Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Skilled Glock shooters and stock triggers.

badchad

I’ve been reading some of the older threads on Glock triggers and I see it repeatedly mentioned that the top shooters use triggers that are stock or nearly so. Also guys have said they played around a lot with trick parts and after they gained more experience they tended to return to more or less stock setups. I imagine these are all guys that could use any trigger they want and price is not an issue.

So is there something the stock trigger has that’s better than the custom setups?

I don't shoot Glocks much anymore but for me, it's all about the reset. All the aftermarket trigger kits I've tried had a slower reset than the stock setup.

All I do to my triggers is polish the contact areas and install a FACTORY 3.5# connector. For me, that works as good as an expensive aftermarket kit.

I want the trigger to reset with authority and not be mushy.

Chad,

reliable ignition, cycling of the slide, and trigger reset all come to mind.....

Yes, light trigger pulls are nice --- especially when you're first learning how to call shots. They do however reset slowly, often have issues with igniting anything other than Federal primers that are perfectly seated, and on the whole just seem to require less of a problem before a malfunction ensues.

To me it's all about having a gun that goes bang everytime I pull the trigger, that's comfortable in the hands, that reliably returns to sight alignment after the shot, and that I can take apart and fix easily. That it's affordable helps too.....

After years of shooting the same gun --- and it's been a little more than 8 years now in IDPA, GSSF and USPSA --- I just realized that I never noticed a trigger pull during a match unless something went wrong with the gun......

My Dad used to say, " if it isn't broke don't fix it". I don't allways agree with that saying except when it comes to my Glock. Every time I tryed something to modify it, then malfunctions would appear. I have come to the conclusion that with the exception of the sights the rest is stock and staying stock. A little grip tape doen't hurt either. Dan :cheers:

Yup---simple is better. I played the trigger game too. Setscrews, changed angles, all the little tricks. Now it's

a LWD 3.5 connector, Glockmeister trigger spring, stock striker and spring, and a good polish on everything.

Really crisp reset and a S-M-O-O-T-H 3 lb trigger that goes bang every time.

I use a vanek production trigger and it has never missed a beat yet. I hope I didn't jinx myself. To me the most important thing is reliability, you can get used to any pull but you can't get used to miss fires.

I don't shoot Glocks much anymore but for me, it's all about the reset. All the aftermarket trigger kits I've tried had a slower reset than the stock setup.

I was wondering about that. How much difference would you guys say this makes in split times?

I was wondering about that. How much difference would you guys say this makes in split times?

It's not a factor at all in split times. (unless you are used to one...and not the other)

It is a factor in feel. And, in some case, reliablity...both in setting off primers and resetting of the gun.

Reliability is a HUGE reason for me. That, and I prefer a more crisp reset that is present with a stock striker and striker spring.

+1 to that..........Don't forget the Crown Royal bag as another factor in the reliability !!!

Edited by nwb01

Dare to slightly disagree.

I use in competition a modified trigger bar done following the JoeD thread on slightly grinding the trigger bar nose, and it has less than half the reset travel than my stock glock that I use for self defense.

As an added plus, the modified trigger bar reset more crisply.

Either my competition glock and my self defense one have the 3.5 LWD connector.

I use a reduced power striker spring, a Ti striker, and CCI primers. Dillon xl650. Never had an ignition misfire. (knock on wood).

Compared to my competition trigger setup a stock one is much slower for me to use, and prone to less accuracy under competition stress.

Maybe I'm still a novice competition shooter, but I vastly prefer a modified and lightened trigger pull in my glock.

Dare to slightly disagree.

I use in competition a modified trigger bar ...it has less than half the reset travel than my stock glock that I use for self defense.

Your SD gun has a longer reset than your competition gun? :unsure: Yikes. I know I wouldn't want that. Too much chance to short stroke the SD gun, in my opinion.

It is a factor in feel. And, in some case, reliablity...both in setting off primers and resetting of the gun.

I understand the reliability advantage with regards to primers, but not the feel and resettling of the gun. What does the feel of the stronger reset do for you all?

You know,I've been asking a lot of questions on this forum about the aftermarket kits lately,and I'm still on the fence.Here's why.Being a former wheelgunner,I don't think that the stock trigger pull is that bad.On my G22 I've added a 25 cent,Scherer 3.5 connector,and a Wolff +power trigger spring.I also shaved down the front of the trigger safety a bit for comfort/feel.Now I've got a nice(IMO),reliable gun that I've been winning with.Its tempting to just leave it alone.-Mike

I understand the reliability advantage with regards to primers, but not the feel and resettling of the gun. What does the feel of the stronger reset do for you all?

I use 3.5 lb. connectors with NY1 trigger springs in my carry guns ---- the reset almost shoves my finger off the trigger. That made me notice that I almost had to wait for my light competition triggers to reset --- no not really, but it felt like it, especially on close wide open targets. So I went back to stock --- and back to not noticing how my trigger felt during a stage. I like that --- I want to notice the sights and be able to fire the gun without disturbing the sights on any target on the stage. I don't need input from the trigger distracting me from that task --- I really don't want to think about the trigger at all....

+1 to that..........Don't forget the Crown Royal bag as another factor in the reliability !!!

LMAO! Style is a whole different matter ;)

Many go waaaay too far, compromising much...to gain little.

I could not agree more. You cannot take a Glock out of the box and change anything to make it any more reliable except feed it. I have seen for too many people dick around with their Glocks and f them up in the process.

I stick with a 3.5# connector with a thorough polishing job in my competition and carry guns ( I figure that I want my carry guns to have as much practical accuracy as my game guns). I tried going with one of the super light, no reset triggers and I hated it. I have shot Glocks so much that I use the takeup to stage the trigger while I line up the shot. The lighter triggers don't stack enough for me, so I kept blowing through the pull before my sights were aligned. Not to mention, I switched back to Glocks after my highly tuned limited gun left me for dead at the 3 Gun Nationals- so anything that makes it even potentially less reliable is verboten.

My splits are not fast enough to worry about the reset- heck I'm happy with .25's. I am in Production now, so I go for all "A's" and it takes me longer to align the sights than it takes for the reset.

And no, I don't actually get all "A's"..... <_<

Edited by VegasOPM

For me it is three huge factors, first and foremost is reliability. The guns are extremely reliable out of the box. Second is predictable break of the shot, with the aftermarket triggers the break is mushy and not easily predictable for me. It is my opinion that ALL Glock triggers suck, it is just a matter of degree in the suckitude. 5 pounds and knowing exactly when it will break is a LOT better for me than 2 pounds and a ballpark idea when it will break. Third is reset, I don't like the feel of my finger coming off the trigger and I can feel it with the light trigger Glocks I have tried. When I shoot my best I am a sear rider, prep and press then release and prep again on every shot.

The 3# connector and NY spring makes a very shootable trigger for me, as does the stock setup that you would get in a non practical/tactical model.

the one thing a stock trigger has over a aftermarket one is reliability, the one thing you give up when you start to deviate from the factory settings is reliability

I don't necessarily agree, though I'm a lowly C class shooter. Never had any more reliability issues with Vanek Production triggers over tens of thousands rounds than stock Glock triggers. Actually that's not true: I have had one problem with a stock trigger in one of my Glocks...though it might have caused by hard CCI primers and a little crud in the striker channel.

I tried another Glock custom trigger at first and did have problems...but nothing but reliability from both my Vaneks and a crisp, reliable break.

YMMV.

Curtis

Edited by BayouSlide

Your SD gun has a longer reset than your competition gun? Yikes. I know I wouldn't want that. Too much chance to short stroke the SD gun, in my opinion

As usual you nailed it perfectly. Recently I shot a self defense course, and while I've not short stroked my g19 with stock trigger pull, I felt somewhat slowed by consciuosly thinking about resetting trigger.

I'm trying to duplicate the reset of my competition gun on my g19 but it's not an easy task.

Trigger bar on my g34 was done by eye gauge with a dremel grindwheel following JoeD instructions, duplicating it proves to be a chore.

But you are definitely correct about being accustomed to a short pull.