Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Ejector on STI 9mm Eagle bent, now broken...

boo radley

I have an STI Eagle 9mm that I use for steel, IDPA and general shooting. Bought the pistol new a few months ago.

However, during a match, about 500 rounds on the gun, I noticed the slide was very "sticky." After examination, I saw the ejector (which seems quite long - because it's 9mm?) was bent to the left, causing the slide to bind. Some very gentle prying with a knife straightened her, and I was good to go.

Another 500 rounds later, same thing happened. Slide got stickier and sticker, and again I noticed the ejecto was bent. This time, when I tried to bend it back, it snapped off.

Any particular suggestions on which ejector to buy? I see EGW, Brazos, SVI and STI again all make them. (Though I think the STI is MIM). I should tell whomever I order it from it's for a 9mm STI, and I'll get the right one? Order a 3/32 pin as well?

Next, why did this ejector get bent? From slide-lock reloads (all the time in IDPA)?

Thx

I bought the Brazos pre-tuned 9mm ejector. It's great and I highly recommend it. You will have to notch the front leg for the pin, but other than that, it's a drop in part and it's already adjusted to kick the brass out correctly.

I dropped it in my 9mm 2011 build (with a C-More) and the brass flies out nice and flat and doesn't hit the mount at all.

The magazine could have been hitting the ejector causing it to bend outwards, subsequent empty cases pushing against it would make it worse. When you get the new one, test all your mags to make sure they are not hitting the ejector. You can remove a small amount of metal from underneath if it does.

If you can, buy two ejectors that way if it happens again you can fix at the match and then try to determine the problem later.

Yes, your ejector got bent and broken from not being clearanced for the magazine and top round. Make sure the new one is clearanced right or it will happen again.

The Brazos is the friendliest 'do it yourself' ejector on the market.

The magazine could have been hitting the ejector causing it to bend outwards,

Bullseye. I have a 9mm STI Trojan and the stock MecGar mags would hit the elector if fully inserted. The pro at STI warned me to file the corner of the mags and the bottom corner of the ejector to stop this or it could break, like when you push the mag in hard to seat it.

Edited by bountyhunter

Thx all -- great; given that the pistol didn't even cost $2000, I guess I should expect such hiccups in parts and minor issues like bending the f*cking ejector when reloading. <grumble>

Anyway. Broken ejector came out easily enough when I drifted the pin that holds it in place. I see how it goes together and probably will order a spare, as well.

Thx all -- great; given that the pistol didn't even cost $2000, I guess I should expect such hiccups in parts and minor issues like bending the f*cking ejector when reloading. <grumble>

Anyway. Broken ejector came out easily enough when I drifted the pin that holds it in place. I see how it goes together and probably will order a spare, as well.

All of this can be prevented by purchasing a $49.99 pistol with clearances with enough slop to allow everything to work with no tuning.... :closedeyes:

All of this can be prevented by purchasing a $49.99 pistol with clearances with enough slop to allow everything to work with no tuning.... :closedeyes:

I would have sworn you paid $200 for that pistol. :)

There is no real need to pin the ejector. It is fully captured when the slide is on. This will make swapping them out far easier if the need should arise again. My limited gun is not pinned and it has never caused a problem.

I did find a problem in the open gun I just finnished. While the mag does not hit the ejector the top round really does. It was putting a groove in the brass and pushing up on the ejector making it rub in the slide. I beveled the offending corner to make it clear.

• 4 weeks later...

I ordered a 9mm Trojan a few months ago. During the match the slided failed to move forward after firing. I though my recoil spring broke. Turns out my ejector bent out to the left and bound up the slide. I was running 9 round mags and was sure that I didn't damage it by slamming a mag home. The ejector was simply bent too far for it to be an issue.

I sent the gun back to STI, and it turns out they installed the wrong ejector in it before it shipped. Maybe that was the issue? If they did it once, they could definetly do it again.

The answer to your original question is none . Dont buy any ejector send it back to STI or ask them to send you one to install. The answer to your grumble is also not to buy any ejector. The quick willingness to run out and buy or tune parts that should work from the factory is why they dont work from the factory.

The answer to your original question is none . Dont buy any ejector send it back to STI or ask them to send you one to install. The answer to your grumble is also not to buy any ejector. The quick willingness to run out and buy or tune parts that should work from the factory is why they dont work from the factory.

+1000

If the factory doesn't know that a product is having issues because the end user fixes it, they do not have a chance to fix their product line, because they are blissfully unaware of the flaw. That and return shipping on a bunch of defective units will add up quick, and they will take notice.