Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What Loading Manual Would You Recommend?

I have an old green manual, I don't even recall who printed it but it is old and missing pages. Want to get a manual that has LOTS of data on rofle and pistol cartridges. ALSO, a good book on casting bullets. Your help is appreciated.

JZ

I've got the Speer,Lyman,Lee,Hodgden/Winchester,and Sierra manual.

I just bough the Hornady 7th edition since I load alot of Hornady bullets and it is one of the best so far.

But you will definitely find that you need more than one.

Speer recently came out with #14, and it's a good one. I've also recently bought the newest versions of the Sierra and Hornady manuals. It's good to go through them and see how much of the things we thought were inviolate have changed. ;)

Thanks guys,

I bought the Hornady 7th edition last night and realize you are right in that I will need more than one. What I'm looking for is one that will have up-to-date data for the .243 WSSM cartridge as well as all my other calibers .308, 9mm, 10mm, .40, .38spl, .44spl, and .45.

Once again, thanks.

JZ

Start with the Lyman, I think it will have everything you are looking for to start.

I own several reloading manuals, which do contain some good info. However, I find myself getting most my reloading data from the net. Most powder companies if not all publish reloading data free on the net. And of course you can research other places and find recipes from other shooters, of course check to makes sure they are safe. Does one even need a reloading manual anymore for reloading data? I know I haven’t used my for sometime now, anyone else find this to be true?

For starting I got one of the loadbooks "one book one cartridge" books. I agree there is a lot of info on the 'net for the powder makers. But I found it interesting to compare various bullet and powder makers suggestions for basically the same thing. And a step beyond that, to find what was similar.

Maybe it's just being new, but I wasn't impressed with Lyman's manual.

While I use the Speer manual almost exclusively to look up initial load data, most of my reloading data comes from the internet. Most all powder manufacturers have data posted online. You will also see a lot of good "tested" load data coming from here, but I would start with a manual and reference the info in there with what is displayed here (along with some other places).

I use my Speer manual more than the other manuals I have (Nosler, Sierra). I also use loadbooks from the powder manufacturers a lot.

While I use the Speer manual almost exclusively to look up initial load data, most of my reloading data comes from the internet. Most all powder manufacturers have data posted online. You will also see a lot of good "tested" load data coming from here, but I would start with a manual and reference the info in there with what is displayed here (along with some other places).

If you are looking for information on reloading (as opposed to reloading data), get a copy of "The ABC's of Reloading" by Bill Chevalier. Current version is the 8th edition (I think).

Another good book with a lot of detailed information is "Lee Modern Reloading" Manual, 2nd Edition. It's a bit dated but the information is pretty solid just the same.

Jimmy,

Just brought the Speer manual and I wish I had purchased the Lyman ( I will be ordering it tomorrow).

I would up at the local gunshop checking out loads for me and my son's .45s and the Lyman was what he used and had the info I needed.

The Speers is a nice book and a lot of info in the front about history and science of reloading and I find it VERY interesting but when it came to load information as a beginning reloader I felt it did not have enough info in there on one of the most popular cartridges for reloading...the .45 Auto.

Just my inexperienced .02.

JK