Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New Gun or Reload Press?

Lanzo

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When I bought my Dillon 550 used, I sent it into Dillon to make sure it was okay. I told them I bought it used in the letter. I got it back 10 days later , rebuilt with $140 worth of parts on it. The invoice said no charge, we guarantee them for the life of the machine! Great machine and company.

• 3 months later...

I just broke down and bought a reloading press and all equipment needed for it except powder, brass, primer and bullets. I sold one of my guns to fund this and it was about time as I have waited very very long time. It is always a good investment.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Get the reloader, the ability to practice economically will improve your shooting more than any gun purchase.

Thats where I am at now, I am leaning hard on the press too, a 550 set up from BE's store.

• 4 weeks later...
I would buy a press.......(first)

But I would buy a Hornady LNL AP. It has the same features of the Dillon 650

HOWEVER!

With their get loaded program the press is practially FREE.

Then........you can tell your significant other that the press was FREE so then you can still go out and BUY THE GUN!

The best of both worlds.

Practically free? But, will they replace ANYTHING that breaks on it FOREVER like my Dillon 550? Not that it will break, but the gremlins are out there!

• 2 weeks later...

I am for the press too, and all the reasons previously given... economy, SHTF scenarios, always having ammo when it's Friday and you just found a match on Saturday. But there is another reason to get the press. Tailoring the loads to whatever gun you get whenever you get one! Want to shoot production and have a .40... No problem, load light and use lead. Just bought another gun and it's a bit too snappy with factory or some other loads? Get on the forum and search for a solution and play around with the component mix. Uh oh... got the Open bug and had your Limited converted but that pesky compensator is gooing up? Make up and test some rounds with different powders and bullets. A new powder comes out and may be just the ticket for making power factor without breaking your wrist... with a press you can go for it and see! Hmmm... accuracy not quite what you want... play around with the powder/bullet type and weight. Plus the pure pleasure of finding what your gun shoots well and making stuff you can win with... well, there is nothing like that! I may be new to competition in action shooting, (I did do a bit of bullseye and Turkey Shoots) but I have been reloading since I got my first handgun, and that was before I started smoking cigars, and I have been smoking cigars for 40 years! And no... I don't smoke 'em when I reload.