Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Hat Cam

dskd

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Go Pro Hero 3

It's a self contained unit that records on an SD card. No cables, and the helmet package comes with a headstrap.

It's good, cheap, and small enough not to be a huge pain in the ass.

Here's a pick that Aikidale took at the IN Sectional:

in089.jpg

And here's one taken at the same match by rtr:

2558713602_a3542dd9fa.jpg

And here's the video from the match...apparently my lens got a bit dusty during the two short courses:

th_IndianaSectional2008.jpg

Unfortunately, Samsung has discontinued this entire line after having encountered "several technical imperfections with the units".

I havn't had any problems with mine and there are several places online to buy them still. I have been able to find them for under $300 every time someone askes where to get one. YMMV

I've ordered one of the Oregon Scientific units. Not an ideal solution, but for $96 from Amazon, it was worth trying out.

I looked for the Samsung camera and could only find a few used ones ($350+), and a few NIB on ebay for around the same price. There were also two other newer versions, the SC-X300L (which appears to still be available in Asia) and a wireless unit, all released within the past 3 years and all discontinued. I wonder if people were "pushing" them too far and breaking them a lot - they certainly all got very good reviews. Pity.

Yep I use a Samsung SC-X210L. Probably the easiest, no hassle hatcam on the market. With many more features to make it very versatile. I have been using it for quite sometime and haven't had any problems with it. And as far as holding up the squad.... I would have to agree with Jim that there are far more people wasting time messing with there other equipment than people and their hatcams. But that is just my observations. I just bolt mine onto my hat brim using a 7/16" bolt. Or you can mount it to a tripod and have a 3rd party video you also....Shown on a mini-pod for demonstration purposes, it does mount to a standard tripod as well.

post-5009-1217868326_thumb.jpg

post-5009-1217868334_thumb.jpg

Edited to add that my training videos on my YouTube page were videoed using this camera on a full sized tripod....

I have the same set up but my cord is dead and the aux lens is useless. I have just started to use it as a simple camcorder.

I think I went the least expensive route possible with the Tony Hawk Helmet cam. I think it was $40 or so and the video ain't great but it'll work in a pinch. Uses an SD card and starts recording with one touch of a button with an audible beep to let you know it's going. The one thing I DO NOT like is that it is a side mount instead of a center mount on the cap visor. I might see if I can modify it to accept some sort of brim clip.

Here's a video... it IS a $40 camera after all.

IMO, hat cams are a lot of fun and take cool video, but aren't as good for most training as a regular camera looking at all of you.

Yeah- I think that the external view is more benefitial from a training tool standpoint. But it is helpful to see the behind the gun view also. It is nice to have options.

IMO, hat cams are a lot of fun and take cool video, but aren't as good for most training as a regular camera looking at all of you.

Yeah- I think that the external view is more benefitial from a training tool standpoint. But it is helpful to see the behind the gun view also. It is nice to have options.

I use mine to see why I was not able to call the shot correctly. You can only do that with a hat cam.

• 2 weeks later...
I think I went the least expensive route possible with the Tony Hawk Helmet cam. I think it was $40 or so and the video ain't great but it'll work in a pinch. Uses an SD card and starts recording with one touch of a button with an audible beep to let you know it's going. The one thing I DO NOT like is that it is a side mount instead of a center mount on the cap visor. I might see if I can modify it to accept some sort of brim clip.

Here's a video... it IS a $40 camera after all.

I can't see how you can go wrong with that price the video looks good enough. is there a way to mount it in the center of a brim of a hat? maybe just getto it with zip ties through the brim.

• 3 months later...

I went the cheap route and picked one of the Oregon Scientific cameras from Sams Club for $89. I modified an old set of ear muffs the night before the GA State match, and experimented. It is difficult to make sure the camera is pointing in the right direction (as can be seen in the video), but I think it is pretty cool. Like others said, I'm not sure it is of much training use, but it is fun to watch.

th_GAState2.jpg

• 7 months later...

I still very much love my POV VIO. I have shot through a storm, literally, with my hat cam even being fully submerged in water (don't ask) and it is still ticking and taking great quality videos. I just have it mounted on my earmuffs on a "pictanny" rail mount zip tied to place. I take them off when I am not shooting and use plugs. It is very easy to remove and put back on. It's just a matter of taking your ear muffs off and taking the recording unit out of your pocket, that's it.

Because of the way I have it mounted on my earmuffs, my camera never moves or bounces, unless I do and stays pointed correctly as long as my earmuffs are on my head, which I've never had a problem with. Problem with putting it on your hat is, it tends to "bounce" more because of the weight on the brim of the hat that's not made to bear any weight.

3161_1095591001178_1568682177_23139.jpg

The unit just slips in my back pocket. I hit record and lock it before the RO gives me the "make ready" command usually while everyone is finishing setting/taping the stage. And hit stop when it is over. I have shot with and without my gear, it is hardly a feat hard to master.

Edited by Aristotle

Dang it Aristotle. You had me watch those ~13 shots at 3 poppers. Again. (I hope there was some paper targets in there?)

yes, there were 2 papers hiding back there, and 4 steel (center was forward falling). 2 alpha, alpha charlie on the two paper. It's just that damn PP to the left looked like this when I was shooting at it = :roflol:

Edited by Aristotle

I still very much love my POV VIO. I have shot through a storm, literally, with my hat cam even being fully submerged in water (don't ask) and it is still ticking and taking great quality videos. I just have it mounted on my earmuffs on a "pictanny" rail mount zip tied to place. I take them off when I am not shooting and use plugs. It is very easy to remove and put back on. It's just a matter of taking your ear muffs off and taking the recording unit out of your pocket, that's it.

Because of the way I have it mounted on my earmuffs, my camera never moves or bounces, unless I do and stays pointed correctly as long as my earmuffs are on my head, which I've never had a problem with. Problem with putting it on your hat is, it tends to "bounce" more because of the weight on the brim of the hat that's not made to bear any weight.

The unit just slips in my back pocket. I hit record and lock it before the RO gives me the "make ready" command usually while everyone is finishing setting/taping the stage. And hit stop when it is over. I have shot with and without my gear, it is hardly a feat hard to master.

This looks to be one of the cleanest and easiest setups I have seen so far. I think I am going to get one and mount it the same way, Could you send me a good close up pic of your mounting system?

patrick (AT) shooters101.com

Thanks

Edited by PHolsted

This looks to be one of the cleanest and easiest setups I have seen so far. I think I am going to get one and mount it the same way, Could you send me a good close up pic of your mounting system?

patrick (AT) shooters101.com

Thanks

Hi Patrick,

Here are the photo's, in case anyone else is curious. I'm sure I could have found a "cleaner" solution, but this is what has worked for me so I'm not going to fix what ain't broke.

povvio01.jpg

povvio02.jpg

povvio03.jpg

I am Left eye dominant and have found when I place the camera more towards 11: o'clock position, it centered towards my gun. And although I sometimes the camera cannot view through ports, I have found with the camera elevated, it placed my gun/arms lower in the screen allowing you to view more of the field/cof. Which I liked better.

ari002copy.jpg

Edited by Aristotle

I have a booster vision camera and rx/tx I mounted it inside a set of earmuffs. It worked well but I quit messing with it. I also used it for it’s intended purpose on an rc airplane but the best use I’ve found for it is seeing bullet holes in very distant targets I’ve used it out to 800 yards with no problem.

The one I have has the hi gain antenna so it cost $130 but if you are just doing upclose stuff you could get away with the $70 one.

http://www.boostervision.com/cart/scripts/...p?idCategory=41

post-6631-1249831099_thumb.jpg

I have a booster vision camera and rx/tx I mounted it inside a set of earmuffs. It worked well but I quit messing with it. I also used it for it’s intended purpose on an rc airplane but the best use I’ve found for it is seeing bullet holes in very distant targets I’ve used it out to 800 yards with no problem.

The one I have has the hi gain antenna so it cost $130 but if you are just doing upclose stuff you could get away with the $70 one.

http://www.boostervision.com/cart/scripts/...p?idCategory=41

So for this you just plug the RCA jack into the camera input jack and you can record 300 to 500 foot away?