Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

converting a 40 open to 9mm

gcambi

I have a 40 open upper w/ a hybrid barrel and a docter sight. I'd like to hear about some creative ways to make this slide work w/ a 9mm bbl. I shoot steel more than anything, so pf is not an issue. Any hope for this project?

Nope. Trying to use the 40 slide with a 9 barrel may get you a open gun that works 95% of the time. Get the correct slide, barrel and other misc parts for a gun that works 100 % of the time

Do open guns work better than 95% anyway??? :wacko:

I am trying to get away w/ this due to the slide work having already been done beautifully, low mounted Bevinized Docter, cut for a hybrid bbl, etc.

I was wondering if the breechface could be modified, or an extractor made to help out the issue. I've had the upper for a few years and am just now getting around to fooling w/ it.

I guess I "know" what I should do, but am looking to the knowledge base of this group for an "out there" solution.

Do open guns work better than 95% anyway??? :wacko:

Yes, when built by a smith that knows what they are doing and the shooter lets them build it the way it should be. My gun never puked once at the slop I shot in at the nationals.

You can make a 9 run on a 40 breechface with nothing over the ejection port, it isn't easy but it can be done. A conventional scope mount makes running a 9 on a 40 breech a miserable failure, you will never get the consistency of ejection you need to do it.

If it were me I would just shoot 135 grain 40 bullets and call it good, they work great for steel.

So, it doesn't run well now? Is that the reason for wanting to switch?

i've never had it on a frame yet. bought it reasonably cheap, mostly for the Grams docter and slide work, and thought if it was possible, i'd put a 9mm bbl in it. If this is out of the question, i can shoot it as a 40. I like the idea of inexpensive 9 ammo, and mag capacity if i ever want it.

I brought it to this forum cause you guys think so far out of the box.

Do you reload now?

I don't know how lucky you will or won't get with a 9mm barrel in it. You might want to take some measurements and post them. (more info gets better replies around here)

If you are reloading, then brass, primers and powder run about the same $$ between 9 and 40. The bullets...there is a price gap there.

If need be, it might be worth getting in touch with EGW to have the breech face welded up and recut for 9mm. That is kinda running the costs up...but you aren't talking about a stock slide at all.

:surprise:

You will be wasting your time and money fooling with putting a 9mm barrel in a forty slide

most of the problems that 9mm open guns have is the breech face being too wide!!!!

Jim

Sailors :sight::devil:

Jim

ty for the brutal honesty

what about the earlier idea of welding and recutting the breechface?

am i trying to make a silk purse out of a pigs ear?