Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Stuck Cases

ong45

I had a couple of stuck cases that i had to get out of the chamber with a squib rod and a hammer today. The load is 38 supercomp, 115 jhp with 8.2 grains of 7625. The gun was not very dirty and the extractor is in good shape ( it just slipped off and left a nasty mark on the rim ) Any ideas ? old brass or damaged chamber? With just a visual inspection nothing appears out of place in the chamber.

Thanks, James

James,

How hard was it to get the empty case out of the chamber? You said you had to use a squib rod and hammer? You should be able to just push the empty out so something is making the case stick. Is the case bulged? Stretched? How does it look compared to cases that ejected normally.

If you have some empties from previous batches of ammo try putting one of the empties into your chamber.

I think it something besides a bad extractor if you have to use that much force to get the case out of the chamber.

James ,

I had a simalar problem with a 9 open blaster ,

I had lightened the slide to much and the chamber was opening before the presure had droped enough to release the case in the normal manner. the end result was a ring around the wb of the case and a cracked slide.

I would start looking at things that have been changed since the gun ran previously.

Dont over look any thing. new spring, slide lightening,

diferent batch of components (lot of powder , new box of bullets, new cases ) messure and weigh the bullets make sure they are right does the powder look the same ???

I am fishing around maybe a small change has made a big difference?

The powder i am using is the same lot # and has worked fine for a couple of years. I will shoot some more and if it happens again i will isolate the offending pieces and see if it's the brass.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I always had that kind of problem, because I used very old and destructed cases (money reason). But some time I found that’s happened for the new bright cases too. Did you check size of the cases before you loaded, most of the problems was from the case pregnancy (bulging). Try to lower sizer-die a bit, if the problem still exist, grind the bell rim of the die and lower some more.

I would argue, as other posters already implied, that if the stuck case was removed with very light effort, it is clearly an extractor matter (maybe, for some reason that you can investigate, the extractor stepped over the brass rim); otherwise, if you really had to hammer down the squib rod to get the case out of the chamber, this is going to be a high-pressure issue: overcharging that round, anticipated opening of the gun, crack in the barrel can all be possible explainations, again you'll have to investigate each of them.

Another possible explaination is very dirty brass (I mean externally): upon firing, the high temperature "cookes" dirt glueing it to the chamber walls.

Good luck in the process of determining what's wrong.

• 5 months later...

Here's an update on the stuck case problem,

I rebarreled the gun with a scheumann 5 inch non hybrid. Still once in a great while it would stick. So i spoke to Will (scheumann) and he thought that my powders were on the fast side for 115's. I switched to 3n38 and 4 months later no problems.

James

I replaced it as a last resort. I gave it to a machinist friend to measure the chamber to see if anything is odd with the dimensions. Haven't heard back though.

Also Will Scheumann had suggested that the chamber might be eroded because of the high pressured involved with my load.

James