Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Traveling Through Illinois, How to pack pistols and what about high ca

I have permits from Texas, Penn, and New Hampshire. Still Illinois does not allow any conceal and carry.

So when I travel on 70 west across the state of Illinois, am I ok if pistols, ammo, and high cap mags are cased and locked in back of truck?

As best I can determine I violate no laws that way.

Any residents with clarification would be appreciated.

BB

Search or google Firearms Owners Protection Act (FOPA) or "safe passage", as I understand it it is legal as long it is legal where you live and where you are going. There are some thinks to watch out for in NY and NJ however.

NRA Link

http://www.nraila.org/GunLaws/Federal/Read.aspx?id=59

Edited by HoMiE

I called the IL Attorney General's office about this, they referred me to the state police. The state policeman that answered the phone first asked me why I was carrying a gun while on my vacation (I told him it's because I live in a free state where we can do such things). Anyways his advice was have the pistol in a locked case, ammo in a separate case, both inaccessible to the driver. He also told me if I were to get pulled over to NOT tell the office I have a gun as that would likely result in my car getting searched. YMMV, I'm not a lawyer, but that's what I was told.

I called the IL Attorney General's office about this, they . . . told me if I were to get pulled over to NOT tell the office I have a gun as that would likely result in my car getting searched. YMMV, I'm not a lawyer, but that's what I was told.

Actually, that is VERY good advice. Why?

1) You are following the law. Federal law. The Federal FOPA (firearms owners protection act) has protected people like you in all 50 states (AND D.C./ the district) since 1986 - so long as you keep going, stopping only for food & gas, & the guns are locked unloaded in the trunk or not accessible. IL law does NOT matter as its trumped by federal law. And,

2) By not making a big point of telling the officer "Hey - guess what? I've got guns in the car!" you are making life easy for BOTH you and the officer - plus a state officer of higher rank already told you not to make things complicated by informing the officer.

Again, you are following the law, correct? Correct. You are not a criminal, correct? Why even bring up the issue of guns since its apparently not required in IL? Just sign the speeding ticket & you can both be on your way, safe & legal.

Have a safe trip & best of luck at the match.

Regards,

D.

Edited by Carlos

I called the IL Attorney General's office about this, they . . . told me if I were to get pulled over to NOT tell the office I have a gun as that would likely result in my car getting searched. YMMV, I'm not a lawyer, but that's what I was told.

Actually, that is VERY good advice. Why?

1) You are following the law. Federal law. The Federal FOPA (firearms owners protection act) has protected people like you in all 50 states (AND D.C./ the district) since 1986 - so long as you keep going, stopping only for food & gas, & the guns are locked unloaded in the trunk or not accessible. IL law does NOT matter as its trumped by federal law. And,

2) By not making a big point of telling the officer "Hey - guess what? I've got guns in the car!" you are making life easy for BOTH you and the officer - plus a state officer of higher rank already told you not to make things complicated by informing the officer.

Again, you are following the law, correct? Correct. You are not a criminal, correct? Why even bring up the issue of guns since its apparently not required in IL? Just sign the speeding ticket & you can both be on your way, safe & legal.

Have a safe trip & best of luck at the match.

Regards,

From memory - you need to be traveling to or from a sporting event for it to be legal in ILL - everything locked and contained as previously stated. Stay totally out of Chicago/Cook County if you have any sense - FOPA means nothing up there. Illinois resident has to have a valid Firearms Identification Card issued by state of Ill to own a gun or to buy ammunition.

FOPA - nice but don't depend on it in those kind of states.

Obey all traffic laws, be polite.

D.