular clear safety glasses. Safety glasses aren't for looking cool, they're for eye protection. For your long-reach problem, get glasses that have adjustable-length arms, like these:

(99% UV protection, anti-fog, ANSI Z87.1-1989 and CSA Z94.3, MADE IN US)

(And only cost $3!)(Buy a few pairs. take the money saved and buy more ammo)

http://www2.northerntool.com/safety/eyeware/item-174634.htm

174634_lg.jpg

I store my glasses in an old sock, when not in use. Keeps them scratch-free.

Call me cheap, but all the items you are looking for cost me less than $25!

Edited by Anon

This probably won't help you but... I recently traded some used gear for a small ALS backpack with MOLLE webbing. When I need more stuff, I attach a couple pouches.

I shoot at a private indoor range and try and go there at odd hours when I can have the place to myself. Nice, but it can be noisy, so I use a pair of Howard Leight SmartFit plugs (which work better for me than anything else I have found) and an old pair of non-electronic muffs. The combination of the two would be adequate for front row at a Pink Floyd concert.

Indoors, I wear a pair of clear ESS glasses with prescription inserts.

Ammo goes to the range in 100 round boxes and brass comes back in a drop-pouch attached to the backpack.

I also carry a tool kit with me, always. But that stays in the car unless needed so isn't worth mentioning.

I also wear pretty much the same old cr@p that I wear when working in the shop or reloading. It gets washed alot.

Now, if I'm going to a match... Well, lets just say I take way too much.

Here is what I am using:

Range bag - Shooters Connection Tournament bag, for the storage capacity.

Brass bag - Dillon Bordershift bag

Hearing protection - Peltor, the regular range ones without the electronics. I don't really see the need for the amplification.

Eye protection - Rudy Project, with Racing Red lenses.

Thanks for all the info. This is great. It seems like that Shooter's Connection bag is the way to go, along with the Rudy Project glasses. Those seem like they will be adjustable enough to fit my head. And as far as hearing protection, personal preference but mostly just regular old muffs or plugs. Once again thanks for the info.

I am looking to see what you all use at the range as far as a few items go. Specifically these things:

Range bag - Why you use the one you do? I will only be toting one gun to the range (for now) so expandability and flexibility are important, but I don't want it to be a huge duffel bag looking thing.

Brass bag - Do you use a compartment of your range bag or a completely different bag?

Hearing protection - Active noise canceling ones or plain old wal mart muffs? Do you use double protection?

Eye protection - I have a wide bridge on my nose and a really long distance to my ears, most glasses to not fit me properly or comfortably. Also color, I will only be shooting limited for the time being so do you use a particular color for iron sights?

Thanks for any input on this. Also if you have any recommendations if you could provide me with a web link that would be great.

RANGE BAG: Shooters Conection and I HIGHLY reccomend it.

BRASS BAG: Came as part of the Shooters Connecton bag works great. Clips onto the big bag and has a mesh bottom so sand and ghak just fall out of it.

HEARING PRO: Peltor electronic muffs coupled with earplugs. Doubling up on hearing pro seems to have kept my hearing loss stable for a while now.

EYE PRO: Prescription lenses (rose color) impact resistant. They are "set" for the distance to my front sight. I brought my weapon into the place so the eye doc could accurately measure it. He was all kinds of enthusiastic about it and asked a bunch of questions about USPSA and shooting. Maybe we'll see him hanging around a match soon.

I have used various colors for lenses and I like the rose ones I have now.

Hope this helps you out.

JK

Same bag I use for a match so all the mags are there, eyes - same prescription Decot, ears - same Dillon HP1 so I can hear the buzzer, same gun belt. Brass bag is mesh bag that held $6.00 in golf balls at a resort. Spare parts in the truck like usual. Ammo in a .50 cal ammo box. High traction hiking shoes instead of Nike Land Sharks.

The whole intent of practice is to practice a match with do overs for mistakes and bad draws. I even use a .22 for trigger practice just as I do before every match. Get to the match at 0' dawn '30 and relieve tension.

Bag: Tool bag from sears stays in the car with spare parts and tools I rarely use. Stage bag is a Range Rug from i-shot. I love that little bag. After my gun goes in the holster, I get my rule book, score sheets, mag brush, pen, squib rod, 5 mags, gun butter, and 200 rounds of ammo in that thing. Used it for 2 years and it's still in perfect condition. Well made bag.

Eyes: Oakley M-frame with either clear or grey lens.

Ears: Free ear plugs from work.

Bag: Shooters Connection Tournament bag

Brass: Brass bag that comes with the SC bag

Eyes: Clear Rudys

Ears: Custom molded plugs and electronic muffs. If you ever shot an Open Tanfo in a tunnel you would know why. :surprise:

Range Bag - Shooters Connection Tournament Series - perfect size. Fully loaded, you can drop an ovary carrying it. :roflol:

Brass Bag - I have 2 that came with the bags. Or if I'm going to be a brass rat, a 2 gallon icecream bucket w/lid.

Glasses - ESS Ice, 3 pairs.

Ear Defenders - Peltor Tac 6. Sometimes corded ear plugs.

For the most part I wear the clear lenses in the glasses, but I'm set up for yellow and rose coloured as well.

Range Bag -- The big i-Shot bag. It's the right size, the main and front compartments can be padlocked, the organizational layout works for me, and it wraps around the hip a little more than the Shooter's Connection Bag. Speaking of the SC bag --- while it didn't wind up working for me in the long run, it's built to be bulletproof. I used it for a couple of years, it sat around for another couple, a friend of mine was thinking about trying one, I loaned it to him -- he decided to buy it and is still using it. It's about 8 years old and still looks like new. Strictly a matter of personal preference....

Brass Bag --- Larry Houck handed out some nylon mesh bags in multiple colors at last year's Summer Blast. Takes up no space when empty, holds a bunch, can't beat the price....

Glasses --- two Rudy Rydon Frames, one with laser clear, the other with racing red lenses. Occasionally I move to the dark grey lenses --- but it needs to be very bright.....

Ears --- I've got custom molded plugs in my bag for prone or other awkward positions where muffs might get knocked off. Normally I wear some kind of amplified muffs.....

Range/Brass Bag: I have a SC Tournament Series, but usually leave it in the car, and just carry the $40 inner bag, with one of the $10 brass bags in the center compartment holding loose ammo, and clip a second brass bag to a keychain clip on my CR Speed belt that can easily be removed before shooting a stage, but is handily at my side when picking up brass between taping targets. If I had it to do over, I wouldn't buy the big tournament series bag, just a $40 inner bag and several $10 brass bags.

Glasses: Rudy Rydon, Rx insert sunglasses.

Ears: 90% of the time I just wear my old orange GI-Issue flanged earplugs, unless I'm shooting open, then I double plug with Peltor Tac-6 electronic earmuffs.