Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Changing divisions

lugnut

I shoot a lot of IDPA and some USPSA. I've acheived my goal of getting to Expert level in SSP and ESP (SSP in match, ESP in classifier) and now would like to get Expert level in CDP (currently SS). I shot my G34 in SSP and ESP and I really have developed a love for that gun. It just feels so good in my hands and quite frankly- it's all I've shot for the last 6 months or so. So now I get to CDP and start shooting my S&W 1911 again. Oh my... I feel like a fish out of water... it's like starting all over to me. In one sense I want to develop proficiency in another type of gun like the 1911 but on the other hand why not use a G21SF in CDP? So the dilema I have is should I bother switching and relearning a 1911? Should I find a Glock .45 and use that in CDP? Or should I just focus with my G34 and work towards IDPA master or USPSA A class? A Master level shooter that I practice and shoot with quite a bit seems to transition much more easily than I can for sure. Decisions, decisions.

I don't expect someone to give me the "right" answer because there is none. Just curious as to what some of you folks have focused on in similar situations.

Thanks.

I'm not convinced that's true, actually. It's a nice ideal to be equally proficient with every gun type. "It's the Indian, not the arrow" and whatnot. But the truth is there are simply some gun types we can shoot better than others. Which type of gun that might be can vary from individual to individual, natch.

Yep- I agree 100%- hence my dilema. I'm just not sure it's worth the effort to figure out the 1911 and while I'm doing that... I'm sure the competition in SSP won't be standing still. :mellow:

I'm not convinced that's true, actually. It's a nice ideal to be equally proficient with every gun type. "It's the Indian, not the arrow" and whatnot. But the truth is there are simply some gun types we can shoot better than others. Which type of gun that might be can vary from individual to individual, natch.

I started with a 1911, switched to a eaa tanfolio, and now shoot a Glock. other than switching to a dot, or a revolver, I can switch to another iron sight gun and adjust after a bit and shoot just as well. There is a difference in grips that might effect how well you shoot a certain gun but other than hand size, if you commit to a different gun you will get it.

Shoot what's the most fun. That's what I say. If shooting CDP with a 1911 is less fun than shooting SSP/ESP with your G34, then there is no dilema.

there is a reason I only shoot ESP/CDP/soon to be ESR, its what I enjoy and have fun in. Shoot what you like, not another division just to shoot another division.

Just to be clear- I wouldn't shoot the 1911 or CDP just for the sake of doing it, I enjoy shooting the 1911... it's just that at least initially for me- it's going to take some "reaquainting" to get to the level I want. Of all the semis I've shot... these two platforms are about as different as one could get.

Shoot what you like, not another division just to shoot another division.

my advice (surely worth less than .02 cents) is to give the .45 Glock a try (can you borrow one for a match, otherwise buy it and sell it if it doesn't work out). I think there's less effort to get to CDP expert than master in either SSP or ESP, because you are already able to shoot those times.

I've wondered about this Duane. I wonder if it's not true at certain levels of shooting. There's a lot more time to be gained in being smooth vs the actual shooting that I firmly believe the statement is true at MM, SS and possibly EX levels. I'm not as sure about MA, because I don't shoot that level, and because the more time you strip out of non shooting (draw, reload, movement, setup, etc) the more central the ability to shoot accurately and quickly becomes to one's scores.

I know there are a lot of variables to account for, and if he was thinking of a gun with a (true) first DA shot then that difference I think is impactfull ... but overall, with a month of solid practice I think he could be "up to speed" either with a G in .45 or reaquainting himself with the 1911.

Anyways, food for thought?

Interesting Question lugnut.

Yeah thanks for the sharing your thoughts. Funny because once I made EX in SSP and ESP I thought for sure I'd jump right in with the 1911 again and have at it. I guess I'll admit- I was enamored with the thought of being a 3 gun expert... but I want to reamain competitive like crazy. So now I'm really not sure.. if anything I'm leaning towards continuing with the G34 for now. The thought of the local competition getting the chance to catch up to me in SSP is killing me! Plus I have the Master to catch up to!

I've wondered about this Duane. I wonder if it's not true at certain levels of shooting. There's a lot more time to be gained in being smooth vs the actual shooting that I firmly believe the statement is true at MM, SS and possibly EX levels. I'm not as sure about MA, because I don't shoot that level, and because the more time you strip out of non shooting (draw, reload, movement, setup, etc) the more central the ability to shoot accurately and quickly becomes to one's scores.

Perhaps I'm projecting here. My experience has been mostly with SIGs, 1911s and Glocks, for me those are the Big Three. In the past 15 years or so, that's been mostly Glock 9mms (19, 17, 34) and various high-end 1911 .45s. I have found I can shoot a Glock 9mm and a 1911 .45 about equally as well. But thus far I've never found anything I can shoot even approximately as well as a 9mm 1911. So for me, if I want to shoot my very best - and I do - then the gun type/cartridge does make a real difference.

I swear I must be the only guy who reuses to shoot anything but one division.

The 'until expert' thing baffles me. I have locals doing the same thing with EX, and even SS. I suppose they believe that's the highest classification they'll be able to achieve. And if you think like that, it's true.

Pick a gun. Shoot it until you make Master. Stay with it until you can take the division championship when shooting well. Then tinker with something else. At least, that's how I think of it. :)

Shoot what's the most fun. That's what I say. If shooting CDP with a 1911 is less fun than shooting SSP/ESP with your G34, then there is no dilema.

I know guys who can go so fast with their G34 (now M&P Pro actually) that shooting the man-gun I love, a 1911 in CDP just frustrates them. To each his own. Go with what makes you happy.

I change IDPA divisions nearly every year for 3 reasons. First--- I get bored.... Secondly I am a instructor for my states concealed pistol training and think it's important that I be VERY proficient with all types of handguns. third... I can't bare the thought that any of my guns will become safe queens :D

It's my view that most shooters at the Expert Level in IDPA (or A and above in USPSA) tend to be focused on one pistol type and that is fine... but you need to set your own goals rather than trying to schieve the goals that others find important.

I am a five gun IDPA expert and not just a paper version. I have won at least one state or regional match in all five Diviaions.

Was it easy??? NO!

Is it hard to become competent with many types of guns???? YES!!

Was it satisfying??? YOU BET!!!

Would I be an IDPA Master if I had stuck with one Division for more than a year??? Probably!!!

I pick a Division in the Winter and then stick with nothing but that for the season (which ends for me in October)... I think jumping back and forth during the season is a terrible idea and you will end up as an Expert getting your lunch handed to you by a Sharp Shooter. Last year it was ERS for me and in 2009 it will be CDP.

Set your own path and reap the rewards.

Edited by MichiganShootist

• 1 month later...

My question would be, are you winning everything in SSP and ESP? That is, has classification become an end to itself, because you are not challenged in competition? I shoot to the best of my ability, all of the time, and don't think too much about the arbitrary standards of classification. Maybe a goal like, "I'm going to win every match I enter in 2009" would be more productive than, "I'm going to shoot a Master score on the classifier"?

I am a 1911/2011 snob. I tried the Glock and the grip angle just would not work for me. I have 2 M&P guns ordered and hope they point like a 1911 for me. I like changing up from time to time just to improve my skills as a shooter, being able to adapt to the different formats makes me cognizant or more focused. Things just seam to flow from there.

My question would be, are you winning everything in SSP and ESP? That is, has classification become an end to itself, because you are not challenged in competition? I shoot to the best of my ability, all of the time, and don't think too much about the arbitrary standards of classification. Maybe a goal like, "I'm going to win every match I enter in 2009" would be more productive than, "I'm going to shoot a Master score on the classifier"?

It's funny to see an old thread resurrected. I didn't just get to expert in SSP and ESP divisions and stop- I wasn't kicking everyone's ass but in the middle. Most of my bumps were due to sanctioned matches not classifiers. That being said I use classifications as A goal... not the only goal, but one of them. A kind of milestone.

Ironically since this post originated I purchased a G21SF and am focusing on CDP for now. Winter is kind of a "down" time in the north east so I'm working things out. It's a different skill set for sure IMO compared to my G34 SSP gun. The grip angle and grip size is probably what is most different. Ironically the G21SF's grip angle is more like the 1911!! Damn gun is amazingly accurate... I just need to figure out how to run with it at faster speeds. To me it's alot about being the best I can in a division but I do like variety and other challenges as well. ;)

Once I get to the level I want with the 21SF- I'll go back and completely focus on the G34.

I switch between Glocks and 1911's. I find it hard to do so at a moment's notice. I need to practice for a while with the 1911 before I compete with it. Timing is the biggest issue for me. I find that I start to push down too early with the 1911's until I've shot a 100 rounds or so. The shots start heading low, and with Limited Vickers on most stages- I can't make them up without a penalty.

I've been shooting 1911s for over 30 years, and though nothing else feels really natural, Glocks are the worst of the bunch. But, there was an out-of-town match that consisted of a single stack match on Saturday and a "plastic gun" match on Sunday, decided to double my pleasure, borrowed a G20, shot an IDPA match as a warm-up, and really, after the buzzer went off, it wasn't a big deal to transition. By the end of the day on Sunday, I could see myself actually owning a Glock. I had the same impression last weekend, when shooting a match with my Hi-Power; the frame is shaped very differently, the trigger reach is different, I don't like 3-dot sights or 5# triggers, but after a stage or two, it didn't really matter too much. Am I really adaptable, or just not so good with a 1911, even after 30 years?????