Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

6.8 or 6x45?

mwx40x40

Thinking of turning my Remington 600 in 222 into a light recoiling deer rifle for my kids. I have seen a lot of good data on the 6x45 in 80 to 85 grain bullets. I believe the 6.8 will work in this rifle also . Which do you think would make the better conversion and why?

I would go with whatever shoots the heaviest bullets, even consider 6.5 Grendel. WHY!!!! Nothing, Nothing takes the place of energy AND penetration on the target. You can get energy with more speed, and a lighter bullet, but you sacrifice penetration.

Granted with super premium bullets you can do some amazing things with light bullets, but the room for error is very small and you owe it to the animal to take them humanely as possible.

Trapr

The 6.8 will require opening the bolt face for the cartridge. Not a problem for the gunsmith assuming you don't want to go back to a 223 case head in the future, and it will add expense to the project.

I would lean to leaving the bolt face alone and going with the 6x45 or 6x47.

Guy

I'd leave the rifle alone and look for a used 243, 7/30 waters, or similar. By the time you buy a new barrel, and buy finish reamers, headspace guages, etc or pay a gunsmith, then odd ball dies etc etc, you'll be way over what a decent used or even some new basic rifles would cost.

I'd leave the rifle alone and look for a used 243, 7/30 waters, or similar. By the time you buy a new barrel, and buy finish reamers, headspace guages, etc or pay a gunsmith, then odd ball dies etc etc, you'll be way over what a decent used or even some new basic rifles would cost.

Joe4d, the more I think about the more I think that may be the right thing to do. I think I will sell rifle and by a Browning Micro A Bolt in 243.

If you really wanted to convert the rifle, 6.5 TCU would be the way to go. Heavier bullets available, and with the improved case, better velocity.

You would be better off to sell the 600 though. I'd put it on Gunbroker, the 600's are kind of collector pieces. You should get a better price selling it that way.

Sell a Remington 600!?!!?!? Blasphemy!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ;)

Seriously, how old are your kids? How tall? My brother-in-law for his 14th birthday, received a sweet little 6.5x55 mauser. It is light kicking and works very well on deer. At 59 he still uses the same rifle. In a modern version may I suggest a Remington Model 7 in .260 Remington. Fitted with Remingtons' new recoil pad it will not kick any harder than a .243 and can throw a much heavier bullet if desired. And you can hand load down to around 100 grains if you want. Just a thought.

Blessed Be

SharonAnne

If it's going to be used on deer I would say go with a 300 whisper. Recoil is very light even with the heaviest loads and the 30 cal bullet selection is pretty big. I am assuming range will be limited. You should be able to get a 125 grn bullet going about 2350fps or more.

If you get it made with a 1x8 twist barrel you can also shoot subsonic rounds and get a supressor and so on and so on.

The only downside would be you need to reload for it unless you like the Cor-Bon ammo.

Nick

I built a 6.8 AR with a 20" Douglas barrel and I've hunted with it quite a bit. I'm shooting a 110gr vmax at 2750fps. It does fine on deer and coyotes. It is a little explosive at close range. I think the 6.8 makes a fine deer rifle for the recoil shy, but shot placement is very important(as always). In a bolt rifle, you will have a wide variety of bullet types/weights to play with.