Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Deburring the receiver

Micah

I never really noticed until today how gummy the inside of my Glock lower looks. A function of the Duracoat and many, MANY reloads has left the inside of my receiver looking like a topographical map of India. This difference was underscored after looking at the insides of my G26 (A gun rarely fired). Any suggestions on how to smooth out the inside of my Glock?

I never really noticed until today how gummy the inside of my Glock lower looks. A function of the Duracoat and many, MANY reloads has left the inside of my receiver looking like a topographical map of India. This difference was underscored after looking at the insides of my G26 (A gun rarely fired). Any suggestions on how to smooth out the inside of my Glock?

You're talking about the magazine well?

I, too, have an aesthetic sense that is easily offended (forgive me if I presume too much :rolleyes: ). But if she runs good, well, why mess with what works?

If it's gummy I've always found MPro7 or Gun Scrubber (polymer safe version) did a great job. But remembering what you did to one lower a while back just from reload practice, you probably have a pharoah-grade problem on your hands. I'll take a flyer here and propose a cleaner/polish/protectant product called Can-Do from Saeng that cuts gummy residue of all sorts off plastic better than anything I've ever found. Leaves a righteous shine, too :cheers: .

I use it on everything from clear acrylic windshields to CDs and DVDs. Never used it on a Glock, though, but there's a first time for everything...

Curtis

EDITED: because I hate typos!

Edited by BayouSlide

I, too, have an aesthetic sense that is easily offended (forgive me if I presume too much :rolleyes: ). But if she runs good, well, why mess with what works?

Trust me, it is not an aesthetic ordeal, rather a query of functionality. Am empty mag (with no extensions, plates, or rounds, cuz that's how Prod rolls) will drop faster in a smooth tunnel then a rough one.

If it's gummy I've always found MPro7 or Gun Scrubber (polymer safe version) did a great job. But remembering what you did to one lower a while back just from reload practice, you probably have a pharoah-grade problem on your hands.

Indeed it is scratched up from the practice and bumped up from the Druacoat finish. I am not one to put sandpaper to a gun, but perhapse there is a smooth grade that can be recommended? I am not too handy with that sort of thing.

BTW-I did beat the hell out that old lower BayouSlide! I guess you gotta break some eggs to make an omelet ;)

Indeed it is scratched up from the practice and bumped up from the Druacoat finish. I am not one to put sandpaper to a gun, but perhapse there is a smooth grade that can be recommended? I am not too handy with that sort of thing.

Ouch. Even if it is scratched up, I would be very hesistant to use any sort of sandpaper in an attempt to smooth it out. I've tried on other plastics and regretted it.

The only way I've found to lighten up/smooth deep scratching on plastic is repeated buffing with Novus plastic polish (the brown #2) by hand with a soft cloth or with a dremel buffing wheel run SLOWLY and wet with polish. Slow and wet is important if you're not buffing by hand because most plastics, maybe not the Glock polymer, but nearly every other plastic can soften from the heat a little, melt and you've lost ground and made the problem worse.

You could probably get the top portion of the receiver but I doubt you'd have the enough access to work the mag well portion to any worthwhile extent.

Man, I'd just slick it up with a light plastic polish/cleaner and left it at that...I fear you'll end up doing more damage than good.

Curtis

I appreciate the replys so far, thanks!

post-4139-1222389783_thumb.jpg

I used my camera to take pics of my students and simply cannot find it! (Ergo the ruffling around during our conversation)

I'll post something once I find it...(assuming that I do....)

Use some fine (600-800) sandpaper. It will leave the frame pretty smooth, without the roughness you’d get with coarser paper. The best way I can describe the result would be “well worn”. You should be able to get to most of the magwell if you take the trigger housing out.

I've been in the same boat, once. Tried the sandpaper solution, but after a few strokes with 800grade paper I was worsening the problem.

I made a piece of wood roughly the same shape of a magazine, only 5-6mm narrower, and wrapped a piece of clean cloth.

I put some plastic polish (sorry don't remember the name now), and started stroking the wood piece up and down the mag well, after say one hour total I've had the smoothest and shiniest glock interior I've ever seen.

Please don't use an aggresive or too much abrasive compound. Plastic tend to heat quickly even by hand, after finished, I put some silicone oil in a cloth and polished everything.

Magazines dropped by wish.

Hope it helps.

Walk away from the Glock! :rolleyes:

Hmmm, why exactly? I shoot one of your old Glock blasters occasionally --- and it shoots better than I do. Sort of point it in the general direction of the targets, try not to yank the trigger too hard, and it's mostly 2 alphas......

Just because some people feel they can't make a go of it without being part of the pack, doesn't mean we all have to play by pack rules......

I'm certain the choice of blaster hasn't held me back.....