Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What to buy?

h8dirt

I need to buy my 22 yo daughter a pistol. I am a Wilson 45, 1911 fan but wonder if she wouldn't be better off with something a bit smaller (but not less than 9mm). Any experience / suggestions?

Pistol for a new shooter and has to at least be 9mm........

Browning Highpower.... shoots nice and not a bad recoil either.

PARA-ORD makes a nice high cap Light Double Action (LDA) model in 9mm.

Either one would be a good choice for a new shooter.

I shoot the Grock 17 (used to shoot the 19 but the unit went to model 17) .

IMHO I don't like the Glock for new shooters.

The ease of disassembly is a plus and the ease of operation is also a plus but I have found with (And I'm not trying to be sexist here) new female shooters they just don't seem to like the Glock much.

My wife and my daughter ( Pretty good shots both of them) both do not like shooting the Glock.

Another shooter I was teaching shot it 2 times and then handed it t o me and said "Nope"

Something about the recoil and the "feel" of it they did not like.

Nothing against the Glock......except that its plastic.....and designed by a garbage can maker......and not a 1911....etc :D

Seriously I shoot it in matches but I prefer other weapons to the Glock.

Just my .02

JK

I need to buy my 22 yo daughter a pistol. I am a Wilson 45, 1911 fan but wonder if she wouldn't be better off with something a bit smaller (but not less than 9mm). Any experience / suggestions?

What is she going to use it for and how much experience shooting does she have? #1 consideration should be what fits her hand best. My wife is quite petite shoots a small .357 revolver great, can't stand the feel of my Glocks, and loves shooting my 1911s....go figure! R,

For a new female shooter, I have 3 suggestions for you to consider. First is the Kahr CW9 or P9. Slim and light and shoot well. Striker fired though. Second would be a good Taurus or S&W revolver. Just don't get the light ones. They are hard on new shooters. My third suggestion, short of a wonderful 1911, would be the Ruger SR9. Yes, they are having a recall, but at least they are willing to fix the problem and it does shoot good. Nothing is going to replace a good 1911 trigger, but there are alternatives we can live with.

What is she going to use it for and how much experience shooting does she have? #1 consideration should be what fits her hand best. My wife is quite petite shoots a small .357 revolver great, can't stand the feel of my Glocks, and loves shooting my 1911s....go figure! R,

One of my favorite pistols (for women) is the Sig P225 9mm. If she isn't going to compete with the thing, it would be great. DA/SA with a decocker. Single stack grip and Sig dependability. You can buy the used LE models from Sig dealers for about $350.00

If she wants to compete with her pistol, PLEASE DELETE MY POST!!

The "I need to buy" thing, what does it mean?

Is she taking up shooting as a hobby, ie. USPSA or IDPA?

Or is this Dad buying her "protection" because she is on here own somewhere far, far away? And realistically she is never going to practice or shoot it.

If it's for hobby, competition, get her a Glock 17, 19, or 34, or one of the CZ's either a 75B or SP-01, or a Springfield XD 5".

If it's for "protection" get a nice little 4"K-frame revolver like a Smith Model 66. It's shootable and not large. Shoot 38's for practice and keep .357's for the rest of the time.

Forget about the whole .45 thing.

The only person that can say what's right for her is----her. I'm assuming that she has

some shooting experience and some idea of what she does and doesn't like? Take her to

the range/gunshop/gunshow/wherever. Get her hands on several different guns. GENTLY

guide her toward something appropriate for whatever the use is. But the final decision

needs to be hers.

Bill

I really don't get the whole gender issue that comes up when discussing service type handguns or why there is such a thing as "top lady shooter" and such, other than there are usually more male shooters. Guys we ain't talkin .454 Casull here. I wouldn't tell her any different than if you were choosing a gun for yourself.

If you are a Wilson guy, Wilson makes a 3.6 inch barrel (Sentinel) and 4.0 barrel (Professional and Compact) all are available in 9 mm. They can come with an officer's size frame/grip as well, if her hands a re a bit smaller. Go to the website and look at the various combinations. The Wilson 9 mms shoot very nice too.

Springfield EMP is also a nice smaller 9 mm with a 1911 type frame.

Eric