Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

ultrasonic cleaning

pdice

I use one with WD40 as a cleaner and it rules. I throw most of the components to my open gun in the cleaner for 10 minutes and then spray them down with Gun Scrubber. I still go back with cleaning patches and M-Pro7 but it cuts my cleaning time in half. It's nice esp. on my open guns because it actually gets into the comp and makes keeping it clean much easier. I hate cleaning my guns and go as long as I can between cleanings so this helps out a lot.

Pete

I've been toying with the idea of getting one of these. Brownells just came out with one, but it's 1600 bucks. I guess I'm wondering what the difference is between the 400 dollar model an the mucho expensive one. Anyone know?

Does anyone have any experience using an ultrasonic cleaner like this?

http://www.sonicsonline.com/personal-ultra...s-cleaning.html

I'm wondering how helpful it might be, especially for lazy people like me.

I have that model and it works great on carbon and lead build up, especially revolver cylinders. I does not like slide glide, you must wipe it off first. I use Slide glide on all my auto's. I think it is worth every penny.

I have that model and it works great on carbon and lead build up, especially revolver cylinders. I does not like slide glide, you must wipe it off first. I use Slide glide on all my auto's. I think it is worth every penny.

Thanks qpqueen, that is very useful. I use slide glide on just about everything.

• 7 months later...
Any one has ever used the Ultrasonic for gun cleaning.I 've seen them at Midway and Harbor Frieght.Are they the same thing but the price.Are they safe for Glock .

Thanks

I have used the ultrasonic cleaner from Harbor Freight and have found it to be a very useful tool. I put everything in it with a little Simple Green, turn it on and several minutes later it comes out sparkly clean. Mine is not long enough for a full frame pistol (my mistake) but I can't imagine it damaging your Glock. There are differences in ultrasonic cleaners: Some heat the solution, and some have more powerful generators. These features may allow removal of really tough stuck-on gunk and reduce the cleaning time. However, IMHO the Harbor Freight unit works just fine and you will save a bunch of bucks.

Good luck!

I have used a small Harbor Freight ultrasonic cleaner for a couple of years and I think it is GREAT! If mine was a larger model (my mistake) I wouldn't hesitate to put my Glock in it for cleaning. I would go with the Harbor Freight unit and some Simple Green. I'm sure the Midway model is great, and it probably has a larger generator, but for occasional home use, I think you will be very happy with the one from H.F.

I though you just tossed glocks and got a new one when they got too dirty to shoot... :roflol:

Seriously, it depends on how whatever cleaning solution you are using interacts with the polymer. I know for a fact that Ed at www.justglocks.com has used an ultasonic cleaner for years on his range guns. His phone number and email is on the web page. Call him and ask.

Yuthh,

It's a Glock. When I was real young and did the armorer's course (January 1992) we were told "clean and wipe dry. Use lube

lightly".

Since you case pro (if you were to reload...) I can't imagine a problem. Over the years I've seen a lot of Bullet Master go through

them flawlessly. Have you considered our Nationals? They will be in Vegas. High demand slot!

Joel

Ultrasonic cleaners are a great tool, but be careful about the finish of some guns. A buddy of mine ran his Ruger blackhawk through one, and it removed all the black paint from the aluminum parts... They're great on most normal guns; we clean the heck out of chromed, blued, and melonite type finishes, but paint is a big no no. On the upside, my buddy did have a distinctive-looking 2 tone revolver...

Ultrasonic cleaners are a great tool, but be careful about the finish of some guns. A buddy of mine ran his Ruger blackhawk through one, and it removed all the black paint from the aluminum parts... They're great on most normal guns; we clean the heck out of chromed, blued, and melonite type finishes, but paint is a big no no. On the upside, my buddy did have a distinctive-looking 2 tone revolver...

Someone in our shop made the mistake once of using the wrong type of degreaser in an ultrasonic cleaner on an alloy framed Sig. With whatever type of degreaser he used, is actually sucked all of the pigment out of the anodizing and severely discolored the frame (I think it turned some sort of dull gray). The hard anodizing still appeared to be there but the pigment used to make it look black had disappeared. Long story short, be careful what solutions and parts you use in them...

Edited by Rln_21

I bought one a couple of years ago from Brownells and it really got my guns clean. Mostly 1911s but I noticed one of my front sights with the nuclear light went dim. I do not know if it was from the ulatra sonic or not. If anyone knows, I would be interested in hearing..

a local gunsmith advised me if I did it over again to get one with a heater (mine does not have it). He uses his for large batches of guns but swears by his compressor for one at a time. I have to agree. If I set my unit up, it takes up space and it is not something I would want to take out and put away every time. I ran a line from a compressor into my shop and it cleans my guns good enough for everyday use. I only use the ultra sonic when I have something in BAD shape...

Thanks for the topic...

I bought one a couple of years ago from Brownells and it really got my guns clean. Mostly 1911s but I noticed one of my front sights with the nuclear light went dim. I do not know if it was from the ulatra sonic or not. If anyone knows, I would be interested in hearing..

They did tell us in an armorer's class not to run an ultrasonic on tritium sights more than "10 or 15 minutes." They didn't say what it would do, but I saw a post on another forum that said it would take out the adhesive between the tritium vial and the sight itself, making it fall out. No first hand experience.

bought that unit from midway and it works great. i have found the unit to be most useful on the cylinder of revolvers and the extractor of my autos. it will get places with powder residue and carbon cleaner than you have ever seen. i do wish it did a better job on barrels. pretty sure ultrasonics have a tough time with heavy materials like lead or copper inside the barrel. as far as night sights go i've put a few guns with trij sights for longer than ten or fifteen minutes and have had no problems yet. i have only used the solutions from midway (both the cleaner and the oil) and if i did it over again i don't know that i would spend the money on the oil. the oil smells pretty similar to kerosene. i just lube em with brake free and blow off excess with a compressor.