Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Question about loctite for Glock front sight screw

Glshooter

I have always used Blue Loctite for the front sight screws on all my aftermarket Glock front sights. Well now I have one front sight that keeps shooting loose. The Blue Loctite doesn't seem to hold it. I checked the screw and it doesn't seem stripped. I can try Red Loctie I guess but that is supposed to be permanent and require heat to remove. I don't really want that. What else can I try?

I have always used Blue Loctite for the front sight screws on all my aftermarket Glock front sights. Well now I have one front sight that keeps shooting loose. The Blue Loctite doesn't seem to hold it. I checked the screw and it doesn't seem stripped. I can try Red Loctie I guess but that is supposed to be permanent and require heat to remove. I don't really want that. What else can I try?

Trust me and try the red loctite...if your front sight is like mine (a Dawson FO on my G34), it will still loosen up after a couple or three thousand rounds. Make sure to degrease the inner and outer threads completely for best results. Red loctite ain't as scary as it is made out to be...it flows better into the tiny threads than the blue.

Good luck.

Curtis

Hello: Clean the sight and screw with Brake Clean and use compressed air to clean/dry. Then use the Blue again. That should keep it on. Also check to see if the sight is sitting down on the slide and you could add some blue under the sight as well. I don't like using red unless I never want to remove things since you need heat to remove the screw. Hope this helps. Thanks, Eric

Listen to Curtis. It's really that simple. Removing small screws with red is easy with a little heat. It's not that you'd need a torch or anything. Soldering iron or small plumer torch is all it takes.

One other thing to consider- if it does come loose at a match or practice session you are done for the day. hand tightening won't hold it for long. Ask me how I know.

Also, make sure the loctite is only on the thread portion of the screw. If you put it on the tip, it could prevent the screw from tightening all the way as the loctite will be trying to compress between the tip and the bottom of the hole in the sight.

For the record, I've never had to use heat to remove sight screws with red: I wish they were that permanent. Very good advice given, though, about limiting the thread locker, whatever type you use, to the threads itself.

I've only used red on a few things in my wrenching career, mostly sight screws but the bolts in the adjustment slots from a set of Yoshimura cams in a a GSXR race bike also comes to mind. Back in my roadracing and motorcycle wrenching days, I bought one small tube of red...but went through a number of 32 ounces containers of blue loctite for everything else :roflol:

Curtis

EDITED: because I HATE typos!

Edited by BayouSlide

I've used the Purple loctite (supposedly for fine threads), hasn't come loose in 40K+ rounds.

Hadn't run into that, but that sounds like the hot ticket for the problem...the red works better on fine threads than blue, but it seems less than permanent on tiny threads. Have to find me a tube :cheers:

Curtis