Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

70gr. bullets in a 1:9 barrel?

Revopop

My girlfriend's dad is a certifiable gun nut and reloader who has three of just about everything. I got an AR recently, and I called to ask him which dies I should get to load .223. He said, "Well, I've got an RCBS 2 die set, a gunny sack full of brass, and 300 bullets I can give you. Got 'em for a Mini 14 I never even shot."

Turns out the bullets are Hornady 70gr. bullets. I'm told the heavier bullets don't do real well in rifles like mine with a 1:9" twist. Should I give it a try, or just trade them for some 55gr. bullets?

My purpose for this rifle is plinking and just cause I freakin' wanted one, so I don't require extreme accuracy or anything.

As far as I know Hornady don't make a 70gr, however they do make a 68gr HPBT that is so similar to the Sierra 69gr match that I use them when I have no Sierra available. They should be fine in the 1:9 barrels.

I use 23.5gr Benchmark and load as close to the rifling as the magazine allows.

My Armalite 20" has a 1:9 barrel and it absolutely eats up the Hornady 75gr bullets. Well under 1MOA results at 300 yards with A2 sights. I load my 75gr rounds with VV540.

I think the 1:9 works just fine with the heavier bullets as long as you keep the velocities high.

Have him load them up 1x9 varies from one barrel to the next. If yours is closer to 1x8 it'll probably stabilize them just fine. Even if they don't stabilize it'll be down range and won't hurt your gun.

Hornady does make a 70 grain .22 caliber bullet. The diameter is .227, which is for the 22 Savage Hi Power, an obsolete cartridge that was used in the model 99 lever action.

Measure the bullet diameter with a micrometer, not a cheap caliper. Do not load .227 diameter bullets in .223 ammo.

https://www.hornady.com/shop/?ps_session=67...006a6492f8c7113

Edited by Dan Sierpina

Hornady does make a 70 grain .22 caliber bullet. The diameter is .227, which is for the 22 Savage Hi Power, an obsolete cartridge that was used in the model 99 lever action.

Measure the bullet diameter with a micrometer, not a cheap caliper. Do not load .227 diameter bullets in .223 ammo.

https://www.hornady.com/shop/?ps_session=67...006a6492f8c7113

Good point. I only looked in .224" bullets. Never thought anyone would load them or supply them for 223Rem.

Make sure you check the diameter of those things before you load them.

22Hi Power is far from obsolete. Norma and Sellier/Bellot still make ammo, I think Lapua still do as well. I sell quite a lot of that stuff.

Glockopop, you lucky guy. Maybe you should think about getting serious with her. It sound like a lot of side benefits and its also easier getting along with Dad if you have this hobby in common. UNLESS you get really lucky and find a girl who owns a gun store or liquor store.

It's actually better than if she owned her own gun store. She'd be a great bullseye shooter, but she just isn't that interested. Consequently, my hobby's mine, and I get to use the Ruger 22/45 and Browning Hi-Power he gave her as much as I want. I've also found that he's a great resource for handloading tips. He loves reloading probably even more than actually shooting. He loads all kinds of Wildcat cartidges like the 6.5JDJ and .375JDJ, reforms brass, and all kinds of stuff like that.

I just went and looked. They are actually Speer. .224 Semi-Spitzer.

Can anybody recommend a good powder to try out? I've heard good things about H335, and that's what I was planning to get, but TAC and X-Terminator are both readily available locally and I hear good stuff about those as well. I know I might not find a powder that's good for 70gr. and 55gr. loads, but if someone could point me in the right direction that'd be great.

FWIW, that Speer 70 gr bullet is a sho nuff deer slayer (on Texas deer anyway)

Unfortunately, no deerslaying with rifles in Iowa. There are a few southern counties where you can for short periods of deer season, but it has to be .243 or bigger. We have to stick to shotgun slugs, handguns, and muzzleloaders.

Dan Sierpina

Use H335 for up to 55 grain bullets. If you want to use those 70 grain bullets, Varget or

Reloader 15 handle that weight very nicely. I've not tried any of the Ramshot powders.

I believe that a rifle's inherent characteristics are more indicative of

how it will accurately shoot as compared to its twist rate.(within reason!)

That said, my AR15 seem to like 77 g SMK over 55g...

It's a 1:9 twist like yours. (69g SMK with Varget 25.3g is its pet load)

Anyways....I've found Win 748 a great

powder when using heavier bullets, say from 70g on up.

I'm a die hard Varget fan...just a great

powder for all bullet weights and temperature changes.

Tried a bunch of other powders - H335, AA 2230 ...nothing except for Win 748

came close to consistently matching Varget for accuracy AND precision.

AND, Win 748 is cheaper by ~15%!! (Varget - $18.75, Win 748 - $16)

Pick up a lb of Varget...you'll be hooked!!!

good luck

docgary

Edited by docgary