Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

POLYGONAL RIFLING

oldtimer

They are polygonal. I just cleaned mine. Although with EAA's consistency, who knows what they current batch is?

Not to be rude, but why do you ask?

Not rude at all, I have a match and honestly I cannot tell it appears to be standard rifling, I considering reloading using

lead bullets and have heard polygonal does cause more leading. EAA advertising states Polygonal rifling however ive read

on various boards and gun shops tell me they are not. I've also read the polygonal type is more accurate, true, false.?

I like my Match 45acp but trying too learn more as I do with any new firearm.

They are polygonal. I just cleaned mine. Although with EAA's consistency, who knows what they current batch is?

Not to be rude, but why do you ask?

Not rude at all, I have a match and honestly I cannot tell it appears to be standard rifling, I considering reloading using

lead bullets and have heard polygonal does cause more leading. EAA advertising states Polygonal rifling however ive read

on various boards and gun shops tell me they are not. I've also read the polygonal type is more accurate, true, false.?

I like my Match 45acp but trying too learn more as I do with any new firearm.

The polygonal barrels in my guns are extremely accurate, and there is no problem shooting lead bullets out of them. They don't really even lead up much, if at all. The EAA web site doesn't list a polygonal barrel with this gun though; only a "match" barrel.

Tanfoglio barrel rifling is what they call semi-poligonal, which is (according to what the italian version of their website reports) basically a conventional rifling with smoothed land edges.

I have been shooting at least 6K lead 9mm bullets in my Stock II this year, and had no problem whatsoever of leading or accuracy.

Edited by Skywalker

Tanfoglio barrel rifling is what they call semi-poligonal, which is (according to what the italian version of their website reports) basically a conventional rifling with smoothed land edges.

I have been shooting at least 6K lead 9mm bullets in my Stock II this year, and had no problem whatsoever of leading or accuracy.

My understanding is that they are hammer forged polygonal. No button rifling process at all, and there are no traditional lands or grooves. That squares with what I see when I inspect the bore, but either way, they are great shooting barrels.

I asked Tanfoglio. Here is what they said:

"With polygonal rifled barrels you can used any type of bullets but if you use the hard cast bullets we suggest you to size them .001 or .002 in. larger than the standard caliber size.

Best regards and have a nice week end.

Customers Service

FRATELLI TANFOGLIO S.N.C.

Via Valtrompia 39/41

25063 Gardone Val Trompia (BS) - Italy

Tel: +39 030 8910361 | Fax +39 030 8910183 www.tanfoglio.it "

Good info, I supects due to lands/grooves being less pronounced standard size lead bullets would tend to be less accurate just guessing since I have not tried lead at this point.

I asked Tanfoglio. Here is what they said:

"With polygonal rifled barrels you can used any type of bullets but if you use the hard cast bullets we suggest you to size them .001 or .002 in. larger than the standard caliber size.

Best regards and have a nice week end.

Customers Service

FRATELLI TANFOGLIO S.N.C.

Via Valtrompia 39/41

25063 Gardone Val Trompia (BS) - Italy

Tel: +39 030 8910361 | Fax +39 030 8910183 www.tanfoglio.it "

• 4 months later...

So, will lead bullets cast in the Lee TL 401 175 SWC mold work in a Tanfoglio chambered for 40 s&w or 10mm?

What about .452 inch cast lead bullets in a large frame Tanfoglio in 45 ACP?

Has anyone "slugged" any of their Tanfoglios to see what size they really are?

Thanks!

Edited by USAFA82

Hi,

All Limited, Stock etc. models should have match barrels from Lothar Walter in Germany, who have an excellent reputation in target rifle shooting.

Furthermore, I have been told that the Tanfo barrels are chromed, so don`t mess around with them apart from some light polishing. Mine has a noticeable machining mark in the crown at the muzzle but I was advised not to have it removed due to the chrome plating.

Together with the fact that they have a semi-polygon profile they are sooooo easy to clean :D .

Bianchi