Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Match Vs. Practice

Jeeper

For those of us on a budget for our ammo:

If you could only afford say X amount of rounds per week to shoot but had a lot of free time. What percentage of said X amount of rounds would you use in practice versus shooting matches?

If you need an example say X is 700 rounds and there are at least 2 matches a week you could shoot which both average about 100 rounds. Plus the cost of matches might dwindle your bullet alotment further. Would you shoot both matches, one, one every other week, none?

Most weeks I only shoot one match. I'm lucky if I can get to practice weekly with any regularity ---- and am really happy between January - March, when it's slow enough that I can practice twice a week if the weather allows. If you've got time, I discovered that two separate 150 round sesions are better than one three-houndred round session. You could probably get this down to a ridiculous number --- I'm not sure that fifty rounds, five days a week, beats a hundred, three times a week.

I believe it depends on where you are in your shooting career. If early (U,D,C class), club matches are the best way to get experience with *the game* and learn what it's about, how to play it, and how to play yourself. Later, with more experience, round count naturally shifts more to practice, and many at the top shoot only a few area matches and nationals every year (almost 100% rd expenditure in practice). It's something personal you have to figure out yourself...

You've got to get to where you can go a match and confidently say to yourself, "I can do all of this."

Make a list of strengths and weaknesses and design drlls around your weaknesses.

Shoot two very focused live fire sessions a week, 100-200 rounds is plenty. (2 x 150 = 300)

That leaves 400 for matches.

Free time? Dry fire is FREE. I'd be doing an hour a day, minimum.

SA

Myself, I'd put about 75% of my budget into practice rds.

Matches are of course the test of "can I perform right now, on demand?". But early in our training I think its critical to try different techniques, run exercises in different ways, so that when a challenge presents itself at a match we can confidently say, " this is the best way for me to do "x" right now, and this is how long it will take me."

Al

• 2 weeks later...

I used to shoot a lot of rounds (300-350) in practice, partly because it took me so long to drive to the range. It seemed stupid to drive 2 hours roundtrip only to shoot 100 rounds. Now that I can shoot closer, my practice sessions are a few times a week using only 100 rounds each session. Between each string I pick up the brass and take time to think about how the last string went--how was my grip and stance? Did I blink? Where were my hits? etc. It's easy to lob a lot of rounds downrange but I'm not sure how much good it does if it isn't focused practice where each action is dissected.

I would combine what Detlef and Steve Anderson said. It depends where you are in your climb to the top, but you have to be able to go to any match and say to yourself, I can do ALL of this well.

it certainly helps enormously to encounter something odd and say "I've done that already!". Moving bridges, shooting one-handed while dangling off a rope, shooting from a moving vehicle, starting with your hands submerged under water, true weak-hand-only stages including pick-up off table, total darkness, shooting while on roller skates, jumping off a high platform w/ gun holstered, being sprayed w/ water while shooting (Hi Nolan!) aso asf The only way to get this experience is go out and shoot matches. Besides, this is really where the fun is...

--Detlef

I would say shoot as MANY matches as you can while you are learning. I think the more experience you have the less you learn in matches, and the time/$$$ is better spent on practice, so you can work on the things you need to work on. Just my 2-cents

Start position was skates on. we had the option of taking them off and running. Since I know how to skate, I left them on because it's much faster & smoother than running...cool stage! Needless to say, this was not in the litigious U.S.A....

Detlef

Where and when were you being sprayed with water while shooting? Other than that one and the roller blades, I have done everything you mentioned in a match. I have to admit that some of it was a complete surprise when I did it, but after the first time, I have practiced some really strange stuff.

Learned to shoot out of a moving car at Cooper's school taking #499.

tl,

spraying with water was done annually at the Golden Gate, organized by BE's own Nolan (Smyth)... Hit a no-shoot popper in front of a pretty far target? On comes the water... It was cool, literally....

--Detlef

PS I took499, too. 1993, I believe, just when they were being "Gray"d...

My thoughts on the original post question: I think it depends on why you shoot and what you're looking to accomplish or get from the sport. Why do you shoot matches? Do you shoot matches because you enjoy the competition? For me, that's pretty much the single largest motivator. If you're of the same mindset, you would only practice to shoot matches anyway; so as long as your X example is a number of rounds greater than the total rounds needed for both matches, I would certainly shoot both matches. . If you're looking to improve your shooting, and don't care about the match competition, the most improvement, at least for basic to mid-range skills, would be brought about sooner by using your ammo for practice. In either case, a regular dry fire routine is absolutely critical.

Ah, where the fun is...

For many of us, the enjoyment is what it is about - the camaraderie of good friends, doing fun stuff in the sun (or water, as the case may be if Nolan has anything to do with it). That's mostly where it's at for me. I shoot, in matches as well in the occasional practice, because I enjoy shooting.

But the competition...

Well, that's where it's at for many. Improving your skills and doing well because of it is fun, but takes work - doing drills and putting rounds down range. I'd like to do well, too, and am finally trying to put in the time to move up in class.

It is a matter of figuring out what is important to you at the time, and dividing your time accordingly.