Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Anyone here bike for exercise? My wife, now that we moved into our house, has taken up biking for recreation and light exercise. That motivated me to go out, after better than 15 years, and go buy a bike. Other than a sore posterior, I think its great exercise. Anyone else? What kind of regimine do you have (if you have one)?

Mountain biking is one of my other expensive hobbies. I've been doing it since 1994, but I don't get out enough to keep my weight down. I try to get out at least 2 times a week but I always get distracted with work and my other hobbies. Sometimes I don't touch my bike for a month. I usually ride 7-13 miles on Arizona's rocky trails. After taking a month off, my ass usually gets sore for a couple of rides but I get use to it again after that.

It is awesome fun and good exercise. Before I started training heavy for Nationals, I would ride 3-4 times a week 12-20 miles. Usually I ride really hard up a mountian and then enjoy the cruise back down, but everyone and awhile I will shuttle the bikes up to the mountain then make a day of it coming back down.

I Just upgrade to a full suspension bike this year, and no more sore butt. These things are truley awesome!!! I got mine on E-bay for $650 (retail was $2400) in the winter. Not a bad deal for a 2 year old bike that was hardly ridden.

Getting out and riding is great fun and it is good for the heart also.

I used to do a ton of mountain biking. I've still got my GT "Lead Sled" from my college days, which weighs in at a trim 29 lbs and was totally rigid so it just beat the crap out of you. The only way I'd go back to doing it hot and heavy is with a fully-suspended bike. I know its good to focus on one sport and do it well, but the secret to not blowing out or burning out is to mix up your activities. Combine weight training with walking/hiking/running and possibly swimming with your biking. Otherwise, you'll just be working the piss out of one primary set of muscles and sooner or later, you'll blow up or burn out, stop for a while, then restart from ground zero six months later.

Learn from me: all I did was run for years. In college, I did a minimum of 5-7 miles per day - every frigging day. Now, I'm paying a heavy price in the form of weak ankles and bad knees. Now, the part of climbing I dread most is going *down* - the up part is utterly pleasant compared to the pain of descending. I hobble around like an old man in the morning and I'm only 33. It *is* possible to destroy yourself if you get obsessed doing just one thing.

Lynn,

Boy, that is a big question, and I'm sure all the others that replied here can give you a more comprehensive answer than I can.

Yesterday, I bought a Fuji Nevada 24" mountain bike. It was the only I found that was really made for tall people like myself (6'6"). I think I got a helluva deal at $300. From looking around the shop and a few other places, I think a decent bike can be had for $200-$300. You can spend less, you can also spend lots more.

One thing I'm not quite used to (although I've only read it twice since last night when I picked it up) is the front suspension. The rear is rigid, which I don't mind (I'm not going bolder jumping or hardcore), but I wasn't ready for the bounce in the front when I was standing up and pumping the bike. The really freaky thing for me was how the nose dives during hard braking. But, it sure is nice when making rough transitions from the street to grass or curbs.

For a while I was pretty serious into Mountain Biking, but lately it's something I do when I feel like it-- maybe a couple times a month for 5-10 miles. As for what bike to get, that's kinda like asking "I want to shoot IPSC, what gun should I get?".

I'd start with a decent brand and a decent frame, and maybe go down a notch or so on components if you want to save on price. You can spend the big bucks on Unobtanium upgrade parts later on if you so desire.

lynn,

Stick with the name brands (Cannondale, Diamondback, Giant, GT, Specialized - I'm sure I'm missing a few brands). If your son is planing to do some real mountain biking, don't get anything less than $600. Trust me, the cheap bikes have cheap parts that break very easily. You can easily spend $200 to fix broken parts. You'll have to fork out another $200 if you want a decent full suspension bike. If you're son is only going to be riding back and forth to school, get a $300 bike. You should be able to find some deals on older models and with 2004 models coming out soon, 2003 models should go on sale.

If you have cash burning a hole in your pocket, there are bikes out there that are $4,000.

thanks eric,

no i don't have cash to burn. if i spent $4000 on a mountain bike, it better have gold and diamonds or a really nice gun with it. :D

the kid probably will not do that much riding, but you never know.

Haven't done much in recent years - but used to.

By the way TGO used to be a hell of a rider. Don't know if he does much of it now - but a few years ago he was on a push to lose weight and did it mountain biking.

There was a time when he was harder than Hell to keep up with (imagine that . . . a wee bit of competition :P )

JB

I think it is called a Harley ;)

A regular bike should work, just get some beefy tires and stick with a steel frame. At that weight I would stick to a conventional style bike (no suspension) at that weight.

Yeah, I was thinking the tires would be the sticking point. For me, riding on the road/pavement would be akin to BigDave shredding the trails, so I'd stick to the flats. I'd be surprised if I could get tires that would hold enough air pressure to support me without blowing out. I'm probably asking too much of the design constraints.

Maybe a Harley with pedals would be a good idea after all! :rolleyes:

my son is interested in mountain biking. what's a good bike to buy?

lynn

Lynn,

Think used. You can get so much more bike that way. 95% of people who buy bikes hardly ride them, so in all likelihood, your kid will be getting a new bike.

Aside from that, what the other Eric said. He's 100% correct.

Also think road bikes.

Road biking has an avantage in that it's more accessible and you can more specifically tailor your workouts. Most of the high speed mountain bikers here in Planet Boulder tune up on road bikes in the pre-season.

Also, get a heartrate monitor...they *never* lie!

Michael B

Also, get a heartrate monitor...they *never* lie!

Michael B

Good advice, and BTW, unless you're running the Boston Marathon, the low-end $75 heart rate monitor is all you need. I bought a fancy-schmancy model and have yet to use 5% of it's available features. They're too complicated to remember how to use unless you use it every day.