Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Clearing reversed shells the Ubl way

kurtm

Tim just clued me in on the really fast way to clear out a shell from Benelli shotgun loaded in the wrong way. Yea I know, but sometimes it happens. You DON't have to take the gun apart, You don't need any tools, and it can be accomplished in about 3 seconds. I tried this with the shell under the lifter and if you got rambunctiouse a backwards shell on top of the carrier ( like a ghost load). It works with the gun full or almost empty. Tim now has risen to "shotgun god" status, no longer just a deciple. I am going to let him explain it, as you should truely hear it from the master. KURTM

Edited by kurtm

Well....it's like this Merlin. I was RO'n Benny at the 2005 RM3G on the stage called "Steel Henry" and he managed to flip a slug around and lock his gun up tighter than a tick on a dogs butt. And it seemed to cost him a lot of valuable time gettin that shell out. Of course, I kinda laughed it off....he deserved it for doin something SOOOOOO stupid. And ya know how things are REALLy funny till they happen to you??? Well, yep, I was at a match and darn if the same thing didn't happen to me. Cost me about 20 seconds and a REALLY bad run on an easy stage.

So when I got home...I sat down with my M2 and a shell....and proceeded to see just how the M2 works with a backwards shell. And I found something out. It's REALLY easy to get that shell out after all if ya look at just how those M1/M2's function.

All ya's need to do is hold that bolt back real secure like with your strong hand (I use my thumb around the bolt and pinky around the back of the trigger gaurd.....this is KEY....the bolt can NOT move during this procedure.

Then you take your other hand....and using that middle finger (that one you've been known to salute people with when thay do ya wrong) reach around under the receiver and into the ejection port.....put that finger on the top side of the shell, slide it back (to clear the back end of the barrel) and then push down against the shell lifter. Tip the gun over so that the ejection port is down.....and let the loose shell fall out. NOW....you get style points if you catch the shell, throw it back in and shoot it. NOTE: If the bolt moves at all....the lifter goes back up against the shell.

Merlin...you tell Benny that I will personally show him how to do that at RM3G.

Tim

Edited by TRUBL

I had this jam before, I've got video of my frustration too. I shot the stage and was going to

ditch the shotgun and move on to rifle. I dont know what I was thinking, I knew that I

had one in the chamber but instead of racking it back I turned the gun left side down and woosed

the bolt back to look inside. The shell jumped up about 2", flipped and went back in. ahhhhh... :o:o

Tried evrything, even "banging on the reciever" :wacko: , I them held the bolt back and got my finger in there

pretty much like Trubl said ...

Thank god you told me how to fix it as we leave for rm3g in a week. Have lots of time to practice. Problem with the time I did it was I let go of cocking handle after putting in slug backward, yeh,yeh, I know, & the bolt ramed the brass into the chamber & would only come out after useing a knife to pry it out & a lot of bad language. I had to stab the blade through the shell & pull HARD to get it out.

<---LMAO!!! Cause I can just see you doing that!

Steel challenge match last month, local, running rimfire open with a Buckmark. Had a fail to extract. Yanked mag and caught it in my teeth, locked slide back, whipped out the Benchmade folder and dug out the shell, reinsert mag and rack it and finish the string. Ended up with a 13 and some change for my efforts, but it was fun. Good thing I got to throw that one away.

ro'd a guy at the area 1 3 gun 2 years ago-his benelli is tied up pretty good...shells not coming out of his tube either. he gives up, and upon further review, since his gun was hot, i look into the mag tube and notice "16 GA" on the brass. i calmly ask him what caliber his shotgun is and he says 12 gauge. :lol: :lol:

Pfft. Silly spaghetti shooters stuffing shells in backwards.

Was that a Freudian slip...stuffing shells...hmmm sounds like dinner at an Italian restaurant. :)

Nanci, what are you doing reading a thread about Benellis? Thinking about making the switch, aren't ya? ;)