Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

2008 Masters

pbc44

• 2 weeks later...

Howdy,

It is still as much fun as ever.

Here is a picture of theshooters in the top 16 shoot off. top16.jpgMrmetalweld is on the far left. If there had been a top two shoot off he and Doug K would have had to face off.

The fourth fellow from the left is Richard Radel Jr.(That may be spelled wrong) This years Sportsman champ. Steve Thorton high revolver and Frank Glenn top senor and L/E

The fellow cut off on the far right is Vic Buccat. Sorry Vic, I take pictures like I shoot.

I had made four Masters in the early 90's and just returned this year. It is a fun and challenging match

Come join us next year!

Mike

Edited by mstuhr

• 4 months later...

You've got that right Mike, it is a fun match. We bring our kids and lawn chairs and everyone has a good time. I shot it a couple of years in the early '90's as well, and it's much more laid back than it was then. I encourage anyone that shot it years ago to come back, give it another shot. Each year we gain a few shooters, either those coming back or new shooters introduced by the die hards, lol. The match is still sponsored by Smith and Wesson, and a few others. As participation grows, so will the prize table. But, if we all only shot matches for the profit, we'd mostly all starve! Bring your guns and shoot with us this year! So you don't have a long range pistol? 2 years ago, one shooter( who I shall not name) shot the long range with a 1911! And HIT 3 OF THE 6" TARGETS AT 200 METERS!!! Think about THAT! With open sights no less. He was laughing so hard, he couldn't get off the last shot! I only hit 3 with my stock XP and a scope!

Ya'll come, the match fee is reasonable and the weather is always wonderful!

Greg

I've not shot the match since Master 10. The course of fire is still pretty similar though. It's a 3 gun match. 3 pistols. .22 LR precision (Bullseye), centerfire action, and long range. They now have stock class, and open. I believe one optic is allowed for stock.

Precision is shot at 25 and 50 meters, with Biathalon targets used. Biathalon targets have a sliding plate to make for a 4.5 inch target and 1.77 inch target. Various time and sizes are shot at both distance. A total of 45 shots are fired. Yes, you do shoot the little targets at 50 meters. One hand only is allowed for shooting.

Action has 3 different target arrays. Each is shot 3 times, times accumalate for a total. There was one throwaway allowed. If you chose to take a throwaway, that time stood, good or bad.

Long range is shot from 75 to 200 meters. Target sizes are 6", 9" and 12". The strings are 5 targets each at 2 distances in 90 seconds, and 5 targets at the farther distance of the string in 60 seconds. Meaning, Standing postion is 75 and 100 meters, 5 shots at 75, and 5 at 100 meters, alternating the distances, in 90 seconds. Then, 5 shots at 100 meters in 60 seconds. If I remember correctly, the last 5 targets are 9" at 150 meters, standing.

It's an extremely challenging match.

OK, I'll try to NOT write a book, but when you're as passionate about a match as I am this one, it's difficult. In a nutshell, that's just about what it's like, a little bit of several different disciplines, Steel Challenge, Bullseye and Silhouette. But harder. How hard? Back when the match was fairly new, 2 shooters from the US Shooting team came up and were going to clean up on the Precision event, which is 1.77" and 4.5" targets, shot bullseye style(one handed) at distances of 25 and 50 meters, and at that time there were small targets at 50 meters(but no longer). Well, they both went away with their tails between their legs, both scoring less than 20 out of 45 targets on the precision event. After the match, the female shooter, in an interview, said that she had shot all over the world but had NEVER felt the kind of pressure to perform as she had at this match, lol.

The entire match is set up so that there is never a "perfect" score. There are two levels of competition, sportsman class, and professional class. There are 3 divisions, Stock, where you are allowed to have optics on 2 of 3 otherwise stock guns, Open, where just about anything goes, and revolver, a new catagory as of last year.

The "Handgun precision event" is shot one handed bullseye style. There are 3 stages, each having 3 banks of 5 targets, under times ranging from 10 seconds to 120 seconds to complete. There is one "Duel" stage that is fired with 5-3 second shooting times in this sequence 3 seconds to fire, 7 seconds down, 3 seconds to fire, 7 seconds down, 3 seconds to fire and so on. If memory serves me 40 is the highest score ever shot, feel free to correct me if that's not right anyone.

The "Handgun action event" consists of 3 shooting stages, each shot 3 times for a total of 45 steel plates down. You get one throw away run that you can use any time you feel you can better your time. The winning time is the lowest total of all strings, usually in the 24sec. area, for all 9 counted runs, lol.

The "Handgun long range event" is like the others, 3 stages, each consisting of 2 phases. The first stage is all shot standing. First phase is 10 shots, at alternating distances of 75 & 100 meters. Shoot a 75, shoot a 100, shoot a 75, so on. You must shoot a 75 before you engage a 100, and must shoot a 100 before coming back to 75, you have 90 seconds. The plates are 6" at 75 and 9" at 100. Second phase is 5-6" plates at staggered elevation at 100 meters in 60 seconds.

Stage 2, phase 1 is freestyle, 5-9" plates at 100 meters and 5-12" plates at 200 meters, shot alternately, 100,200,100,200 and so on in 90 seconds. Phase 2 is freestyle, 5-6" lollipops at 200 meters, in 60 seconds. Yes, that's 6" targets at 230yds with a pistol!

Stage 3 is a combo stage of freestyle and standing. Phase 1 is freestyle, 5-9" plates at 150 meters and 5-9" plates at 200, shot alternately in 90 seconds. Phase 2 is standing, 5-9" lollipops at 150 meters in 60 seconds. I believe that 40 or 41 is the highest score ever attained here as well. 6mm is the minimum caliber allowed in this event. And the gun must weigh no more than 6lbs.

So there you have it, the most difficult handgun match, overall, that there is(in my opinion). Hence the winner is declared "The Master". There are also rifle, shotgun and .22 rifle side matches that go on as well. It is a very laid back area, we leave our lawn chairs and blankets out all weekend and no one touches them. There is a shooters steak dinner on Saturday after the High 16 shootoff Saturday morning.

Back when this match started, it was LIMITED to 300 shooters, and you'd better get your entry in early. There were exibitors tents set up, flags and banners lined the drive up to the range. All the big names were there, ALL OF THEM. There was a big snafu back about '95 and the match almost went down, but the dedication of the few people who did not want to see it go away keeps it alive. We now are getting about 50 shooters, but the number grows every year. The Masters traditionally began on the first Wednesday in August and you shot one event each day, then the high 16 shootoff was on Saturday. Now the match begins on the first Thursday, with all shooting done in 2 days, then the High 16 shootoff and awards ceremony on Saturday. It is beautiful area, Hannibal, MO has plenty of stuff for the family to do and rooms are very reasonable. Ya'll come, you won't regret it or forget it

Edited by Flexmoney

• 2 weeks later...