Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Glock malfunction help needed

Glshooter

Ok so I have tried everything I can think of. I have a Glock 17 that once ran flawlessly but now fails to go into battery 2-3 times per match. I'm using factory ammo that I have used forever. Stock recoil spring, it does it with different magazines, and it does it when the gun is dirty and right after I clean it. The only thing not stock is a reduced striker spring (changed that and it still does it), and a fluff and buff of the internals that was done a long time ago. What else do I need to check. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks

Ok so I have tried everything I can think of. I have a Glock 17 that once ran flawlessly but now fails to go into battery 2-3 times per match. I'm using factory ammo that I have used forever. Stock recoil spring, it does it with different magazines, and it does it when the gun is dirty and right after I clean it. The only thing not stock is a reduced striker spring (changed that and it still does it), and a fluff and buff of the internals that was done a long time ago. What else do I need to check. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks

How old/how many rounds on the recoil spring? Swap it out as, based on what you're stating, it is the most likely culprit IMO.

Hello Glshooter,

Question for you. How many rounds have you fired in this gun? Recoil springs with factory ammo can start getting a bit squishy at 15-20K rounds. Also, please check for port-insertion-itis :goof: I know I've done it. You know what I mean? The front sight or the top if slide brushes the top of a port. That can cause the hick-up you have described.

Jim

Here's a test: With an EMPTY gun, pull the trigger. While still holding the trigger to the rear, point the muzzle straight up, pull the slide back, then slowly ease the slide forward with your weak hand. If the slide stops moving before it's in battery, slowly rotate the gun toward the horizontal. If the slide hasn't gone into battery by the time the gun is at 45 degrees the recoil spring needs replacement. Actually, I'd replace it if it doesn't go into battery while vertical. Glock recommends replacing the recoil spring every 4 or 5,000 rounds.

Couple other things. Check the condition of the trigger pin. A bent one can cause intermittent failures. A broken one stops the gun all together. Once that's checked, have someone function fire the gun with a hundred rounds of your preferred ammo. Really ring it out. Simulate match cadence. Watch closely from the left side of the gun. It's best to have a buddy who shoots Glocks too. Obviously we looking for driver error. :)

Just to confirm. This is an OEM stock barrel? And, did the last failure(s) occur while shooting through a port?

I only ask because a G17 that acts likes this with stock everything and factory ammo is a very very rare bird indeed.

Jim

regular mags, factory barrel. Not shooting through a port. I have had port-insertion-itis myself before and even knocked off a front sight. But not this time. It only happens intermittently and is only a recent issue as I have said. I will check the things you guys have said and let you know. Thanks again for the advice.

Your problem is a real puzzler...and I was intending to post that I'm extremely eager to see if you find the solution. One question, though. I just noticed you are from Connecticut. Are you using 10 round Glock mags by any chance.

I bought six of 'em a couple of years ago from Pharaoh Bender. I only use 'em for practice and I use them a lot. In a nutshell, I and many others feel they simply are more prone to malfunction issues than the normal high capacity Glock mags. They can create the same sort of problems you're having. When those issues appear, I change out the mag springs with OEM. The 10 rounders seem very sensitive to recoil spring sack: I change mine out every year. They are also sensitive as they wear, it appears at least to me, to the type of follower as far as function problems. I have a mix of older and new followers and mine now function OK 98% of the time with fresher springs. I NEVER have issues with the hi-caps, which I download to 10 (or 11) and use only for matches.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Curtis

Edited by BayouSlide

Your problem is a real puzzler...and I was intending to post that I'm extremely eager to see if you find the solution. One question, though. I just noticed you are from Connecticut. Are you using 10 round Glock mags by any chance.

I bought six of 'em a couple of years ago from Pharaoh Bender. I only use 'em for practice and I use them a lot. In a nutshell, I and many others feel they simply are more prone to malfunction issues than the normal high capacity Glock mags. They can create the same sort of problems you're having. When those issues appear, I change out the mag springs with OEM. The 10 rounders seem very sensitive to recoil spring sack: I change mine out every year. They are also sensitive as they wear, it appears at least to me, to the type of follower as far as function problems. I have a mix of older and new followers and mine now function OK 98% of the time with fresher springs. I NEVER have issues with the hi-caps, which I download to 10 (or 11) and use only for matches.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Curtis

Good post Curtis.

All valid points to be considered.

Jim

• 3 weeks later...

Just to update for the guys who were curious what the problem was. I had switched to my G34 for a while because I couldn't figure out why the 17 was malfunctioning. Well I took the 17 completely apart and noticed the little wire spring part on the slide stop lever was bent a little bit. I compared it with a spare I had and it was bent more at an angle. So I swapped the old one for a new one and used it at the New England regional IDPA match yesterday. Zero malfunctions through 14 stages. I guess that was it. I wonder if the slide stop was somehow riding on the slide and impeding its travel? Anyway, thanks for all the help. You guys are why this forum is the best.