Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Concealed Handgun

Let's try to stick to the hardware discussion that was the original poster's question.

Discussions about the lethality of the various rounds available don't mesh with the forum guidelines.

Thanks...

Yep your right. It has nothing to do with his caliber poll. I'm way off. :rolleyes: Silly me.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would love to see these "police, medical, and defense reports on wound ballistics"!!! Could you tell me where I can access these things?

A lot is information from people I know. The rest is stuff from journals and the like. I don't have any lists but here are a couple things I have run across recently: Gunshot Wound Ballistics & Wound Balistics 101

Neither have anything about any specific ammo, but have some interesting comments about penetration.

P.S. I feel as if I have hijacked this thread, but choice of caliber and bullet is an often under rated part of choosing a defensive handgun.

Edited by Graham Smith

Let's try to stick to the hardware discussion that was the original poster's question.

Discussions about the lethality of the various rounds available don't mesh with the forum guidelines.

Thanks...

Yep your right. It has nothing to do with his caliber poll. I'm way off. :rolleyes: Silly me.

I would love to see these "police, medical, and defense reports on wound ballistics"!!! Could you tell me where I can access these things?

A lot is information from people I know. The rest is stuff from journals and the like. I don't have any lists but here are a couple things I have run across recently: Gunshot Wound Ballistics & Wound Balistics 101

Neither have anything about any specific ammo, but have some interesting comments about penetration.

P.S. I feel as if I have hijacked this thread, but choice of caliber and bullet is an often under rated part of choosing a defensive handgun.

Yep --- you're both right! tpcdvc --- you are way off, way off the forum guidelines that is. Graham -- you've helped hijack the thread pretty well too......

I'd really like to be able to leave this thread open ---- but that won't happen if the drift continues. There's lots of places on the net and in bookstores to get ballistics info, and any interested parties are welcome to take that discussion to e-mails or pms. Thank you all for your cooperation.....

Which gun?????

Get a weapon that works EVERY time you pull the trigger.

Get one that works AND that you will carry without "ditching" it because its uncomfortable to carry or too heavy.

Get a weapon that is "enough gun" for the possible gunfight that you're carrying it for and that you can shoot without feeling like you want to say "OW!"" every time you pull the trigger.

I carry what my dept issues but if I had my way it would be the Para-Ord LDA .45

JK

I prefer a much smaller platform - either the S&W 642 or the Kahr PM-9. Both fit easilly into a pocket or pocket holster and work well with any clothing.

Edited by TonyT

• 2 weeks later...

Free advice is usually over priced so hears my 2 cents :rolleyes:

Glock vs M&P – whatever points for you the best

9mm vs 40 – with good ammo, the difference is minimal

Other things to consider:

• How will you carry it and what holster will you use?

• Can you draw your pistol quickly and effectively from real concealment (not IDPA concealment - unless you wear a photographers vest everyday). The smaller the pistol, the more comfortable, but that smallness many times makes it harder to draw. It doesn’t matter until it really matters.

• Get a really good belt made for concealed carry. I really like my Rafter S in shark skin.

I pretty much carry a Glock 19 or 23 every time I leave the house. It conceals with only a T-shirt for me. A J-Frame is more comfortable and I do carry one in a pocket sometimes, but the capacity, abilities and versatility of a mid-size Glock dwarfs a J-Frame IMO.

One plus for the Glock is that it has .22lr conversions for practice and Airsoft replicas for force on force.

I go with J-frame in a pocket, of if I am going to bother with a holster it will be a Commander 45 IWB, if for some reason I have to go somewhere I need more I go with a G22 IWB and deal with concealing it. Concealing a baby Glock (or an M&P) is only very slightly easier than concealing a duty sized gun, I don't bother.

Exactly my view: S&W642 in pocket and if needed I have a M&P40 for uncomfortable IWB carry.

That 9 oz Ruger 380 is lookin' better every day.

.38 Special j frame airweight. you won't be sorry.

strap on some of those bigger heavier guns and wear them around, get in and out a car, do some every day activities and see what it feels like..like I said they are big, heavy and ackward.

• 2 weeks later...

Glock 26. Small, smooth. Won't rust even if you sweat on it a lot. Reliable, accurate, safe action is very nice day in and day out, so when you finally get to the part where you pick it up like car keys, you'll probably be fine. Runs even when packed with belly button lint. Not too heavy 10 rounds. If you're big enough +2 mag extension better accuracy for the finger rest. You can shoot it a lot without premature wearing it out so you can learn to shoot it well. The Keltec is nice and little but you shouldn't shoot it much because it's pretty light duty. They're pretty accurate. (both of em') I LOVE my 1911's so I hate to sweat on them. I only LIKE my Glocks so I don't care.

So.....there!

.38 Special j frame air weight. you won't be sorry.

strap on some of those bigger heavier guns and wear them around, get in and out a car, do some every day activities and see what it feels like..like I said they are big, heavy and ackward.

+1

Sure I like to carry bigger guns but my S&W 642 air weight 38 spl. with the hammer shroud is with me more than any other handgun I own.

Loaded up with 5 rounds of 38 spl. +P and 2 speed loaders with me. I think its effective. I carry it in a pocket holster mostly. Easy to carry and access.

The summer months on my bike bring out my 2" 357 hammerless. It is sure an accurate weapon, I think not having much capacity makes u aim a little more! In the winter it is the 5" 45 1911, with believe it or not a magwell and 10 rnd Wilson mags. I carry in the leather shoulder harness with dual extra mags.

• 9 months later...

This is an old post but for those who are still reading it I figured I would give my opinion.

I have a walther pps in .40 caliber and I also have an m&p compact in .40 caliber. I love the concealability of the walther pps however it took quite a bit of time to get adjusted to shooting a pistol that is so slim. The width of the pps measures in at only 1.04 inches! I own the 40 but if I had to do it again I would get a 9mm. The .40 cal. round is alot for that partciular gun and I had to send mine back to walther for some bullet feed issues. From the reviews I read on PPS talk. com and other sites, the 9mm is your best bet. Also, take into consideration the pps only hold 6, 7, or 8 rounds depending on what caliber you have.

Now the m&p compact I love for different reasons. I love the ergonomics and how well it takes the recoil of a .40 cal. round. Because it is a compact it is pretty easy to conceal. Another advantage over the pps is the 10 round magainze.

When comparing the Glock 26 and the M&P I noticed overall the glock 26 is slightly smaller and lighter then the M&P pistol however, I would still choose the M&P. Some weapons are just too small and can be awkward to grip. If you are in a situation where to need to quickly draw the weapon and shoot you don't want to be fumbling over your grip.

If it were up to me I would handle each gun at your local shop and go from there. You may decide on something not even mentioned.