Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Best Iron Sights

GIO

I had DPMS take a standard A2 front sight/gas block and cut holes to match the standard contour of their barrels. Otherwise the .750 holes are too big to fit the end of the barrel. I guess you could shim it but I think DPMS made a small batch of the custom sized A2 sights. You'd have to call the factory to find out. I then drilled and tapped two set screw from the bottom. One thru the material where the bayonet lug is and the other in the rear band where the sling is attached.

To make it easier attaching, do not remove the normal front sight. Put the new sight on, look thru the sights to line up the new housing and tighten the set screws. Then you need to remove it, dimple the barrel with a drill so the set screws really have a hold on the barrel. Remove the standard sight, locktite the new one on, and you're pretty close to being sighted in.

I don't know how to post pictures here but you can see my set up here. http://www.brucepiatt.com/images/Web%20CMM...rone%20full.jpg

FYI, my front sight is .050 wide and is a "sightlink" made by Mounting Solutions. The model is "Ultra-Match". Available thru Brownells. The fiber optic really helps me. I prefer a 6 o'clock hold when shooting steel. When I shot the R&R Racing targets with the front protection plate painted black, and the white target plate all shot up, I couldn't tell what was sight and what was the black plate. Now I kind of make a figure 8 out of the plate and the fiber optic. When you're shooting up close, the fiber optic is like shooting a dot sight.

I run almost the same set up with no issues.

post-7595-1221528967_thumb.jpg

Does JP still make that sight?

I can only see the one that mounts on the gas block.

That's where I'm confused too. I'm not seeing anything on their site as described. Didn't see anything on Armalite's site either. If someone has a product link, please share! About the closest thing I can find is this Yankee Hill. Is that what ya'll mean? Any problems with a sight that clamps on like this getting knocked around and losing your zero?

Thanks,

Mike

Try the JP front sight block. It is a little smaller then the gas block. .73" vs. .75" if I remember right. I got my front sight from JP, but I don't see it there now. Here is DPMS's version: FS-DET-S

Someone mentioned the DPMS rear sight, I went with Rock River because it is pretty much the same as an A2. It a little beefier that the DPMS and I think it has a little more adjustment.

Armalite part# EU0240MPKIT, I'm calling them tomorrow to order another one for a back up rifle.

DPMS also offers a front sight unit for .936 barrels but you'll have to call them to find out how it attaches, it looks very similar to what Bruce was talking about.

I used at one time a .625 YHM picatinny gas block that was reamed to .720 and clamped to the muzzle I had no issues with it coming loose.

Trapr

Patrick, those sights would at best be to coarse for IPSC rifle use. I would stay closer to what Trapr and I run. The nice thing about .223 is that a 300M zero is only 10cm above line of sight at 200M and 7.5cm at 100M. There is no need for the "multi-aperture" setup. KurtM

I like the way the YHM front attachs. I can change from TO to TI easily.. and get a long sight radius.

Do any of the other sights attach that way?

That they can be bolted on without slipping over the comp, and not attached to the gas block?

ETA: btw - I'm looking for something that will fit on a .875 barrel.

Edited by BerKim

• 2 weeks later...

Which front post to go with? Who makes it? I have a .052 square post but had to file it down to get it short enough to sight in. I got it at the DPMS clubhouse.

I'd like to get a spare but would like one that is sized correctly (height). It was considerably longer than the stock .072.

I had also tried a kns .052 with the ball tip and found that to be long as well. Anyone have time on one of these. I got rid of it, seemed that the round tip held on a round plate at 200 meters was too much "round" to keep focus.

The .052 sight is currently mounted in a yankee hill flip up mounted to the gas block.