Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Anyone done before and after tester with regular vs free float guards?

stgdz

If you are one of the very few 3 gun shooters that uses a sling as a shooting aid or one of many open division shooters who uses a bipod a FF hand guard is a must.

But in twenty years of shooting local matches (limited or tactical division) IMHO a FF hand guard would have made no difference.

A standard grade AR with quality ammo can stay in the A zone at 300 meters or on a 6” plate at 100 no problem, if your shooting targets more challenging then this YMMV.

Locally (Central Florida) I haven’t shot a target past 100 meters in years. A good trigger, good ammo, reliable rifle and magazines and knowing your zero are a lot more important.

Edited by AK74

• 3 weeks later...

In the latest issue of G&A's "Book of the AR-15" is an article where the author tested his Stag Arms carbine before FF HG install (1-1/4" to 2-1/4" groups at 100 yards) and after FF HG install (1/2" group at 100 yards). The only change to the setup was the installation of a JP V-TAC FF handguard.

A huge improvement, but is it a necessary improvement?

Under 2" at 100 yards seems plenty accurate, but if you want it (more accuracy), you can get it.

Bill

My own personal test made no difference. I put a clark CF free float on my upper last weekend. No change what so ever. I was really hoping but no change :angry2: . It will throw 2 shots together, one WAY off and then 2 right next to one another again.

Jim

I've got a Noveske N4 Light Reccee that I put a JP / VTAC FF rail on. I didn't notice any gain in accuracy, however its got an Eotech on it, so...I should have put some glass on it for the before and after testing.

I've wonder if it's a huge benefit for iron sight shooters since seeing 2" at 100 yards is impossible. We'll around 3 years ago, I shot a local match and saw a guy shoot a long distance stage with iron sights, dissipator upper and a sling which he had wrapped around his hand and was pulling on. The sling was connected to the butt stock and front sight assembly and it didn't have one of those hidden free float systems. He nailed everything from 100-200 yard flasher to 200-300 yard larues without any problem. It made me start to wonder if a free float played a major difference for me who shoots tac scope, but I wasn't about to change my setup which already had a free float. Oh ya, that shooter's name was Nils.

A simple test is to shoot at 8" plate 300 yds away supporting off the barricade or similar supporting device where your FF tube can rest on, then aim the same way but this time move the rifle back a bit so the gas block or part of the barrel touches the barricade see if you can hit that plate again using same point of aim. That will answer the question whether or not a FF tube is worth it :devil: