Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Major Manufacturer Sponsored Shooters

How many major manufacturer sponsored shooters are out there these days? Who are they? When I say "major manufacturer" I'm talking about Springfield, Colt, Para-Ordnance, etc. Not gunsmith or parts manufacturer sponsored folks.

I think:

Springfield: TGO

Para-Ordnance: Todd Jarrett

???

from the svi website

Team SV Infinity

Mark Agerholm Tawn Argeris Mike Auger Don Bednorz

Matthew Burkett Taran Butler Adam Carlson Kert Gaskill

Don Golembieski Joe Jackson Craig Keller Jake Kempton

Jimmy Reed Trevor Roe Butch Rupe Keith Sanderson

Bobby Spradlin Jody Taylor Terry Tichenor Dave Uchida

Let me rephrase; how many shooters are receiving full time sponsorship support from a major firearms manufacturer such that they do not have another job? How many people shoot for a living made from one gun manufacturer?

Springfield - Robbie Leatham

Tanfoglio - Eric Grauffel

Smith & Wesson - Jerry Miculek

Caspian - Piatt?

Para-Ordnance - Todd Jarrett

Good rephrase, because some confuse "sponsorship" with "free shirts" (like team SV prabably is).

Back in the 80's and early 90's, about half the Masters in the country were part of "Team Safariland"...which prob. amounted to a free uniform and maybe a match fee. Maybe former "Team Springfield/S&W" member BE can clarify.....(the whole sponsorship thing).

I think this is a very "gray" area as even the sponsored shooters "do" something else for money. I think that Todd's income is primarily from his classes. I doubt that anybody receives enough money from sponsorship to "do nothing" else for a living.

Leo

[Thread Drift Mode ON]

I know this wasn't the intent of the thread and is not meant to be critical in any way.

I've been "sponsored" exactly once. Shooting for score on someone else's nickel seems like the Holy Grail....right up until you actually do it. God bless the peapickin' little hearts of anybody who shoots with major sponship. It takes broad shoulders for that kind of responsibility.

When I was a kid, I was a heartbeat away from being fully sponsored (gun, entry fees, travel...ahhh, the good life!) . Then we got transferred to Japan.

I coulda been a contenda. B)

Not many exist anymore - I don't think.

Even in my day - the sponsorships were up for interpretation.

Still - the companies do what they can - posts from me some time ago voice my thoughts on the whole matter.

In terms of full time - I would say TGO, and Doug K are about it. Todd, Jerry B, even Jerry M. do other things to support their hobby. That's a best guess - so don't take it for fact.

And Eric you are correct - its a different ball game. Although I would say if things would have been a smidge different - I would have stayed. I loved my time "in the show" if you will. I cherish the responsibility and the memories as well as at least the thought that people thought I was something unique.

JB

I agree with Jack - most, if not all, do other things to survive. So, if you count teaching as one of those, are there any professional shooters at all? If you were making enough money from your sponsors to survive, would you want or need to teach? I know The Great One makes pretty decent money from his sponsors, but he still teaches a boatload of military classes. But I also know he likes to spend money, so maybe the "requirement" of being a full-time, sponsored shooter should include the shooters temperament. ;)

Until I retired, I considered myself a full-time, sponsored shooter because I chose to live on basically nothing, so I wouldn't have to work myself to death in order to survive.

be