Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Snow in August

RacerX1166

Last Sunday, we got hit with one of the the worst rain storms I've ever been through. Torrential downpour with super high winds (that dropped visibility to zero for periods of time), then the hail came. Granted it was only marble sized but there was a LOT of it.

What made it particularly annoying is that I had just gotten done putting in a whole new set of flower beds for the wife the week before. The combination of hail and wind killed most of the new plants and blew so much debris into the beds that we basically rebuilt everything today. Nothing like having to do that kind of work twice.

Thought I'd share some of the pics. Remember, these were taken last Sunday. My son is in the front yard in his bathing suit since he was water skiing two hours before the storm hit. Note the debris on the side of the house that was blown in.

Ugh, collapsing now.... :yawn:

post-6182-1218939455_thumb.jpg

post-6182-1218939491_thumb.jpg

Wow, that's a lot of damage. Hope you're buddies with your insurance guy!

We've had record low temps here in CO this week. I walked outside the other day and could hear the proverbial "freight train" sounds approaching. Thankfully we didn't have that kind of damage though.

Get back to waterskiing :P

Yes, the low temps in Colorado were surprising as hell. But so were the past three 100-degree days (and the previous two 90-somethings) here in the Willamette Valley!! It was a good 10 degrees hotter elsewhere here in Oregon while we roasted at 100, too. Miserable. And when the wind quits here, you KNOW you're really in for it! Miserable. :wacko:

But I am quick to note that there were some storms goin' on elsewhere in the U.S. that were just a bit breathtaking..... :o

Wow, that's a lot of damage. Hope you're buddies with your insurance guy!

DRIFT: You typically won't see damage from marble sized hail in shingles or siding, unless both are quite old and/or brittle. You may see it in soft, unsupported metals like gutters or roof vents, but it won't reduce the useful life of either. Golfball (1.75") hail is the starting point for damage composition (read: asphalt) roofing and vinyl siding in good condition. But, if in doubt, give your insurer a call - that's why you pay premiums.