Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

338 Laupa or 338 RUM?

Bear1142

www.defensiveedge.net

Shawn is well known in the world of long range shooting/ hunting, rifle building AND has a wildcat cartridge that would fit you

to a tee......338 EDGE!

Check his web page, google 338 Edge and search snipershide and the long range hunting / shooting forums for "other" opinions.

Don't buy before you at least check out his offerings.

You going to Multigun Nationals????

Later

Patrick

Edited by P.E. Kelley

338 Lapua or 338 Remington Ultra Mag (RUM?)

I'm leaning towards the 338 RUM as the base rifle and brass seems to be significantly cheaper with no real loss in performance to the Lapua.

Any thoughts?

Erik

I say .338LM, that's what I would get.

Oh yeah, I did get a PGWDTI Timberwolf in .338LM. :cheers:

HPIM1272.jpg

RePete, or any of you for that matter: What is the benefit of the spiral cut fluting on the center portion (only) of the barrel in the pic?

The reason that the fluting ends where it does is that the step, just in front of the fluting, is the support for the rear of the supressor.

The spiral fluting, opposite to the rifle twist, helps with the cooling and alleviates some of the torque on the barrel when fired.

• 2 months later...

I'm leaning towards the 338 RUM as the base rifle and brass seems to be significantly cheaper with no real loss in performance to the Lapua.

Any thoughts?

Erik

I say .338LM, that's what I would get.

Oh yeah, I did get a PGWDTI Timberwolf in .338LM. :cheers:

HPIM1272.jpg

WOW that is a nice rifle! 338 Lapua is a nasty cartridge. If I could afford it right now that is what I would be getting. Just for fun. But I think I might have to be selling my fun rifle soon. :(

Any thoughts?

Erik

I have been shooting and hunting whitetail deer with a box-stock Remington 700 LSS in 338 RUM since the round first came out.

Observations:

This gun shoots sub .75 groups every time. Virtually every year at sight in time, the first 2 rounds will overlap

I never shoot more than 2 groups in a given day, the recoil is harsh. Instead of the push of a 375 H&H, it's more like a punch.

The round is way overmatched for hunting deer, but with correct shot placement, it eliminates trailing.

I do reload for this cartridge, powder usage is extreme due to case volume.

All in all it's my go to rifle.....