Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

2011 For Idpa Esp

vincent

I have a 9mm 1911 single stack that is pretty finicky at minor PF. Getting good single stack 9mm magazines was also trouble. I am considering getting a 2011 9mm, but I'm worried about reliability. My STI Edge is quite reliable in 40SW at major PF. Are the 2011 series guns reliable in 9mm at minor PF? Is a commander slide recommended to reduce mass? I would hate to put a bunch of money into another finicky 9mm 1911. Any information on experiences with 2011 pistols for IDPA ESP would help.

Thanks,

-Vincent

PS: One thing that I am thinking of is that an ESP gun in 40SW could also be a backup gun for my Limited setup. That alone might make it the better choice. Hmmmm...

The tapered case of the 9mm makes it a very finicky cartridge in a single stack, once you load more than about seven or eight rounds in the mag. I know Robbie has been working with SA in developing higher capacity, reliable 9mm mags, but I'm not sure if they're released yet.

Although I don't have any direct experience, I can't imagine that the 9mm wouldn't feed better in a double stack mag. As far as light loads in a 9mm, again, no direct experience, but I'd imagine any lightening over a standard 5" slide would be a good thing.

be

The tapered case of the 9mm makes it a very finicky cartridge in a single stack, once you load more than about seven or eight rounds in the mag. I know Robbie has been working with SA in developing higher capacity, reliable 9mm mags, but I'm not sure if they're released yet.

Although I don't have any direct experience, I can't imagine that the 9mm wouldn't feed better in a double stack mag. As far as light loads in a 9mm, again, no direct experience, but I'd imagine any lightening over a standard 5" slide would be a good thing.

be

FWIW: I believe SA is the one with the new patented 9mm single stack mag shell with the built in ramp that keeps the top round from nose diving. I put an "extra capacity" follower/spring in my 9-round SS Mecgar mags and they hold ten now, and will feed all ten if the mag is inserted with the slide back. If the slide is forward, it pushes the rounds down and the first one nosedives. The good news is, with the extra capacity follower, it's the #10 round trying to nosedive instead of #9.

I ended up buying a single stack 9mm from Springfield as my first gun, and after going through and fitting a bunch of things, it hasn't had any FTF FTE. . . came with a ramped barrel and fed well with both the old style and new "ramped" magazines from Metalform. . . these are 9 rd.

I've only shot Winchester Wal-mart FMJ 115 grn. value packs.

-'Chung

I don't think there's anything intrinsic to the 9mm 1911 that would be a problem for a reasonable smith with a little experience. I've got a government model; I hug the IDPA power factor; and it runs like a Glock. So I don't know if a lightened government slide, or a commander, would "help", but it doesn't seem necessary.

You often read on the internet that 9mm's need to be loaded long, but my loads are all over the map, and tend toward the short end of the range, and they all work fine.

I can believe that magazines are another issue. I went for the new Springfields that were supposed to be the end all. 100% failure rate out of the box, but they can be easily mushed and made reliable. I don't have experience with other magazines.

I squadded at S&W with a guy who shot a 9mm Eagle, and it ran like a Glock, and he looked real good with it. STI seems to enjoy a very good reputation, so I'd say go for it. On the other hand, if you found a smith that you felt comfortable with, and who felt comfortable with the project, you could have him build you an Eagle for a few hundred dollars more, and end up with zero problems on a gun better suited to you.

But I'm just an optimistic, happy go lucky kinda guy . . .

I just recently changed from a glock 17 to a SVI Matt Burkett cross competitor. After getting familiar with the 1911 controls, my scores are improving at each match I shoot in. I am going to venture into the USPSA sport, so I bought the .40 setup for the gun. I have several members of my shooting club that are placing orders for a gun like mine after they took turns shooting it. You should check out the specifications on the cross competitor if your interested in a sweet shooting 9mm.

I've been shooting a 2011 9mm commander in ESP for almost 2 years. Tuning mag tubes and springs is sometimes necessary. I use ISMI springs w/ STI 10 round tubes and don't have problems. I use an 11# recoil spring w/ no shockbuff. The biggest problem w/ the 9mm is tuning the slide stop and follower. Since IDPA has alot of slide lock reloads, you need to make sure the slide locks back when the mag is empty. Even w/ STI 9mm followers and a 38 super slide stop, it would lock back w/ a round still in the mag when I first got it. I fixed it by using the factory followers and filing my slide stop lobe until it would only engage when the mag was empty. I shoot 135 powerfactor loads and it's a great combo for ESP.

I've shot Matt's cross competitor last year before SV started to market them and I've shot a friends more recently and it would be the gun I would buy now if I wanted to shoot IDPA and IPSC limited w/ one gun. I'd be interested to hear how reliable it is when swapping back and forth between 9mm and .40 S&W.

If you live in North Texas, BradC's the man to talk to about getting a cross competitor. He's a BE forum member and maybe he'll chime in.

There can't be that many people using "Boom-Boom". Is that you Jan? vincent = Vincent from Houston. I think I met Brad at last year's TX State match. (I missed this years) Drop me a PM about an SVI through Brad or send me an email if you still have my card from your last visit.

Thanks,

-Vincent

Boom-Boom:

If I may ask, could you share details about your gun? I was under the impression that STI's short guns were shorter than commander length. Is your gun one of STI's standard offerings as seen on the web page, or do you have some other slide?

Do the STI frames for short guns have the shorter commander length rails?

Many thanks,

2cats

2cats,

Mine started life in 1999 as a factory built .40S&W 5.0" Eagle (ie Govt length, standard dust cover, standard slide). I had an STI commander slide (4.15" length) custom built and fitted to the Government frame by K2 Sports. It was flat-topped, serrated, and hard chromed. I had put in an STI bbl, aftec extractor, Brazos lightning rod up front, and STI adjustable rear. The Govt frame rails are longer than the commander frame rails so the slide stroke is a little shorter when a commander slide is used. Bob L. at Brazos Custom Guns talked about this setup in another forum topic about building short open guns. On my gun you can tell that it's a Govt frame because the dustcover extends a little past the commander slide scallop cut.

My 9mm commander was a custom job, but STI did do a short run of 9mm commanders called the Legend in 2000/2001. This used commander length frames and slides. I believe that the VIP (3.9") and Viper (4.15") both use the commander length frame.

Hey Boom-Boom,

How is it going. You should really try to come to the Fun Raiser match at the range on the 24th. I really shouldnt remind you since you might show up and make it one more person to kick my butt in the match. I did get my gun through BradC a couple of months ago. You cant beat the service from Sandy at SVI. Tami is also very helpful and great to work with. If anyone is in the Dallas area on the 24th and wants to shoot at out TDSA fun raiser match, I will have my gun for anybody who wants to give it a run. Hope to see you all there.