Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Finally got it running again.

Tactical Timmy

I run a Trubor in 9mm major, i had it tuned by Dawson , and upgraded by my gunsmith.Gun ran perfectly for a year.

Then this spring i decided to add a shock buff.(stupid)

Shortly after That the gun started messing up, jams Of all different kinds, and all sorts of probs.(never though to think this all started after i put the buffer in) I had my mags tuned, and replaced everything. New aftec, xtra long ejector, all new springs. Bought redding competiton dies.

My stupid decision caused me to not be competitive at all at Area 5 and 8, Michigan sectional, and generally just struggle shooting in general.

Well last week my shooting buddy said hey"ever think it might beur shock buff"? Well needless to say i took it out, and the gun runs like it is brand new again.Thx Eric

Adam

P.S. dont use a shock buff in ur open gun lol.

Edited by Tactical Timmy

I run a Trubor in 9mm major, i had it tuned by Dawson , and upgraded by my gunsmith.Gun ran perfectly for a year.

Then this spring i decided to add a shock buff.(stupid)

Shortly after That the gun started messing up, jams Of all different kinds, and all sorts of probs.(never though to think this all started after i put the buffer in) I had my mags tuned, and replaced everything. New aftec, xtra long ejector, all new springs. Bought redding competiton dies.

My stupid decision caused me to not be competitive at all at Area 5 and 8, Michigan sectional, and generally just struggle shooting in general.

Well last week my shooting buddy said hey"ever think it might beur shock buff"? Well needless to say i took it out, and the gun runs like it is brand new again.Thx Eric

Adam

P.S. dont use a shock buff in ur open gun lol.

Glad you figured it out... some smith use them in their guns and if the gun is setup for it it will run fine. Other guns don't tolerate them without becoming a jam-o-matic./

Glad you figured it out, I've never used a shock buff but I'm interested in knowing why it would cause it to jam? I guess it was slowing the slide down too much?

Darren

I am not sure of all the reasons, but I have been bit by the "shok buff" also. My open gun runs perfect with a shok buff.

My limited gun is another story. My smith said "cut a half to one coil off the spring" and you should be good to go. I was having random problems with my limited and took out the shok buff and went to a brand new spring 1lb heavier. Gun runs great. I "thought" my problem was my thumb slowing down the slide. I put the shok buff spring and shok buff in and noticed the slide would just barely allow the slide lock to engage. Hmmmm, I ended up cutting four coils off the spring and still the same problem. I put the new full length spring back in and the slide went completely back.

I know you have to watch for "coil bind" when you install a shok buff, but beyond that reason I have no clue as to why my limited gun does not like shok buffs. As some posters have said "some guns like'em and some don't" I guess. My guns were made by the same smith, but have different barrels. So, go figure.

Glad you figured it out, I've never used a shock buff but I'm interested in knowing why it would cause it to jam? I guess it was slowing the slide down too much?

Darren

I am not sure of all the reasons, but I have been bit by the "shok buff" also. My open gun runs perfect with a shok buff.

My limited gun is another story. My smith said "cut a half to one coil off the spring" and you should be good to go. I was having random problems with my limited and took out the shok buff and went to a brand new spring 1lb heavier. Gun runs great. I "thought" my problem was my thumb slowing down the slide. I put the shok buff spring and shok buff in and noticed the slide would just barely allow the slide lock to engage. Hmmmm, I ended up cutting four coils off the spring and still the same problem. I put the new full length spring back in and the slide went completely back.

I know you have to watch for "coil bind" when you install a shok buff, but beyond that reason I have no clue as to why my limited gun does not like shok buffs. As some posters have said "some guns like'em and some don't" I guess. My guns were made by the same smith, but have different barrels. So, go figure.

In an S_I (2011), if you remove the reverse recoil spring plug, then place it gently in a vise, you can install the guide rod with spring in place and then pull it down. This will be the definitive test for "coil bind". It will show whether the spring is able to compress in the available space. Since the shock buffer is installed outside of the spring plug and not inside it will not affect the space available for compression. In other 1911 styles you can make the same test by just pulling the guide rod forward until the guide rod head touches the slide's 'plug tunnel's face. If there is a space showing and you see some coils touching together and the face not touching the guide rod's head (or the buffer), then you do have "coil bind"

On the other hand, the shock buffer will limit the slide's total cycling space, shortening it. This will also change the relationship in timing as to when the ejector will contact the case during extraction from the chamber. It has been shown that some guns, by their actual set-up, will require the longer/normal cycling set-up afforded by not limiting it with a buffer. Some people will use thicker or multiple shock buffs to shorten the cycling time to where the slide stop cannot engage, and experience no malfunctions while others do. There are some details that must be addressed on your gun's cycling-timing to correct this malfunctions, if you have them,e and wish to still use these shock buffs. There can be benefits from the use of shock buffs ... if there are no interferences. If you have interferences, but still wish (for your own reasons) to use them, then ship it to a 'smith who can address the issue and make it run.

I run buffs in all of my 1911/2011 based guns and have had to learn how to use them. Venry has covered it all pretty well. I will add, though, that you should install the buff on the guide rod and be sure that it is not wider than the guide rod head as it may interfere with the inside of the slide. I use mostly wilsons now and usually have to trim the edges a bit with a sharp razor knife.

Darren

Darren,

I think Radical Precision is right. The buffer was wide enough that it was causing the gun to short stroke a little, just enough to cause the issue.