Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Self Image

I have had the benefit of being the MD for 2 different clubs, and ive been able to meet alot of shooters and watch them shoot.Making many friends along the way.

What I have noticed(and I know this is not always the case)That the shooters that have the strongest self image, who are always confidant, outgoing...ect.Seem to excel at a faster pace.

Is this a correct observation?

I think confidence is a huge asset in this sport. There have been many occasions where my confidence level has taken a hit and my times suffered as a consequence of this. I was too afraid of missing the target that everything slowed down to a crawl. For me, confidence mostly comes with practice, but if I can't practice then I have to rely on good results at a match/stage to give me confidence for the next match/stage.

There is an obvious down-side to this, a bad stage can cause other bad stages (like a domino thing). I have noticed that many other shooters are able to bounce back better from failure than I can and this may be related to the whole 'self-image' thing. I read somewhere (may have been one of Saul's books) that to be a champion you have to think that you are a champion. That suggestion makes a lot of sense to me, but I'm not sure that I can accomplish something like that as I know that in my case it has little basis in reality <_<

Lanny Basham, in his book, With Winning in Mind, has a whole chapter about this. A poor self image will keep you from advancing as fast as you could. He even goes into detail about how to change your self image and keep it even with your concious and sub concious mind. He calls that a perfect triad state and that is when you are the strongest because they are all working together evenly.

One thing I've noticed in life is that there is a fine line between self confidence and arrogance. The first is a fine trait and the second does nothing but annoy the hell out of everyone else. I think the best way to determine which is which is the self confident person will be more than willing to help however possible, reflecting on their past experiences whereas an arrogant individual will TELL you how it is and how great they are. I know this is a little off the OP topic, but to me it's a very important personallity trait.

I have had the benefit of being the MD for 2 different clubs, and ive been able to meet alot of shooters and watch them shoot.Making many friends along the way.

What I have noticed(and I know this is not always the case)That the shooters that have the strongest self image, who are always confidant, outgoing...ect.Seem to excel at a faster pace.

Is this a correct observation?

In general, there is some truth to that. But watch out for one of the most confident Temperament Types of all, the ISTP. Spacial perceivers, fine motor skilled, and although Introverted by nature, they are extremely confident.

IMO they have the truest type of confidence - confidence in their skills and their ability to execute them, only.

be

In general, there is some truth to that. But watch out for one of the most confident Temperament Types of all, the ISTP. Spacial perceivers, fine motor skilled, and although Introverted by nature, they are extremely confident.

IMO they have the truest type of confidence - confidence in their skills and their ability to execute them, only.

be

Myers-Briggs!! It's scary how accurate MBTI types are!!

Thanks...now I have a headache to go along with the backache that has me up this late.

I think I'll go into my chemically induced coma and contemplate the complexity of my eyelids now.

A couple question first:

1. Does hanging out with my dog qualify as being "energized" by others?

2. What is "energized" anyway? Is it like the dialithium crystals they were always sending Scotty to go find on Star Trek?

3. If I get energized (If a tree falls in the forest......) and theres noone around to see it am I really energized?

I think you guys read too much into these psych tests.

We used to have to take the whole minnisota multiphasic test and then see the shrink every year to stay in the tactical team.

Then one of our senior guys just got tired of answering the same questions year after year and when the shrink asked "What do you like to do for hobbies?" He answered "I like to go to my picture window and watch the little girls get off the school bus."

That earned him a trip to the local psych hospital for evaluation (Docs have no sense of humor) where he then confessed to the resident that he was just fudging with the doc.

So they gave him a certificate that pronounced him as sane.

Bob used to brag that he was the only one certified as sane and there was still doubt about the rest of us.

Fun stuff.

JK

As in shooting- so in life...

Those with self confidence and the ability to do a ruthless self appraisal tend to get a lot farther, faster than those that can't. Cocky types can only go so far, because they figure that they already have it figured out.

• 5 months later...
As in shooting- so in life...

Those with self confidence and the ability to do a ruthless self appraisal tend to get a lot farther, faster than those that can't. Cocky types can only go so far, because they figure that they already have it figured out.

+1

I know a few of them that you can't teach anything to because....they already know everything there is to know and even if they didn't, they never admit it.

Edited by glockman2000