Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

how much do you spend per shot shooting airsoft

GARD72977

It is more pure propane,

Do you know that for a fact, and if so, how? And if that is true, why does it matter?

without the mercaptan outhouse stench of barbecue propane

The reason propane stinks - propane in and of itself has very little smell - is that it's been treated to smell as a safety precation for leaks. I can live with the smell in return for the cost savings.

no butane in it

Again, how do you know that? And if propane did have butane in it, how would that be a bad thing?

and has the silicone oil in the mix inside the can giving better dispersion than spraying oil on the mag valve and hoping it gets inside the gas chamber in the magazine.

I put two drops of silicone oil in the reservoir before fitting the adaptor to the magazine's intake valve. I fill the magazine with gas. I unscrew the adaptor. The silicone oil is gone. Where do you think it went?

Here's my cost breakdown:

The best price for Green Gas I could find in the Tacoma and surrounding cities area, after phone calls to every gun shop, and every sporting goods store, basically any place that struck me as a possibility (and then I had to do a 'net search on top of that because none of the places I called had Green Gas) was $13.99 at Sportco for one 8 oz. can. All that phone calling and 'net searching was necessary for me to find a whopping three vendors in my area. And I used the phrase "in my area" loosely; I finally had to go to a surrounding city to get the Green Gas. The two 16.4 oz. cans of propane I walked into my local Wal-Mart and bought cost me $5.12. Do that math. If you're buying locally rather than ordering in - probably from out of state - and waiting for it, Green Gas costs a bit over 11 times as much as canister propane. Even with the $14 for two (I assume 8 oz.) cans plus $12 shipping cost referenced earlier in this thread as such a great deal, Green Gas still costs over ten times more (granted that assumes that if you double the order the shipping also doubles, which may well not be true) than the propane I can buy at any home supply store, any hardware store, any camping store, any sporting goods store, any deparment store of any size. Hell, my local Safeway sells propane bottles.

When it comes to easy availability and cost, propane has it all over Green Gas.

Duane, calm down. Look at the labels. Butane has different properties than propane, one of which is volatility, to put it simply, it is more sluggish. It also has toxic properties that propane does not. I know it is colorless and odorless-it is the mercaptan that is put in propane that smells-it is not put in green gas. So you put some silicone on and it disappears. If your gun works ok-good. But you are working really hard to get there. It is too easy to turn a can of green gas upside down and fill the mag, and really easy to carry it around to friends and ranges. You can get green gas at any number of internet stores for around $6 a can (3K shots) and have it delivered to your house. It is safer and easier to use green gas. But if you want to encourage the use of propane, go ahead. I really don't understand your vitriol. I am a certified chemist, does that help? I really like your articles and your dedication to the shooting sports, but I think you are overboard here. Is propane that important to you?

I am calm. You're inferring vitriol where none exists. I'm just asking questions because you're making a lot of definitive statements without supporting facts. And when I apply logic to what you're saying, it just doesn't hold up. For instance:

Butane has different properties than propane, one of which is volatility, to put it simply, it is more sluggish.

What does 'more sluggish" mean, and why does it matter? It certainly doesn't mean that propane is going to generate less velocity or pressure than Green Gas, as anyone with access to a chronograph who's ever run pellets powered by both over it can tell you. Because Green Gas IS propane. And you still haven't told me how you know that canister propane has butane in it. I'm not saying it doesn't (and if it does, I'm still not sure why I'd actually care), I"m just wondering how you know that. I look at the labels on my propane canisters and I'm not seeing it.

It also has toxic properties that propane does not.

What sort of toxic properties? And if so, why does it matter? Is butane - assuming it's there - so poisonous, and exists in canister propane in such quantities that I'm in danger if I use propane to power my Airsoft? That must be why they sell canister propane to anyone with the money, and butane as well, and even fill cigarette lighters with butane that people are constantly holding up to their mouths and noses, huh? Because they're both so toxic?

So you put some silicone on and it disappears. If your gun works ok-good.

I agree.

But you are working really hard to get there.

It doesn't seem that hard to me, especially for the price savings.

It is too easy to turn a can of green gas upside down and fill the mag, and really easy to carry it around to friends and ranges.

It's also easy to carry around a canister of propane that already has an adaptor affixed, and a little tube of silicone oil.

You can get green gas at any number of internet stores for around $6 a can (3K shots) and have it delivered to your house.

Really? Cool. Can you give me a link to a site with those sorts of prices? So, once we add in shipping, that gets the price of Green Gas down to, what, seven times the cost of propane? Of course that assumes you're going to be able to get the four 8 oz. cans for $24 necessary to give you the same amount of canister propane that I bought for $5 while also paying only the same $12 to ship the four cans that you paid to ship two.

It is safer and easier to use green gas.

The "safer" part is an unsupported statement. You haven't given me anything that shows me propane is unsafe to use. Blatantly it is safe.