Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

DONT! break your expander ball!

Generally, when loading straight-wall cases, the belling usually also acts as an expander, bringing the case ID to the proper diameter after sizing. It doesn't look like the expander ball in a rifle (bottleneck) die, but serves teh same purpose and has the same name. In 3-die sets, it's the expander plug in the #2 die. Some incorporate it into a powder drop as well.

Guy

Carbide expander ball, for expanding the neck on rifle cases. Little bitty ball thats between the decapping pin and the stem assembly. Broke it, accidently. I thought mabye they would send me a replacment too, no go.

$23 to replace. OUCH!!

Never heard of it. 650 shell plates are expensive, because they don't want to advance replace them, so you have to send your broken one in 1st ........ but what's an Expander Ball ? :huh:

That is strange? I just had the edge of one of the case positions on a .223 650 shell plate break off and they sent sent one to me without me having send back the old one?

Neal in AZ

Considering what it took just to explain what an expander ball is. I'm not sure I want to ask how you came to break yours in a vice.

:huh::unsure::blink:

But I can't help myself - how did you manage to break your expander ball in a vice?

Ken

Considering what it took just to explain what an expander ball is. I'm not sure I want to ask how you came to break yours in a vice.

:huh::unsure::blink:

But I can't help myself - how did you manage to break your expander ball in a vice?

Ken

Pure, and simple stupididy, to lazy to go get the correct wrench for the decapping pin flats, so i figured, clamp it (the decapping pin) in the vise and turn the top of the die. Well I clamped a little to high and SQUISH!!.

I hate it when I try and cut corners :wacko:

Well I guess you won't do THAT again. I keep a small collection of tools near the bench so I don't try a McGuyver routine like trying to use a pocket knife for a screwdriver etc. - I'm clumsy enough to hurt myself in the process (don't ask how I know). At least it WAS a replacable part.

:cheers:

Ken

It seems Dillon has specific parts they guarantee.. and some they don't.

I've been charged for parts that are 550 only.. and been given free ones for my 1050.

Never understood it - but, it doesn't bother me either. Whatever they tell me....