Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Squib load. Why?

Baer45

I have just gotten to the point where I think I am close to tuning my new 1050. I loaded Wilson's reccomended load of 4.4 Vihtvori 310 behind a Laser Cast 200 swc. When I shot I seemed to notice some sparks. Once the pistol did not fully eject a case and as an after thought; I checked the barrel only to find a squib round!

I have loaded this round before with no problems and the only thing I did differently was try some Dillon case lube. While loading I noticed some powder was sticking to the sides of the interior case wall. I watched the advanced reloading tape and it was pointed out that the new Dillon case lube and Hornady would not affect powder or primers...

Any ideas as to what I should check next? This load is .5 grains higher then Vihtvori's book's maximum but as it is shot consistatlyby Wilson gun buyers and is also reccomended by Sweeney; I tend to think it has a safe track record. Also, I shot around 400 rounds with no problems until now.

Black soot around brass also.

Any help appreciated...new reloader

Hi

I'm posting to let you know you will get a bunch of answers.

the most obvious is do you know if you ran low on powder?

or if anything is partially blocking the powder measure?

it does rattle ones confidence.

I am sure you will find the reason.

miranda

Actually Dillon Case Lube will cause squibs if you get enough of it in the case and it doesn't have time to dry. I ran into the same issue when I started loading with it. I took a square plastic container and sprayed the case lube into the bottom... next, I dropped in they cases and and shook them up and down to vibrate the cases around in there. That picked up the lube from the bottom and the cases spread it evenly over one another without getting excessive amounts in the case mouth. The only time I saw these squibs is when I sprayed heavy and then loaded without them drying and shot them within and hour or two. I have since went to One Shot and you can spray that stuff where ever with no issues at all.

JT

Edited by JThompson

Great help guys. I am going to find that case in the "pile" and look at it as you suggested Guy. I did notice a lot of black but failed to look at base.The only other thing I wonder about that I did differently was to seat the round flush with the case. A swc should be slightly above but it was running my oal way to high...of course this; if anything would increase pressure...?

I had a friend who suffered from unexplained squibs for about a year. He even got to the point of weighing each loaded round. He would still have squibs. Turned out.....Dillon case lube......and not giving it ample time to dry or whatever.

AL

If your powder is sticking to the inside of your cases or if they are clumping up, then you didn't give it enough time to dry and you had moisture in your seated cases.

What I do is put a bunch of cases in a heavy duty zip lock, spray some oneshot in the bag walls, close the bag and toss the cases around. I then pour it into my plastic bin and let it sit next to the opened garage door for 15 minutes. I then inspect the cases and if it's dry reload.

Guy- it appears that it was powder that failed to ignite. I keep my shop conditioned with low humidity. I know I am suppose to pour left over powder back into the container but do not do so because while I am trying to get the machine adjusted properly; it would not make sense. Leaving the powder in the powder bin should not contaminate the powder should it? It is just as enclosed on the machine as it the original container...

Maybe this was just a faulty primer ignition? Brass is in good shape...

Generally, the only real problem leaving powder in a measure is the light. Best storage has the powder in the dark, as well as cool and dry.

Primers with too little priming compound or contaminated priming compound can result in failing to ignite a powder charge, though it's common for the powder to show some effects of whatever heat did reach them - and if the bullet was pushed into the bore, there was some amount of primer action.

Unless you are experiencing further misfires or squibs from the same powder, it seems likely the problem was isolated to that case or primer. Perhaps moisture in the case or something similar.

It can be hard to determine the cause many times.

Hope things go well from here on.

Guy

Why are you using case lube? With carbide sizing dies I have never found it necessary to use any case lube. Lube inside the case can cause poor powder ignition. Assuming that you had a proper powder fill the presence of case lube inside the case could lead to poor ignition and the cause of your squibb. I avoid case lube like the plague.

Edited by TonyT

Been there done that :rolleyes: . I use a cookie sheet and knock all the cases over so I am not spraying down into the cases, but the sides. I then roll the cases around and then give it a little more. I then let it sit for 5 min or so to dry up. I have had no problems since using this method, and My forearms and back appreciate me using case lube. My poofers were .45s as well.......

DougC

I had not used case lube until I read several articles that suggested the use of lube for machine function and longer lasting dies...

Do most people use case lube for 9mm? and if so do you have to clean Dillon and Hornady One Shot off?

I use lube on all calibers loaded on my presses. I load at least 500 - 1k each batch, and usually a couple of K at the same time, so the lube is easier on me and the machine. The lube was designed and marketed to make loading smoother on the press. Use it if you want to, but I wont load without it....it is worth what little hassle there is with it.....IMHO.... :ph34r:

Good luck,

DougC

I'm at ..<wanders over to check press>.. 149,000 rounds of 38 Super and 9mm loaded by throwing cleaned brass any old way into a plastic shoebox, blasting it with 1-shot (maybe a 3-second squirt), shaking the box up and blasting a second light blast over everything, shaking again and dumping into case feeder. No cleaning-off after loading. Not one lube-related malfunction ever.

I don';t believe that you will wear our a set of carbide dies sizing cleaned cases. I don't see enough of a significant difference in loading "stress" between the lubed and unlubed straight wall cases.

I had not used case lube until I read several articles that suggested the use of lube for machine function and longer lasting dies...

Do most people use case lube for 9mm? and if so do you have to clean Dillon and Hornady One Shot off?

Try teflon powder for pistol cartridges. It works great and won't mess with the gunpowder even if it gets in the case. I bought some off ebay. I know several that use it.

D

PS: You just spray a little in your case feeder over the brass.

Edited by ExtremeShot