Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Glock Shooting "Glocked" Brass

MustangGreg66

Ok, so there's a lot of talk on here about glocked brass having the guppy belly and I've done my fair share of searching and reading but still I'm not quite satisfied. I have a new (bought in January) G35 that I've been shooting my reloads out of and I've noticed some of the cases are bulged and some of the range brass I've picked up has been bulged. I'm reloading on a Dillion 550 with Dillion Carbide dies (gotta love not needing to use case lube). So Anyway I was wondering if I should be using a U die or not.

I shoot it all out of a glock barrel and I havn't had any problems, never a jam in it's short 1500 round life. So I'm thinking that if I were to use a U die I would probably be working the brass more than needed since it's just going back into the glock sloppy chamber anyway. I shoot regular and nickel plated brass and I don't think I've really re-shot any of the brass I've loaded, I've got quite a bit that I've culled from the range. So I'm wondering if after a few times through the gun and reloader if I'm going to have problems feedng or not...

Thanks

The whole 'over working brass' thing is BS IMO, though the internet is full of people that will tell you otherwise. Without going through a novel, I have taken 100 pieces of range brass using some of each of the common headstamps with unknown firings prior to my test through 15 loadings in a stock G22 barrel at 215 power factor using the U-die, it bulged every firing like some hot factory ammo will do. I never had a case failure, I got tired of documenting it so I stopped and shot the brass again several times before it got lost. In the shooting we do around here there is NO way you will ever retain enough of your brass to even get close to the abuse I subjected my brass to in the test. I can feel the twinge in my wrists just thinking about it, NASTY mean ugly to shoot a G22 above about 170 power factor.

I won't load 40 anymore without the U-die, I am sold completely. IMO there is no downside and plenty to gain. I have been using the U-die in 40 for about 35-40K rounds now and have had exactly ONE malfunction that wasn't a high primer.

The whole 'over working brass' thing is BS IMO, though the internet is full of people that will tell you otherwise. Without going through a novel, I have taken 100 pieces of range brass using some of each of the common headstamps with unknown firings prior to my test through 15 loadings in a stock G22 barrel at 215 power factor using the U-die, it bulged every firing like some hot factory ammo will do. I never had a case failure, I got tired of documenting it so I stopped and shot the brass again several times before it got lost. In the shooting we do around here there is NO way you will ever retain enough of your brass to even get close to the abuse I subjected my brass to in the test. I can feel the twinge in my wrists just thinking about it, NASTY mean ugly to shoot a G22 above about 170 power factor.

I won't load 40 anymore without the U-die, I am sold completely. IMO there is no downside and plenty to gain. I have been using the U-die in 40 for about 35-40K rounds now and have had exactly ONE malfunction that wasn't a high primer.

Wow, thats one hell of a torture test. After seeing that I'm not worried about over working it anymore, haha. I am shooting mosly Nickel plated brass so I wonder if that would make a diffrence, cracking the plating or wearing it off quicker...

What kind of die are you using? The Lee U-die? I've seen the ERW one reffered to here as well.

That track record with the die sure is great, what was it like before the U-die. Did you notice more jams before getting the die? This makes me want to do an experiment myself, but I can just imagine how long it would take me a couple months to shoot and load the same 10 or 100 rounds 15 times. I make it out to the range once or twice a week if I'm lucky and couldn't exactly lug my dillion to the range... or could I... hahaha

i wouldn't load anything i can get a U die for without the U die, glock or other wise. i don't have any rounds fail a gage check since i started using the U dies. i think you might still want to lube your cases with the carbide die. you'd be suprised the difference it makes, try One Shot.

i should of added you'll never break a decapping pin with a U die either.

Edited by ede

I have been through the whole U die thing. I have found that a regular Lee carbide die does just as well without over working the brass. I don't get any more rejected rounds with the regular die than I did with the U die. I really did not like the hour glass shape the U die imparted either.

BTW Glock has tightened up the chamber of their .40s. Not sure when they did but my G35s have much more case support than my slick grip 23.

Well, I will agree with, and split the difference with the above posters.

I use the Lee 4-die set in 40. It has thier standard sizing die (which sizes more than Dillon), and it includes their Factory Crimp Die (FDC).

i think you might still want to lube your cases with the carbide die. you'd be suprised the difference it makes, try One Shot.

I agree with Ed. I hate loading without One Shot.

Awesome informative thread. Good real data.

I too use the U die for all my .40 brass. Don't really need it for 9mm and .45ACP IMO. I will also say that I too notice that some of the newer Glocks seem to have more supported chambers. Can anyone validate this? I picked up a nice used 2nd Gen G22 and I was surprised how much of the chamber was unsupported relative to my newer Glocks. I can also tell you that Glock doesn't corner the market on loose chambers! I have a Sig 229 in .40 that leaves a similar "Glock bulge".

Also- I LOVE the idea of using lube still on the cases. I've done this on occasion and the difference is amazing. I use Dillon lube on a handfull of cases/every hundred I do and it makes a big difference. Maybe I should just use more and make it that much better! I didn't know folks did this still with pistol cases/carbide dies.

All U-dies are made by Lee for EGW, EGW retails them. I have heard that you can get a U-die directly from Lee but I don't know if that is true.

Reliability increased over the Dillon dies alone when I started using the U-die, reliability was just slightly better than the standard Lee die in some really tight chambered guns. The added case tension of the U-die over the standard Lee die tightened up my spreads across the chrono as well.

Nickel brass doesn't seem to last as long as regular brass, but with that said a large portion of the nickel brass will keep going until the nickel is almost completely worn off.

I use Hornady One Shot lube when loading, it smooths the press out and takes a good amount of the work out of pulling the handle. Though there are better lubes than One Shot you don't need to clean the One Shot off after loading like you should with some of the other lubes.

EDIT: spelling

Edited by HSMITH

If you toss in a little liquid car wax with your cleaning media you don't need One Shot.

joe how long does the car wax last? lot of times i'll clean brass and maybe not load it for a year or two.

I shoot all manner of range brass including my Glocked brass, using standard Dillon dies. I've never had a hung round in my memory, nor a blown case. Also, One Shot rocks, I'd estimate it reduces the downstroke effort by a factor of 3-4, easily.

H.

Same here, but I load mostly 9... I did find a cracked one one time though.

I think that I might be looking for one as of today. I had a seriously stuck 9mm case during a match today. I think that it was a perfect storm of shooting GLOCKed reloads through a dirty 1st Generation G17 with a worn extractor from over 100,000 rounds. Up until now it has never been a problem, but one of the other shooters told me about the U die and it may be worth a try-out, especially for my .40 Limited G22.

I am working on my last 55 gal drum of 9mm brass. The Nufinish wax seems to last awhile though.

Sorry... I couldn't help but notice this... you are on your LAST 55 gal drum??? WOW. Are you selling reloads or do you just shoot a ton?

I think that I might be looking for one as of today. I had a seriously stuck 9mm case during a match today. I think that it was a perfect storm of shooting GLOCKed reloads through a dirty 1st Generation G17 with a worn extractor from over 100,000 rounds. Up until now it has never been a problem, but one of the other shooters told me about the U die and it may be worth a try-out, especially for my .40 Limited G22.

casemaster junior from magma sizes the entire case. 45acp die does 15 different rifle cases, however, when you break this modified dillon die you have to buy another at $40.00. no guarantee.