Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Removing Norton's on Dell Vista Laptop.

Daughters college gift came configured like I wanted. But of course Norton pre-installed software has an intrusive window that appears at start up. "Your computers unprotected" junk. I have used several versions of AVAST over the last 6 years or so and prefer it over any other. My computers skills today would be considered intermediate if that's of any help. :)

I hope a simple control panel, add/remove programs does the trick. Thought I'd post here for any additional tips. Thanks in advance.

Jim

Used Norton's uninstaller. :blush: Appears to have been successful. Had a bad experience with Gateway and preinstalled Norton's many moons ago and developed an allergic reaction to included "software bundles". Norton's got a solid reputation for sure, just like to install the software I want. Control issues?... yeah, probably. :)

Jim

Had a problem uninstalling Norton a couple years ago. For some reason the removal tool didn't work, and neither did Add/Remove Programs. So I started deleting files, and found five or so that were really hard to delete. Eventually I got all but one deleted, but it would not go away.

I've had issues with Norton in the past. One being it makes the system run slow because of the way it constantly checks for stuff. Kinda like a type A obsessive compulsive personality.

I deinstalled it from my HP Pavilion using add/remove programs may years ago and found free stuff here. Free AVG

AVG updates every day with a new list of viruses so it can check for them quickly and free up system resources. Good Stuff!

AVG does support the shooting sports so if you choose to buy the premium version you know where some of the money goes. :)

I've tried everything short of reinstalling M$ XP to get rid of Norton on my parents' POS Dell. Used the Add/Remove tool - didn't work. Used the Norton Removal Tool (as Run N Gun suggests) - didn't work. Deleted every Norton/Symantec file - didn't work. Edited the registry to remove any mention of Norton/Symantec - nope, Norton lives on! Instead of bombs, Dells should be dropped on the Taliban.

• 1 month later...
Just to be un-helpful, but I usually repartition and reformat the hard drive on a new computer, then load only what I want.

Yup I do just the same. But I do it with a retail copy of Windows, not the one that comeas with the machine, so there is no chance of it installing something I don't know about. Then I install AVG Free. Works the best for me.

As far as removing norton crap, the Add/Remove programs section in the control panel should remove it all. Just uninstall everything that has to do with Symantec and Norton and you should be good. Then Run something like CCleaner and that should clear up any junk in the registry from it.

Edited by mjohns930