Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

how much do you spend per shot shooting airsoft

GARD72977

cost per shot on airsoft... I dont think anyone has figured that before. I think I paid like $12 for 5k BBs the only thing i did to save some cash was got a propane tank adapter. The green gas is propane it just has silicone oil in it.

cost per shot on airsoft... I dont think anyone has figured that before. I think I paid like $12 for 5k BBs the only thing i did to save some cash was got a propane tank adapter. The green gas is propane it just has silicone oil in it.

I was not sure how much gas the gun used. On the other fourms I hae heard that the 1911 pistols were gas hogs. Dont get me wrong Im not cheap just dont want to spend a lot of money shotting BBs when I could be slinging lead. It may be that they guys are doing airsoft competition and the clip does not last long enough.

Some quick math produces a shot cost of .0031 cents per shot, for a total of $15.94 per 5K... :) That is alot of practice, I don't care who you are! :lol:

You can buy these components at Evike.com in bulk and save $$$. And as Bkeeler mentioned no gasoline going to a range.

According to the manufacture of the gas I use, you get approximately 1200~3000 rounds on an average standard size Airsoft gas gun per can. I have been averaging about 1200 rounds. The mags on the WE Hi-Capa seem to hold up to one charge per 30 rounds. That depends on the pace and intensity of your practice routine. If you are shooting bill drills, the mag will get too cold too quickly to shoot all 30 rounds generally. But I have 6 mags to eliminate waiting for them to warm up again. On regular movement drills or transition practice drill I don't experience this problem. I can shoot a 400 round practice session in less than an hour. The nice thing is no jams associated with many of the picky .22 conversions out there.

1200 rds per can of gas sounds good. That is the information I was looking for.

I shoot a Para but I will buy a glock 34 soon. I plan to shoot both in different events.

which airsoft gun would you buy? Should I buy one with all the upgrades? I really want a quality gun.

Edited by Duane Thomas

I shoot a Para but I will buy a glock 34 soon. I plan to shoot both in different events.

I have broken the plastic slides on two glock 34s (KWA I think). I thought they were great till they broke (in a matter of weeks). I found a metal slide replacement slide, but have not been able to get it to run right.

Here are some options from Evike.com

http://store.matrixbb.com/servlet/-strse-2...K%29-KJW/Detail

I have been happy with my WE Hi-Capa though. It would be a great compramise.

If you want a Para, you may have to compromise (or buy used). I've been searching for one for a little while. They are discontinued, and getting tough to find.

I'm sitting here with one I just got from eBay. Got a good deal on it, but haven't tested it yet (still no gas or BBs).

This is my first airsoft, so I have nothing to compare it to. Appearance and "feel" are near-perfect. I got the all-metal one, with metal barrel.

Weight is great,

Magazine = 12oz

Gun = 21oz

Total = 33oz

For your original question, my breakdown goes like this:

Gun & (4) mags = $140

Propane adapter = $18

Silicone = $5

5,000 BBs = $12 (for indoor (trapped))

3,500 biodegradeable BBs = $12

Add shipping and some propane, and I'm in for $200.

That's about 2.4 cents per round for the first 8,500 rounds. You can bet that a bunch of those shots will be taken for fun, and not practice, so the cost goes up a bit. If you already own a .22, the airsoft isn't looking like a huge cost-saver.

I also plan to use this gun for dry-fire-that-cycles-the-slide.

Using regular propane isn't worth it in my experience for several reasons:

1. It smells like hell

2. It cost additional money to equip with adapters, tanks, silicone and such

3. It is a pain in the ass filling and refilling

4. Silicone needs to be added or your seals will puke- see reason #3

5. It wears the gun out faster, and doesn't have as good of mileage per charge.

These are just my experiences. I found it was easier just getting the Airsoft gas. You can get better prices at Evike than $12/5K for bb's and gas is the best price on the web I have found.

Adding the cost of the gun and equipment associated is, IMHO, unrealistic in equating the shot cost. You don't hear of people figuring the cost of their custom gun, belt, reloading equipment etc when they figure out the cost of their reloaded ammo...And as far as the .22 conversion option, the conversions cost several times more than that of Airsoft. ;)

If you already own a .22, the airsoft isn't looking like a huge cost-saver.

That is if you already own one. Consider the cost of a .22 conversion with 6 magazines:

Marvel Unit 2= $320

Magazines= $258

TOTAL= $578

WE- Hi-Capa= $90

Magazines= $150

TOTAL= $240

So that is far less than half the cost of the unit and mags....now lets look at ammo...

5K of .22 ammo= $217.90 (Graf&Sons) Win Expert

5K of Airsoft bb's= $48 (Evike) Gas & bb's

Obvious cost savings here!

So the grand totals with 5K rounds are:

.22 conversion $795.90

Airsoft $288.00

That is a savings of $507.90 per 5,000 rounds. I shoot that in about a month with my Airsoft guns. I don't know about you, but that sounds like a huge cost saver to me...Never mind the cost of gas and time going to the range= $PRICELESS$ That is more of a deterent than people take into consideration. I can just go out to the backyard with the airsoft. It would take 1-2 hours round trip to go to a range to shoot my .22 conversion (about $15-20 in gas per trip). And lugging and setting up and tearing down the targets and props everytime takes more time....this way I can leave my "range" setup in my backyard.

Rocket35, off-topic here, but as long as you're in the thread, and we're talking airsoft.....

I've checked out your videos, and they prompted me to get the airsoft gun. I went with proapane adapter (and didn't order any green-gas to compare the two).

Any other advice for someone just getting into airsoft training? info where you "learned the hard way" to help us avoid any pitfalls you ran into?

Rocket35, off-topic here, but as long as you're in the thread, and we're talking airsoft.....

I've checked out your videos, and they prompted me to get the airsoft gun. I went with proapane adapter (and didn't order any green-gas to compare the two).

Any other advice for someone just getting into airsoft training? info where you "learned the hard way" to help us avoid any pitfalls you ran into?

Don't mean to drift the thread- but, since you asked, here are a few things in my blog: ;)

http://rocketsshootingjournal.blogspot.com...my-airsoft.html

Now that is really getting to the bottom of cost per shot. Im lucky the range is on my way to work. About 15 min from the house. I do want to pratice in the yard. Im going to get one just dont know which one yet!

• 2 months later...

Past the initial investment, the cost goes nearly to zero. With a propane adapter and targets designed to gently trap the pellets, cost per shot goes well below a penny. 3$ for 4000 or so rounds worth of gas and reuseable pellets. If you'll drape an old towel behind your targets and draw up the bottom to catch the pellets, they experience no wear from the trap. Couple that with a replaceable A zone (just use ordinary paper) and the pellets will last a long, long time.

H.

I recently got a we hi-capa since I don't have a range I can get to to practice. I love it! I use it to emulate an STI eagle, which I use for IPSC, and IDPA. It fits in my Limited Rig perfectly, however, it won't fit my IDPA rig due to the WE Hi Capa having an integral rail. I would still recommend it. It shoots good, ammo is dirt cheap, and I can shoot in my back yard or garage. I made up some targets in MS Power Point, and converted them to pdf. Here's the pdf:

I recently got a we hi-capa since I don't have a range I can get to to practice. I love it! I use it to emulate an STI eagle, which I use for IPSC, and IDPA. It fits in my Limited Rig perfectly, however, it won't fit my IDPA rig due to the WE Hi Capa having an integral rail. I would still recommend it. It shoots good, ammo is dirt cheap, and I can shoot in my back yard or garage. I made up some targets in MS Power Point, and converted them to pdf. Here's the pdf:

Deleted and replaced with: http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=73666

• 8 months later...
5. It wears the gun out faster

How do you figure? If Green Gas is just propane with silicone added, how can running propane with silicone added wear the gun out faster than running Green Gas?

BTW, here's a link to a very interesting page written by a guy who actually took three different brands of Green Gas to a testing laboratory, and confirmed they're propane.

http://airsoft-innovations.com/lab1.html

Hi! I am not sure the heated discussion about green gas is necessary. Yes, you can use propane, but green gas is better if you get it from a known manufacturer like HFC. It is more pure propane, without the mercaptan outhouse stench of barbecue propane, no butane in it,and has the silicone oil in the mix inside the can giving better dispersion than spraying oil on the mag valve and hoping it gets inside the gas chamber in the magazine. The Chinese in Taiwan have been running these airsoft guns for years-they know what they are doing. Here is my cost breakdown: KSC Glock 17 $120, 6000 BBs $12, 2 cans green gas (approximately 6K shots) $14, shipping $12 = $158. I bought a case of Federal American Eagle 9mm ammo today for $300 and was happy to get it. Airsoft is a great adjunct to regular training and is used by LE, the military since the 60's, and now IPSC shooters. It is great for nighttime when you can't get to the range, setting up classifiers at home to practice, and is a lot of fun. I think it is the best first step in teaching how to go through a shoot house scenario. Here's a picture: The KSC is the top gun, my Glock 17 is the one on the lower left. They are identical for general purposes and the KSC fits nicely in the Blackhawk Serpa holster shown. Here is a good target, 2 USPSA targets-the BB goes through the first one, hits the second one, and drops into the box for re-use: Here is why it makes sense to buy green gas (this is the valve on the can, every can)-for $6.00 you get the valve, 3K shots, and clean gas: Definitely cost effective. Don't bother with propane, it's like starting a fire with two wooden sticks instead of matches.