Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

OEF/OIF

SA Friday

I was thinking (yep, it hurt) about sharing pics of some of the stuff I photograph while in Southern Iraq in my range diary. The more I thought about it, the better idea seemed to be a thread in the gallery instead. I know a few that might want to see at least some of what I've photographed while here. Then I started thinking about a couple of the other shooters I know are over here (those lucky bastards up in Baghdad even started a USPSA club....). I thought they might want in on the thread too. So, here it is. Post what you see, but keep it at the PGish level; no blood, no guts, NO CLASSIFIED stuff in the background... You get it. There is a lot more here that is never talked about in the news. There are images in all of us from this place that are very difficult to relay when we get back home - not the horrorific stuff that the news loves to play over and over again, but atmospherics that never are really explained in the BS movies or the BS news.

So, to start off this shindig, I'll pick a really cool bit of history for everyone to see. So, who went to bible study and acutally listened???? What was the name of the city that Abraham lived in and where it's speculated he was going to sacrifice his son to God? I have a pretty good idea what the answer is.

post-7549-1218475750_thumb.jpg

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Abraham lived in the city of Ur. The remains in the picture are the ruins of the palace in the city of Ur and the obilisk in the distance is the Ziggarat. The remains of Abrahams house and village are just to the west of where this picture was taken. There are also Tomb ruins within this historical area, and writings on the walls of the tombs that predates the Jewish and Arabic languages. All of these ruins are acutally located on the base. We took over an old Iraqi air base, this one, Tallil AB and made it a USAF base and Army post. I find it ironic that Saddam decided to build one of his largest air bases right smack dab next to one of the most historical sites in the world. A site that was significant to Jews, Muslims, and Christians alike...

here are (sort-of) panoramic shots from the Dowlat Shaw district center , Northern Laghman Province , Afghanistan

with a young (high school age) Afghanistan National Police officer in the foreground.

post-1307-1218521391_thumb.jpg

post-1307-1218521507_thumb.jpg

Edited by Mark Perez

yours truly on a hilltop, same province.

I swear everytime we did a dismounted patrol, it was uphill!

Now that's what I'm talking about. You don't see stuff like that on the news about Afghanistan. When I look at your pictures, I relate it to the CO Rockies. They look very familiar (not the mud houses thought...). Nice pics.

Here's a pic of my partner and I at one of the local villages. Good people from one of the smaller nearby tribes. It was a tad bright out during the picture as you can see from the glare off of my recently shaved head.

post-7549-1218525873_thumb.jpg

heading back South after the district center visit.

you can see the lead most humvee waiting for the #1 truck to go thru a REAL narrow section of the road.

We had to ride the wall on the left side of the truck, otherwise the road would fail and a roll over resulted. Not good (the previous unit lost 2 soldiers to rollovers and drowning).

post-1307-1218552635_thumb.jpg

Edited by Mark Perez

Typical corner market scene in Kabul.

scene1.jpg

Another market scene. I was shocked at how popular watermelon is over there. I was also surprised at the sheer variety of sodas available over there. Coke I can understand . . . coke sales reps will probably find alien lifeforms and set up shop before NASA discovers them. But Mountain Dew???

scene2.jpg

There's a fortune to be made in recycling steel from dead Russian tanks.

tank.jpg

This is closer to the river and irrigated for the palm trees. There used to be over 40 million palm trees in southern Iraq. Now there is only about 8 million. The big tan colored clumps hanging off at the top are dates, and are a cash crop here. Saddam dammed the Euphrates and killed off most of the trees. He almost wiped out the marsh dwellers down river, a 7,000 year old unchanged culture. That marsh area is hypothesized to be the no-crap Garden-of-Eden from the bible.

post-7549-1218558463_thumb.jpg

So, to start off this shindig, I'll pick a really cool bit of history for everyone to see. So, who went to bible study and acutally listened???? What was the name of the city that Abraham lived in and where it's speculated he was going to sacrifice his son to God? I have a pretty good idea what the answer is.

He is a pic of the Zuggy of Ur taken from my point of view.

Zuggy_2.sized.jpg

Rolling off the perch headed into Baghdad.

hurk_cockpit.sized.jpg

The parking ramp at Kabul.

Kabul_Ramp.sized.jpg

Getting close to the rocks prior to an airdrop in Afghanistan.

OEF_LL2.sized.jpg