Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Upside Down Primer

bruce282

Big question is when you punch the primer out , would you reuse it? :roflol:

Where's Jack when you need him with his stories of re-using the 'slightly cracked' 45 cases at the range to save a few $???

I can't believe I saw this. I managed to flip one last night, eased it out with a single-stage and after looking at it found only the slightest of a mark from the decapping pin. I just used the single stage to re-prime it, marked the case so I'll recognize it and I'll let you know if it lights after next range trip. :roflol:

What Fireant said.

For cryin' out loud, don't even think about it. Toss it.

If you absolutely need a cheap adrenalin rush, just toss a live primer (or several) on the carpet and shove a running vacuum cleaner over it (them). That should take care of your risk-taking thrill needs. Never mind this poking upside-down primers with your press. Acck. :surprise:

Turn in your man card ....oh wait you don't have one.................. Did any of you ever have a cap gun???? I cannot believer the trepidation of this primer removal thread...................... You want soiling back in the late 80 Federal had some super sensitive primers get loose and I had one detonate in the crimp die. Get back with me when you can top that. thank the reloading gods for solid oak 2X8s in the ceiling of the basement. Someday you will wish you had that one upside down primer

If you think that primer is scary you should have a fail to ignite on a 10 set pond blow with ammonia nitrate. Now go grow up those loaded guns we run around with can blow a hole in your foot!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by johnhurd

Done that several times.

Anytime I have an upside down primer, I pull the bullet, collect powder and, veeery gently deprime brass on a single stage press.

Reused primers (CCI small pistol) have always gone bang without a hiccup.

Risk assessment time, Bruce. You do what you will. I throw mine away. Not worth having that ONE that goes off while pushing it out.

John, you are way too comfortable with explosives. :wacko: Sure you are not Army EOD?

OK risk reward time.

Brass cost = free

Primer cost = 2.3 cents

Having a WMPP blow up in your face when loading .44 Magnum in a Lee hand loader 40 years ago = Hard to forget.

They're in the coffee can with the light primer strike, high primers etc.

Ah the memories of USMC Combat Engineer School in that fun summer of 1969. Blowing up things with TNT, Dynamite, and the best of all C4. Planting a field of training "Bouncing Betties" right between the bleachers and mess hall and then watching a class of butter bars "blow" themselves up right after an hour long class on what to be on the lookout for when they hit Nam. Creating tank traps by blowing the tops off of trees in a crisscross pattern, then getting to blow up the tank traps. Booby trapping everything in sight in the "free fire zone" and maybe once or twice having the instructor miss it.

Thanks for the memories guys.

Bruce

If you don't disassemble the upside-down-primed rounds, for petes sake, keep them somewhere safe. I had one on a bench in my shop when I decided to lop a few inches off a shelf bracket with an angle-grinder. One spark hit it just right and created one heck of a bang that you don't want to hear while angle grinding in a full shop.... :surprise:

oh good lord, have any of you actually set off a primer outside of case? it goes, "Pop". that's it. depriming an upside primer is about as dangerous as breathing. Primers going off in a press and setting off an entire tube are a totally different beast and are not related at all to what you are asking. Of course wear safety glasses, as worst case, a small piece of the anvil "could" bounce off of your bench and into your eye, if it went off, which it won't.

if you've never seen or heard a primer go off, with no resistance from being in a case properly, put one in a coffee can, throw some lighter fluid in, toss in a lit match and listen. it's really not that big of a deal.

Now 10,000 primers in a coffee can covered in gas, that's a little more exciting.