Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shortened Open Super

Julien Boit

Hi all, my question is particularly for the "professionnals" (aka Benny and Bob) but every advice will be studied :D :

I'm planning to build a 38 super upper and I'm hesitating between two setups:

1/ A 5 inch slide and barrel, a 3 port EGW comp .

I will lighten the slide and drill a V6 or V8 in the barrel.

2/ A commander length barrel and slide, EGW 3 port comp and V6 or V8 porting.

Same job on the slide as above.

What do you think is the best setup ? :(

I know the "Hot setup" nowadays is for short pistol (BCG Pro Sx, Dawson minigun Stroker ...)

If you are going to put it on a Govt. frame I would stick with the first set up and shorten it, commander slide on a govt. frame shortens the stroke and can cause reliability problems in some cases. Go with more comp and fewer holes in the barrel it will soften the feel a little.

OK, I'm no gunsmith but........

If you are going to go for the short gun, its better to cut down a 5" slide, due to the legth on travel. With a Commander slide, it will not come back as far, and may not eject of extract properly. That being said, a 5" gun will run just fine, your still seeing alot of them around and winning. I will also not hesitate to recommend Bob's work on guns, I test fired one of his Pro Sx's at FGN, and it handled and shot like a Limited gun. (But I can also see how it might be hard to get a gun to him from France ;))

Well, I see I was beat to the punch....

Edited by IPSC G34

Humm,

One day, I'll forget to take my head with me.

Did I mention that the "Commander length" would be achieved by shortening a gov't slide :unsure: ?

Well thanks Bob ;)

You think I could go with a 4 chamber comp and three or four holes on the barrel ?

My plan would be to drill two more holes (in fact four) on the comp at the first chamber and at the last.

ok, i'll put my 2 cents worth in also. bob's set up with a shortened 5 inch slide is a very good one. i have shot it, as well as several other variations of short and long guns. some with heavy long comps, and some with short light comps with extensive lightening to the slide. in my honest opinion the advantage to building the shortened 5 inch gun is in the fact that it is easier to cut down a slide than it is to set up a commander length gun properly. properly set up commander guns are every bit as reliable as 5 inch guns because when set up properly the stroke on the slide is equivilent to a 5 inch gun with a thin shock buff installed. even though the commander set up is inherently lighter than the 5 inch set up i do take some more weight off the back of the slide to lighten it up further. bob's technique of shortening and lightening the slide works off the same principle(and looks real cool also)of having less reciprocating mass, therefore providing less dot movement. i personally prefer the commander set up properly in either 38supercomp or 9x19. lets face it almost any modern open gun set up when used with the proper load and handled using the proper techniques will provide good results, but even a jedi has to put in many hours of practice with a light saber before becoming proficient.get yourself a good gun that you are proud of and practice, practice, practice. no amount of gadgetry will make you a better shooter.

I presently shoot one of JL's short 9mm open guns. I had the opportunity to shoot that particular gun side by side with a couple other 9mm open guns in a full length version and angled comp port configuration. My gun has two hybrid ports with a four port comp configuration with the comp ports being cut at 90 degrees. The other configuration was a full length slide with two hybrid ports and angled ports in the comp. To me the 90 degree port configuration was a much flatter shooting setup. I was looking specifically and only for the flattest shooting setup. I was not concerned with recoil back into my hand or increased muzzle blast. The 90 degree setup was flatter but there was a perceivable difference in recoil and blast with the 90 degree port setup as compared to the angled port design. The angled ports provided less perceived recoil and blast but these advantages were offset with more vertical dot movement when firing the gun. While you can't tell much about the actual comp ports you can see a picture of the gun here:

http://www.cpwsa.com/blasters.htm

Chris,

Do you mean angled as in the ports point up, but throw gases more forward? Or...angled, as V8 type ports like the Springfield guns have...where they throw gases at about 30 degrees left AND right, from the top?

for my personal gun [ and most of them I build] I like a 5" slide,short 3 port comp, 3 gas ports in the barrel/slide. I lighten the front of the gun & slide so it transtitions very fast. gun weighs 41 oz. slide weighs 11oz. very flat shooting

Flex, not V8 ports, but ports that angle forward. I figured that was the reason the blast was not as severe on that setup as on my gun which had all the ports cut to 90 degrees.

for my personal gun [ and most of them I build]  I like a 5" slide,short 3 port comp, 3 gas ports in the barrel/slide. I lighten the front of the gun & slide so it transtitions very fast. gun weighs 41 oz.  slide weighs 11oz. very flat shooting

Benny, do you mean that you take off some material from the frame, or is it just in the slide/comp front area ?

• 2 weeks later...

Iwould have to agree with Joey ,

Get a gun that is 100% reliable and shot the &^%(&^$out of it. most average shooters cant tell the diferance of one gun to the next.lighter guns index faster and track better but the issue has to be reliability.

I have fallen victum to the equipment game and I have shot from 45oz guns to 34 oz guns it all boils down to geting good with what ya have.

johnnie

• 1 month later...