Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dillon Super 1050 won't feed brass onto shell plate

I have a Super 1050 and for the longest time my brass is hanging up on my shellplate when it is coming from the casefeeder. I'm running the shellplate fairly loose right now and tried running it tight. Seems to be a little better running loose but it seems like the right side of the case rim (38 Super) doesn't slide into the groove and it either jams up so I need to press on the brass to seat it or pops out of the shellplate, or just pops out completely. This is really annoying and is slowing my progress of reloading 100%. Another shooting buddy of mine suggested buying a .223 shellplate and that will fix this problem? (Thanks Paul) Anyone else had this same problem and what did you do to fix it?

Thanks,

Pete :cheers:

I have a Super 1050 and for the longest time my brass is hanging up on my shellplate when it is coming from the casefeeder. I'm running the shellplate fairly loose right now and tried running it tight. Seems to be a little better running loose but it seems like the right side of the case rim (38 Super) doesn't slide into the groove and it either jams up so I need to press on the brass to seat it or pops out of the shellplate, or just pops out completely. This is really annoying and is slowing my progress of reloading 100%. Another shooting buddy of mine suggested buying a .223 shellplate and that will fix this problem? (Thanks Paul) Anyone else had this same problem and what did you do to fix it?

Thanks,

Pete :cheers:

I have been having this problem to a small degree since I bought mine new a year ago :( I would love to know how to fix this as well.

Mine is set up for 38SC as well and I have the .223 shell plate. The problem for me seems to be Starline Brass. About 20% of the cases are too thick in the rim. Armscor brass is more consistent and I've never had the problem with them.

I was having a similar problem with 9mm.

I found that as the case drops down to the feed ramp it bounces and if you are a little quick on the pull of the handle it'll jam, bounce out.

Try slowing down a tad and see if that helps.

Pete,

The .223 shell plate is for .38SC/TJ, your .38 Super won't fit in it. I tried resizing some of Matt's Super in my press set up for SC and it wouldn't go in the shell plate at all.

Is it new brass and shot brass? Could that bulging you get make a difference?

I would check the brass and make sure the ones that wont fit arent buggered up. Put them in every station one by one on the shellplate. If you have the swager misadjusted you may have cracked the shellplate from the bottom and that will mess up the opening on the shellplate. Got one of those.... :rolleyes:

If the shellplate is ok, you may want to try clipping a coil or so off the shell feeder that pushes them into the shellplate on the bottom and see if that helps. The feeder should be smooth as silk, and if it is not, I would get some high grit paper and polish it up so it slides better.

Good luck,

DougC

The press is jamming on both new and shot brass. It seems that the timing is off or something. The bulge that you're referring to Steve isn't the issue. I'm not really sure what's going on with that. I just switched powder in my bullets and it could be a sign of over pressure. I need to do a little tesing with the new loading combo.

Pete

PistolPete,

Be sure you are using a #5 shellplate and #3 locator buttons for 38 Super (not 38 SuperComp).

The case feed plunger should be the Small one.

Push down on the edge of the shellplate at the bullet seating station. If it feels springy, then the shellplate lock ring is too loose. :ph34r:

Mine is set up for 38SC as well and I have the .223 shell plate. The problem for me seems to be Starline Brass. About 20% of the cases are too thick in the rim. Armscor brass is more consistent and I've never had the problem with them.

I am running Starline 38SC as well and have never been able to measure a dimensional difference in the case heads of those that jam. I find that Armscore RL is good strong brass but the primer pockets are off enough on some that the primer wont seat without crusshing on one side unless I rotate the case on the shellplate a bit. Not a huge percentage of fails but it is just enough to slow me down more than it is worth. In this case, I can measure the difference with a caliper.

I have this happen every now and then on one particular 1050. (It never happens on the other ones.) Whether I'm loading 9mm or 38SC (with the correct factory recommended shell plate and locator buttons) I'll get 1 to 3 cases in 500 that will not go into the shellplate and pop out. I'll be in my rhythm and I'll crush the case and bend a decapping pin.

All of my 1050's are adjusted the same and when I load these calibers on a different machine, it never happens. Suffice to say that the one I have this issue with is used the least.

PistolPete,

Be sure you are using a #5 shellplate and #3 locator buttons for 38 Super (not 38 SuperComp).

The case feed plunger should be the Small one.

Push down on the edge of the shellplate at the bullet seating station. If it feels springy, then the shellplate lock ring is too loose. :ph34r:

I am using the #5 shellplate and #3 locator buttons. When you're referring to the case feed plunger are you referring to the green one as the "small one?" The shellplate is springy at the bullet seating station. I guess I need to tighten the shellplate. How tight do I want this thing? I run my 650 tight and it never gives me issues. How tight should this be?

The green piece is the plastic case feed adapter, which guides the case into the metal slide. This metal

slide is the case feed plunger, and is what actually puts the case into the shellplate. Tighten the shellplate lock

ring down until it stops, then back it up about 1/8th to 1/4 turn. Then snug the screws to lock the white

plastic wedges in place.